AFI Top Ten Animated Features

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I remember bits and pieces of the show you're talking about, I must have been making dinner or something when it was on.

As for Shrek 2, I turned it off about the middle. My granddaughter was bored with it, I found it offensive, and she didn't get any of the 'jokes'. In Shrek 1 the jokes were fairy tale related so children and adults could enjoy but 2 was mainly aimed at adults. The cat, although cute to adults, made no sense to kids, they don't think of romance as he puts it across.

I did however like the non-Disney An American Tail, and its sequel. An American Tail Goes West. That little mouse, Fieval, is adorable.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

What? No "Secret of N.I.M.H.," "Fritz the Cat," "Heavy Metal" or "Alladin?" Should their list be qualified as the "Top Ten Politically Correct Animated Features?" or the "Top Ten Safest Choices We Could Make?" My memory isn't what it should be, but from about 1990 until about 1997 or so, there wasn't an animated feature that I didn't take my son to see. I know they weren't all from Disney either. What I do remember is that some of them were so original and well done that they put some of the films on this list to absolute shame! Has the AFI lost some of the import and luster it used to bear? Someone that's better informed than me please answer that if you would. Thanks...

As always,

Hollis
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

cinemalover wrote:Mike,
I would have replaced Cinderella with Sleeping Beauty for their fabulous use of design and color.
Sleeping Beauty should indeed have made this list. Artistically, it excels beyond the lower tier titles.

Would Yellow Submarine have qualified (was it UK or US)? If so, I would've considered substituting it for Cinderella or Shrek...it was surely an important animated film, if nothing else.

-Stephen
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Judith, it rings a bell with me too. I think it must have been shown here over some holidays. Like Anne I can't remember watching it all. Perhaps I was making the tea too.

I've checked Amazon.co.uk and they have three titles all listed at 129 minutes which suggest it might have been cut down from the version you originally saw.

Anne, I've never watched Shrek 2 all the way through, I do have my reservations at that kind of humour being aimed at very young children. My kids don't care that much for either version, my daughter being five likes the perfect world of Disney princesses. I think when she's older she'll appreciate the sentiment in Shrek a little better.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

ccf--Both Shrek and Shrek 2 are rated PG in the U.S. and may be inappropriate for young children. (Particularly Shrek 2, my nephew was eight or nine, I think, before he saw Shrek 2. He has a cat, and loved the Puss-in-Boots character.)

Stephen--Yellow Submarine was a co-production between the UK and US, which I guess makes it ineligible. It'd have gotten my vote.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've not a clue what they're rated here. I'm sure I recorded them off the TV. They haven't got into Shrek at all, my husband's the fan. Joe likes The Incredibles I've not seen that all the way through either. If they decide to settle down and watch a movie, which isn't often I use the opportunity to get on with housework. Hence all the kids films that I see the first ten minutes of.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin