Top 10 Silent Screen Beauties

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Gagman, I've never watched Marceline in anything but The Cameraman, she plays so well with Buster Keaton. I've recently got The Beloved Rogue so I'll be watching that some time soon. I've heard about Captain Salvation, Lars Hanson has been good in everything else I've watched him in.

Another actress I like from the late twenties is Dorothy Sebastien. Her two best films that I've seen are A Woman of Affairs and Spite Marriage.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

As far as I can tell, Volume 2 has not been slated for release, yet. We need to keep our fingers crossed that they are looking for a Christmas release.

As for The Black Bird, I read your rave review as well as the right-up in one of the Chaney bios I have, and it does sound great. I assume Robert Israel was commissioned for a score, was it to accompany the film in some kind of retrospective? I have no idea how this works. My assumption was that a film was restored and a score commissioned for a home video/TV broadcast release. Why anyone would restore a film, and have a commissioned score (particularly by the likes of Robert Israel) and not release it to the public is beyond me. Count yourself lucky for being able to see the film. Let’s hope that eventually it will become available soon.

In regards to this thread, I forgot to add the “dark lady of the Silents”, Miriam Cooper!

Michigan3,

:? We really need to pool are efforts to get our own TCM over here in the States to show THE BLACK BIRD, and if they have it ready THE COSSACKS, among others. And where is MAN, WOMAN & SIN? Why has Henry King's THE WHITE SISTER aired on TCM France but not in this Country? I don't understand any of this? :(

:roll: Anyone who wants to see the new restoration of Tod Browning's THE BLACK BIRD with Robert Israel score, please request it on TCM, and also vote for the film to be released on DVD using the TCM Movie Data Base! While your at it, please vote for THE BIG PARADE too! It's ludicrious that this movie is still not out on official DVD. I am still waiting for the brand new 2004 restoration to pop up on TCM!
Last edited by Gagman 66 on July 4th, 2008, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Gagman, I decided to watch The Beloved Rogue to reevaluate Marceline Day. I have to say in this she isn't half as attractive to me as she was in The Cameraman. I think I know what it is, it's the costumes and hairstyles.

I like my silent actresses to be in the fashions of the twenties. It's one of my favorite eras for clothes and bobbed hair. Most of the actresses of the day looked better once they had bobbed their hair. There are exceptions like Mary Pickford whose curls were so beautiful.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Well, CAPTAIN SALVATION is another period piece. So You probably would not like Marceline Day in that picture either. Anyway, she is mostly upstaged by Pauline Stark in the film.

:roll: Kyle's LD tansfer is the same verison of THE BELOVED ROGUE that Image released on DVD, but Kyle's transfer is way sharper and clearer than the official release, which looks really dark and drab! If you are looking at the Image DVD (or is it Kino), I can understand your not being all that impressed? Did you ike the movie?
charliechaplinfan

I do like some period pieces films but on the whole I prefer modern pieces if that's the right word to describe films made in the 1920's, set in the 1920's.

The Beloved Rogue, hmm, it was far from being my favorite silent. I have two problems with it, I think John Barrymore needed sound, I don't find him at all convincing in silents, he's a bit too old to play the athletic hero. I liked his character in Tempest. I've loved all his sound films. My second problem is that I much prefer the sound adaptation of this film with Ronald Colman If I Were King.

Having said that if you like period pieces, it's a good film to watch.
bdp

Post by bdp »

Hey, there's an absolute raving beauty in The Beloved Rogue - she can be seen behind Barrymore early in the film, a blonde.
charliechaplinfan

Well I missed her, is she anyone who became famous or did she just vanish never to be heard of again?
bdp

Post by bdp »

I don't know... :oops:
feaito

Post by feaito »

Julanne Johnston looks quite alluring in "Thief of Baghdad".

And what about Barbara La Marr? Said to be one of the most beautiful women ever, at least in stills she doesn't look that ravishing. Has anyone seen her on film?

Billie Dove was another actress who looked very beautiful, especially in the late twenties and early thirties.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Featio,

:) Yes, Barbara La Marr is in SOULS FOR SALE with Eleanor Boardman, Lew Cody, and Richard Dix. To be honest, I never even noticed her? I might have her in a few more films? I have dozens of Silent films that I have not watched yet? Anyway, to me Boardman looked allot better. In SOULS FOR SALE and WINE OF YOUTH Eleanor is quite lovely. Her beauty was downplayed somewhat in TELL IT TO THE MARINES, though it is a great movie.

:o Corinne Griffith was generally considered the most beautiful woman in the Movies during the 20's. Gloria Swanson herself considered Corinne The most beautiful Woman she had ever seen. Jacqueline Logan was not far behind. I have a couple of Logan's films other than THE KING OF KINGS, including THE LOOK OUT GIRL. I have forgotten the name of the other one? Logan was Super-duper Gorgeous, but sadly the films are in horrendous shape! :(

:D I'll agree, Julian Johnston looked great in Fairbanks THE THIEF OF BAGDAD. I haven't seen her in much else though. If anything?
charliechaplinfan

I watched Souls For Sale and Barbara LaMarr did not stand at all for me. She doesn't stand out for me in stills either. Perhaps it's fashions and styles that change, that look doesn't translate as well.

Eleanor Boardman has an understated elegance. I like her.
drednm

Post by drednm »

A top ten list in this category is certainly intriguing and many greats names have been mentioned

To me Gloria Swanson is the epitome of glamor even if at times a tad excessive. Her silent films tie her to very specific styles but then I guess that's true for everyone. Swanson is the personification of 20s exotica.

I also agree about Marion Davies: talented and gorgeous and not afraid to look dowdy. She had amazing blue eyes.

Louise Brooks was a witch on wheels but stunning in her minimalism.

Not known now for her beauty, but Mary Pickford was, when playing an adult, a great beauty.

Likewise, the great Lillian Gish was like a porcelain doll.

Drama queen Norma Talmadge had a regal beauty that fit her personality perfectly.

Clara Bow may have been more sexy than beautiful but that shock of red hair was an attention getter.

Although I always thought she resembled Davies, British-born Dorothy Mackaill was another Ziegfeld Girl who made the top ranks.

The fragile Dolores Costello may have rivaled Gish for doll-like beauty.

Betty Compson had a quality about her that exuded beauty even with her charmingly crooked smile.

And the obscure Miriam Cooper, an early Griffith heroine, had a dark and sad beauty that seems more modern than many others of the silent set.
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I've been lurking here for a while and finally got around to registering. :)

My favorite actress of any era and the one who was definitely the most beautiful lady of the silents (well, at least according to me :wink: ) was Clara Bow.

Hi SilentScreen,
I love your Jean Arthur avatar. Jean, Barbara Stanwyck and Clara Bow are my fave actresses (with Clara just having a slight edge as my very fave).

Angie
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome Angie/Coopsgirl!

As you'll find, there are many members who appreciate Clara Bow as well. I hope that you'll go from "lurking" (which you're welcome to do too) to offering your own thoughts whenever the mood strikes you. Many of us have enjoyed your posts on the TCM message board and look forward to seeing them here as well.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Thanks Moirafinnie! I will definitely be a regular poster and it’s nice to see so many people from the TCM board here. There were so many wonderful actors and actresses of the silent era (and sound too :wink: ) and I get tickled with myself sometimes b/c I know them better than most of the people working today.

Also, how could I forget about Esther Ralston, she was beautiful. I have an autographed copy of the book she wrote and I’m so proud of it. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet but judging by the bits I’ve seen just skimming through it, it should be very interesting.