Anybody watch this today? Fort Worth

mrsl

Anybody watch this today? Fort Worth

Post by mrsl »

This Randolph Scott 1951 film surprised me. I don't believe I ever heard of it before but it was one of several that Scott did with director Edwin Marin, it seemed very much like an 'A' movie. The technicolor was perfect, the camera work was good, and the acting (except for the bad guy leader) was better than a lot of todays main line. As usual in 50's western films, there were several people in it that you would know from TV such as Paul Picerni (the Untouchables), and Ray Teal (Sheriff from Bonanza).

Through most of the movie, you're not sure if David Brian is a good guy or a bad guy, but being David Brian, you kind of know he has to be no good, if you're a Western fan. Randy comes into town with a wagon train with a newspaper press, planning to go on to San Antonio but stays in Forth Worth when he finds his old friend (Brian) there as well as his old girlfriend (Phyllis Thaxter). Between a weak sheriff, shady land deals, and a lot of knifing in the back (literally and figuratively), Randy cleans up all of it, and ends up in one of those rare ones where he gets the girl.

Won't win any awards, but good to spend a couple of lazy hours on a quiet afternoon or evening.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************