Open Range

stuart.uk

Open Range

Post by stuart.uk »

IMO Open Range is a classic western that compares to the great movies of the genre made in the 40s and 50s.

I thought after he had made Dances With Wolves that Kevin Costner might be an actor/director in the Chaplin mould, but since then he didn't appear to live up to the potential of that great epic, but Open Range change that to a degree.

Coster was good as the ex-gunfighter Charlie, turned cowboy, but forced to return to his old skills in dealing with the bad guys, who steal his and Robert Duvall's herd and kill one of their men.

It was a delightful pairing of Costner and Annette Benning, in what was the films love story.

With the possible exception of John Wayne in The Shootist and James Arness in the Gunsmoke movies of the 90s, I can't think of anyone better of that age group that was as good as Robert Duvall in the saddle.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is one of the few movies I went to see at the theater that I wanted to see. Have seen it quite a few times since then and I quite enjoy it.

Costner made a smart move with making the movie more than about his character. He nad Benning are fine together and I like the fact that they both play their ages. I think that it is a nice touch that while Costner uses his past experience, which is really bad, he shows he has changed or had some etiquette as he is always the utmost gentleman when he is with Benning. She even chastises him in the bar after the gunfight. That is a nice seen.

One of the great shootouts I think. As always, there are problems with the number of shots fired versus the reloading but it seems realistic. I found myself rewatching that segment, which lasts about twenty minutes, and comparing it to others I have seen.

Duvall is great but is he really doing Gus from "Lonesome Dove" again? That is not a complaint as it is a great role but would seem easy to fall back on.

For those who haven't seen it there is some graphic violence but it's well worth the time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

I liked Open Range a great deal, even though I was actually prepared to be pretty darn skeptical about it.
But I was won over, by several dozen important little touches that put it well above the "modern norm" for serious new Westerns.
In my opinion, this film's "hidden treasure" is the dialogue delivered by Robert Duvall's trail boss character. Not since Arthur Hunnicut in The Big Sky have I listened to an old west/frontier/pioneer character whose spoken voice is so incredibly, continually magnetic; small wonder so many of us have to subconciously remind ourselves that Duvall's remarks & statements are really lines memorized from a script!
:shock: Now that's suspension of disbelief!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Stuart,
While I found many of Kevin Costner's films since Dances With Wolves to be tedious at best, as he's aged he seems to be becoming a better actor, and less likely to make every movie a blockbuster, but instead has shown an interest in a well made story with strong character studies again. Open Range (2003) seems to be a good example of this trend on his part.

I thought that the relationship with Annette Benning was both refreshingly romantic and earthy. I especially like the scene when the embarrassed Kevin Costner surreptitiously tries to buy a set of china for Annette just before he faces off the bad guys. Of equal importance in the film seemed to be the deep friendship that Costner had with the older and somewhat wiser Robert Duvall, which was carefully developed. Another element in the movie that was also almost another character was the land itself, in all its regal and harsh beauty. I believe that this movie was filmed in Alberta, Canada, standing in for Wyoming. As with all movies I've seen filmed in that part of Canada, this one made me long to visit the region.

Still, I found that Open Range (2003) had some problems of length. Hasn't anyone pointed out to Costner that the greatest Western filmmakers of all time, such as Ford, Walsh, and Hathaway, told their most beautifully crafted stories in one and a half hours, (tops 119 minutes for The Searchers)?

I would recommend a rather different movie of Costner's to anyone as well: the domestic drama that allowed him to play a likable reprobate and perennial adolescent opposite Joan Allen in The Upside of Anger. A really well acted story.
Last edited by moira finnie on September 18th, 2008, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

....and Boetticher usually at 80 minutes, tops.

That was the only real issue I had with it too.

I have the DVD with the Special Features disc and they show a take where Michael Jeter reads the letter Costner wrote and that he cries when he reads it. The sad part is that Jeter was very ill with cancer and the scene was heartbreaking and a little too much heartbreaking for the movie. Interesting in how they make a movie.

As Moira was speaking of dialogue that reminded that all of it is fairly smart and at times eloquent even in its simplicity. "And if I don't see you again I want you to know that I meant everything I said to you today." (At least as near as I can remember it.) Costner, with hat in hand, to Benning.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I know many of you hate it, but for another great Robert Duvall western where he is the older mentor, watch Broken Trail sometime. It is a four hour mini series, but now they show it all the way through, so you would probably want to tape it, but it is another fine example of Mr. Duvall's expert acting abilities.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I haven't seen it since its first release, but I liked "Open Range" a lot. Duvall was splendid, and the Costner-Benning relationship was very interesting and enjoyable.
rohanaka

Re: Open Range

Post by rohanaka »

Hello folks... I am making my way through some of these threads bit by bit... and I thought I would blow a little dust off of this one and add a few comments about this film.
moirafinnie wrote:I thought that the relationship with Annette Benning was both refreshingly romantic and earthy. I especially like the scene when the embarrassed Kevin Costner surreptitiously tries to buy a set of china for Annette just before he faces off the bad guys. Of equal importance in the film seemed to be the deep friendship that Costner had with the older and somewhat wiser Robert Duvall, which was carefully developed. Another element in the movie that was also almost another character was the land itself, in all its regal and harsh beauty. I believe that this movie was filmed in Alberta, Canada, standing in for Wyoming. As with all movies I've seen filmed in that part of Canada, this one made me long to visit the region
OK.. I confess, I am NO Kevin Costner fan (I am not even much of an Annette Benning fan) but I have to say... they were WONDERFUL together in this film. Their relationship (or rather the forming of their relationship) is one my favorite aspects of this entire story. (PS.... the scene where he buys the china... UGH... I am reaching for the kleenex right now) ha.

But for me, the biggest draw for this film was Robert Duvall. I will watch almost ANYTHING (especially if it is "westerny") if he is in it. I have always loved his manner of speaking, the way he has of turning a phrase, and I just think this sort of character was just so "HIM". He carries it off very believably. And it put me at least a little bit in mind of his "Gus" character from Lonesome Dove (which is one of my favorite cowboy roles EVER) . And PS.. I am giving a nod to his role in the other film that was mentioned on here earlier (Broken Trail) for the same reason. (He made that whole llllloooonnnngggg (ha) movie for me)

But getting back to Open Range... I have to say that for such a "gritty" sort of story, it is very touching and emotional in a lot of ways. And not all of it has to do with Costner/Benning. There's a lot of emotion in those rough and ragged manly men too(ha) and I like how it all comes to the surface now and then. (one of my favorite scenes is the little chat they have when they are eating chocolate just before the big shoot out) And Ms. Finnie... you are right on about the landscape. "Harsh beauty" is the perfect way to describe it. It is definitely a very appealing part of the story for me as well.

I would not put this at the top on my list of all time favorite westerns. And I am sure that some trimming down could have been done to the story to shorten it up a bit (though I can't recall off the top of my head right now just what I would recommend) But all in all... if you can handle the "grittier" side and the violence (which was NOT horrible... but still "there") I would consider this film one of the better "modern" westerns.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Another emotional part of the film that part of wound up using an alternate take was the Michael Jeter scene just before the shootout. He reads the letter from Costner about buying her the china. (This may be what you refer to.) In one of the takes in the extras Jeter becomes quite emotional reading that letter. The way the letter starts "If I do not make it..." Jeter was very ill with cancer at the time and did die shortly after cries that you can see his tears fall. Heartfelt but not really fitting with his part in the scene.

Even among the tough men of this group there is still a code of conduct and manners to be shown expecially to ladies. When Costner says his good bye to Benning he is polite, heartfelt and humble just before he is off to kill people. He knows it and tells her and that is just part of the way it is.

Could have been trimmed some but a welcome addition to the modern westerns.
Chris

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Oh Chris... I watched this movie again last night.. (It came on just as I was about to call it a day... so I was up late.. and I am a bleary eyed mess now.. ha) I had not seen it in a while and wanted to watch it again after remembering the stuff in this thread....

I really enjoyed it. But boy... everytime I see it.... I am reminded of the "gritty" ending.. VERY violent.
movieman1957 wrote:Even among the tough men of this group there is still a code of conduct and manners to be shown expecially to ladies. When Costner says his good bye to Benning he is polite, heartfelt and humble just before he is off to kill people. He knows it and tells her and that is just part of the way it is.
That stood out even more than ever for me this time. The relationship between Costner and Benning is really touching. And I noticed that (after he finds out she is not married) it is like they start having this conversation... and it doesn't end when he leaves... they just pick it back up where they left off the next time they see each other. And that keeps happening several times... until (SPOILER) he finally proposes to her in the garden. It was like all their exchanges from the time he is fixing breakfast in her kitchen, when he leaves (and comes back to say goodbye) and then when he calls for her to come talk to him in the saloon... and then finally when he sees her in the garden... it is the continuation of one long conversation. (at least that is how it seemed to me)

I watched the scenes w/ Jeter a lot more closely this time. I have ALWAY liked him, by the way.... (my favorite for him.... "Mr. Noodle" on Sesame Street...ha) I thought he did a really good job in this film. And the scene w/the letter is always very moving .... even w/ out the tear.

(Possible spoiler)
You know... this is a much more emotional story than it would appear (amongst all the violence and mayhem) And I REALLY like the parts where the townspeople get involved at the end. I appreciated the "We've had enough and we're taking our town back" sort of mentality. But I also saw it more from Costner's view too... as he watched the children who had just been witness to the whole thing... and the way even the women were involved in the "clean up".... I think he was sad for the loss of their "innocence" maybe. (another emotional moment... at least for me)

One of these days I will have the presence of mind to put a stinking tape in the VCR when this thing is on...ha. And then I won't have to stay up to all hours of the night just to watch it again... (PS.... I USED to have the same problem w/ Silverado... but was finally lucky enough to get that ONE on tape eventually) ha. I have always maintained I need a personal secretary to remind me to set the VCR... or at least to remind me to put in a TAPE!! I am such a lame brain sometimes... :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is interesting you thought of Benning and Costner as one long conversation. I never hit me that way but am interested to watch it again with that in mind.

The ending is violent but I think it fits the scenario and the men. The one part where Duvall shoots through the wall and hits that man knocking him into the building was quite a surprise and I wonder if accurate. At the end of that scene where they are all in the street shooting at each other reminded me of something I heard about the real OK Corral gunfight is that they were also all relatively close in distance and comparatively weren't that accurate so that may have played a little part in all that shooting.

"Silverado" also has a thread here if you haven't seen that one yet.
Chris

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

movieman1957 wrote:The ending is violent but I think it fits the scenario and the men. The one part where Duvall shoots through the wall and hits that man knocking him into the building was quite a surprise
I agree that is was a fitting scenario... but still I have to scrunch my eyes now and then....

Imminent Spoilage
For me.. the most surprising "shot" shot was the one at the beginning of the whole street shoot out scene... Costner says something like.... "did you kill my friend".... and then just starts walking forward while the idiot guy stands there blabbling away... and then... WHAMMO... lights out. He never saw it coming... that one gets me every time.

And then if you notice... from that moment on, it is like someone turns on a switch and he just turns into this Energizer Bunny Gun Hand (ha) ... and keeps going and going.... until he gets to the one guy who starts begging.... and at that point Duvall has to step in and shut the little bunny down... even if only for a moment.

And PS... thanks for the heads up on Silverado thread. Will check it out sometime.
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:
The one part where Duvall shoots through the wall and hits that man knocking him into the building was quite a surprise and I wonder if accurate.
Well, I can't pretend to know for sure, either, but I do know that two shells worth of medium buckshot from a 12 gauge will not only pretty much perforate a 40# wolverine from eleven feet away, but will also kick it airborne about another 30 feet.
So . . . maybe, huh? :roll:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I knew someone would know.
Chris

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I usually avoid like the plague modern westerns but somehow I did see OPEN RANGE on the big screen and was very impressed and agree with all that has been said about Costner and Benning. As For Robert Duvall, what a performance.