Barbara Stanwyck Centennial @ B.A.M.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Barbara Stanwyck Centennial @ B.A.M.

Post by MissGoddess »

* I couldn't figure out the best place to put this announcement, but if anyone can suggest another forum for it, I'll be happy to copy it over.

Barbara Stanwyck's fans in the New York area April 25th thru May 6th should check out the Brooklyn Academy of Music's centennial tribute to its fellow Brooklynite. It features rare screenings of pre-codes Baby Face & Ladies They Talk About, as well as Ball of Fire , Meet John Doe, Double Indemnity, The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Remember the Night and Douglas Sirk's All I Desire and There's Always Tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'll be there, especially for Ball of Fire and MJD.

Details:

http://www.bam.org/film/series.aspx?id= ... ble%20Bill
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Oh man! I'd LOVE to be there.

I mean, I'd really LOVE to be there! Babs is my favorite actress, and this would be a simply awesome experience. I'd love to watch some of her films with other Babs fans and meet some cool folks.

And no...the red lettering on the films with Coop was *not* lost on me. :P
MissGoddess

NY Times Article on Stanwyck Retrospective

Post by MissGoddess »

This is a great NY Times article on the Stanny films being shown at B.A.M.

The Infinite Variety of the Lady Stanwyck
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/movie ... ref=movies
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote:Oh man! I'd LOVE to be there.

I mean, I'd really LOVE to be there! Babs is my favorite actress, and this would be a simply awesome experience. I'd love to watch some of her films with other Babs fans and meet some cool folks.

And no...the red lettering on the films with Coop was *not* lost on me. :P
Lol! I'm so excited about seeing those two films I can't stand it! And really, I am also looking forward to The Bitter Tea of General Yen and maybe the pre-codes.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I finally got ahold of The Bitter Tea of General Yen recently. I've not watched it yet, but I am very much anticipating it. Alot of folks claim it as their favorite Babs film...so needless to say, I'm 'intrigued'.

It would be hard to beat Ball of Fire though. The more times I watch that film the better I like it.

But really...there are few things I'd rather do than sit around with a bunch of Babs fans, chat, and watch her films together.

Almost makes me wanna fly up there.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote:I finally got ahold of The Bitter Tea of General Yen recently. I've not watched it yet, but I am very much anticipating it. Alot of folks claim it as their favorite Babs film...so needless to say, I'm 'intrigued'.

It would be hard to beat Ball of Fire though. The more times I watch that film the better I like it.

But really...there are few things I'd rather do than sit around with a bunch of Babs fans, chat, and watch her films together.

Almost makes me wanna fly up there.
I saw TBToGY a long time ago but it left a peculiar and strong impression. It's one of the most unusual movies of the time, and I remember it as being quite erotic; not in the usual cheeky, shallow way of most pre-codes but in a more mysterious, insidious style. It will be interesting to see if my impressions hold up.

Ball of Fire isn't my favorite GC movie, but just to see what he's like on a giant screen is going to be quite an event for me. And then, of course, there's Meet John Doe to look forward to as well. It's really extraordinary how different these movies appear in a cinema, the details you never quite saw before (unless you have one of those gigantic 70" TVs).

You should fly up here!
Moraldo Rubini

Coming to a Theatre Near You

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Miss Goddess, please join us over in the Coming to a Theatre Near You thread that was started for wonderful announcements like your Barbara Stanwyck BAM event. Lynn has promised to make a similar announcement regarding the upcoming Barbara Stanwyck festivities on the Left Coast too.

I fantasized that you might go to the Farley Granger evening at Film Forum last night and report back on this thread:

http://plasticage.net/refugees/viewtopic.php?t=229

Any chance you were there?
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:
I saw TBToGY a long time ago but it left a peculiar and strong impression. It's one of the most unusual movies of the time, and I remember it as being quite erotic; not in the usual cheeky, shallow way of most pre-codes but in a more mysterious, insidious style. It will be interesting to see if my impressions hold up.
Well, I had just heard so much about that film that I simply had to get ahold of it somehow. I'll let you know what I think, of course.

I'm sure I'll like it though - I like everything she does.
Ball of Fire isn't my favorite GC movie, but just to see what he's like on a giant screen is going to be quite an event for me. And then, of course, there's Meet John Doe to look forward to as well. It's really extraordinary how different these movies appear in a cinema, the details you never quite saw before (unless you have one of those gigantic 70" TVs).

You should fly up here!
*teehee*

Well, I'm one of those that has a 60" HDTV. Is that close enough? :lol:

And yeah...Coop does look mighty fine on my semi-big screen. But I've never seen him in a theatre...so that would be a real treat for me.

I don't think they ever have any 'events' like this in Atlanta. :( Wish they did....I think the closest they come is an occasional screening of Gone With The Wind...for obvious reasons.

Seriously...if I had known about this sooner, I'd have flown up there. I'd have gone to museums during the day and Babs films at night. My family is from NYC for the most part - my mom was born in Brooklyn, in fact...and her brother's family still lives in Queens. So NYC is a place I love going.
MissGoddess

Re: Coming to a Theatre Near You

Post by MissGoddess »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Miss Goddess, please join us over in the Coming to a Theatre Near You thread that was started for wonderful announcements like your Barbara Stanwyck BAM event. Lynn has promised to make a similar announcement regarding the upcoming Barbara Stanwyck festivities on the Left Coast too.

I fantasized that you might go to the Farley Granger evening at Film Forum last night and report back on this thread:

http://plasticage.net/refugees/viewtopic.php?t=229

Any chance you were there?

Thanks, Moraldo! I copied my post over there so hopefully more fans will see it.

Unfortunately, I did not get to see Farley at the FF, though I did receive notice about it. I had something else going on but I'm sure it was interesting. The theaters are rather small so it makes it nice and intimate to listen to the guests and ask them questions. I did get to see Isabella Rossellini when she premiered her featurette about her father, Roberto. In fact, I got to meet her because she sat next to me during the screening!

My next foray to the FF will be to see Max Ophul's "The Earrings of Madame de..." which I have always heard raves about but never seen.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote: I don't think they ever have any 'events' like this in Atlanta. :( Wish they did....I think the closest they come is an occasional screening of Gone With The Wind...for obvious reasons.

Seriously...if I had known about this sooner, I'd have flown up there. I'd have gone to museums during the day and Babs films at night. My family is from NYC for the most part - my mom was born in Brooklyn, in fact...and her brother's family still lives in Queens. So NYC is a place I love going.
It's ironic that Atlanta doesn't have more of a classic film base to encourage attendance at revivals because TCM is based there! And isn't Teddy from there originally? I know he's a southern boy. I do think, however, there is more interest today than 15 or 20 years ago in seeing the classics in general, especially by young people. I hope this "trend" continues to grow. :) But if you change your mind about coming to NYC, the screenings go on until May 6.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ You know, though...I don't think most of Atlanta even knows TCM is here...and if they do, they don't care. TCM is not a highly visible entity in the Atlanta business community. CNN sorta has the edge when it comes to media emanating out of Atlanta. I mean, next to CNN, TCM is more like TCWho? :lol:

And yeah...Ted is 'the man' around here. The stadium that the Braves play in, for example, is called Turner Field.

Where you can pay $6.00 for a hot dog. :P
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote:^ You know, though...I don't think most of Atlanta even knows TCM is here...and if they do, they don't care. TCM is not a highly visible entity in the Atlanta business community. CNN sorta has the edge when it comes to media emanating out of Atlanta. I mean, next to CNN, TCM is more like TCWho? :lol:

And yeah...Ted is 'the man' around here. The stadium that the Braves play in, for example, is called Turner Field.

Where you can pay $6.00 for a hot dog. :P
I must confess I find Teddy rather attractive---I mean not looks-wise but his personality is the kind I like. Rather dynamic and I've been told by someone who met him that he is charismatic and has a way of looking at you that is very strong. By the way---are you going to enter the guest programmer contest?

P.S. I think hot dogs at Yankee Stadium are $4.50. I thought that was steep! Good thing they give me a stomach ache so I don't eat them. :wink:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I actually like Ted also.

Here, although he is 'the man' in the sense of being more wealthy than God, he is not particularly popular - chiefly due to his politics. This state is a WAY red state...and so stuff like giving about a bazillion dollars to the U.N., while impressive and generous in MY book, was looked upon by alot of people here as Ted's effort to prop up an almost anti-American entity that we shouldn't even be involved with anyway. :lol: ("Anti-American" being defined as "anyone who doesn't give us our way 100% of the time. :P )

Some people claim that they don't like him because he seems too 'redneck' for their tastes. But the thing is, being 'redneck' in this state is hardly an anomaly....and the rest of the 'rednecks' seem to fit in just fine. In fact, they pretty much RUN the place. So I find that particular gripe about Ted to be pretty hypocritical.

Personally...I think they simply don't like him because he is rich...and liberal.

But as for me, I think he's a smart man, a good businessman, and pretty doggone generous as well. And he's done alot for Atlanta. And personally, I hope he keeps doing what he's doing...and in the way he's been doing it. If for no other reason than to piss 'em off and blast 'em out of their comfort zones. :twisted:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

And I'd not thought about entering the guest programmer contest.

I've heard snippets about it, but with TiVo, I rarely watch a film in real time...and I FF through just about everything but the actual film itself....plus the commentary from Bob and Ben.

I slowed the thing down to watch one of the new film lead-ins yesterday...and I think it might have been the first time I watched anything that wasn't part of the actual programming since December....when I watched Maria's thing about 200 times. :P

I have STILL not watched one of those Tarzan or Jeanette MacDonald promos all the way through. :lol:

Aren't I terrible?

So how do you sign up? Cus I'd love to win a free trip to.....downtown.

Seriously though...I'd have a good time picking films. But poor Bob wouldn't know WHAT to do with MY brand of commentary. I don't think they've ever HAD a fangirl guest programmer before! 8)

"Yes, Bob...I picked this first film, Ball of Fire because....Gary Cooper is WAY HOT! And soooooo ADORABLE in this one!!! Plus, Nerds Win! Go Nerds!"

"And I picked the second film of the evening, The Adventures of Don Juan, because...well..... ERROL FLYNN IN TIGHTS!!!! Now, come ON!!!! Need I *really* say more than that, Bob????" :roll:

"My third selection of the evening, Bob, is The Sheik. I mean, who wouldn't want to get dragged off to Valentino's tent??? Can you answer me that, Bob?????"

"Yes...my final film of the evening, All This And Heaven Too was selected because...well, Charles Boyer is just the sexiest thing EVER in this film. Don't you agree, Bob?????"

"Don't you????"

"Bob?"

*looks around in a panic*

"Bob?"

"Oh Booooooob?"

"Say...why did Bob jump out the window?" :?

:lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lol! Both your posts had me breaking up. :lol: And I said just about the same thing about the contest in its own thread, under TCM General Discussions, I think. I simply would stand there saying: Gary is so cute in this scene and here he looks absolutely gorgeous and....Bob? Bob? Whoa, Bob?