Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by mrsl »

Although never a fan, I do feel bad that he left us at such a youngish age. I watched him often on talk shows, and two of his HBO one man shows but his comedy was too California based for me. I know nothing about the city of L.A. and when he made jokes about certain aspects or neighborhoods I had no idea what he was talking about. I do admit that I did like him in Good Morning America but in that, the lines were written for him. He may have changed later in life, but I had already given up on him.

Rest in Peace, Robin.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ed Nelson, an actor whose decades of work was usually unsung, has died at age 85. He wrote a delightful memoir about his journeyman career and his New Orleans roots. More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/arts/ ... at-85.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm sorry to report that Lauren Bacall has passed away at 89. From EW:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/12/lauren-bacall

I know I'm a sentimental fool, but this is how I hope things ended, in a little town on the coast. May they both rest in peace now:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

The coroner's report is available now. Mr. Williams hanged himself, after cutting one wrist:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/arts/ ... -says.html

I never knew he had issues with depression and addiction, and pray that he has peace now.

While I didn't care for his earlier work such as in the television series Mork and Mindy, as his work matured I developed a real appreciation. The first time I really enjoyed one of his performances was in Dead Poets Society. Although my all-time favorite of his films is probably The Birdcage, I respect his dramatic performances, such as in Good Will Hunting, The Night Listener, and One Hour Photo, a little more.
Professional Tourist

Oh no, now Lauren Bacall is gone too. :cry:

Well, she lived eighty-nine full years and went quickly at home from a stroke.

Here she was five years ago, atop the Empire State Building :) :

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Again I say, only in the classic film world, would someone at 89 elicit a reaction like "Oh no. So soon!" She was special. Tough, feline, sultry, no nonsense. Her intro to the world in "TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT" like a panther, facing Bogie. "WRITTEN ON THE WIND" just played at the TCM film festival this April. I don't know guys...I can't I can't I can't take it. Look at that face.

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

TCM's own Scott McGee produced this wonderful tribute to "Slim" for her SOTM treatment in September, 2012 featuring the voice of actor Kelsey Grammer talking about everyone's favorite sultry actress:

[youtube][/youtube]
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I heard the TCM Remembers theme and ran to the living room. There was Bacall, sultry, smoky, tough. I'll admit I shed tears. We won't see anyone like this tough, sexy, smart woman again. SO sad today.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Very shocked and upset over the death of Robin Williams.

Love him in the quirky but poignant THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP. He really caught the innocence, joy, and sadness of that character. The line "Beware of the undertow" is haunting me now.... :(
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As the broadcast on CBS Sunday Morning News yesterday made clear, most sensed that Robin Williams was walking on a tightrope whenever he performed, but he had been doing it so well and for so long, few of us remembered how vulnerable he might be beneath the dazzling patter and sharper comedic insights. I won't be watching anymore of these reminiscences or his movies for awhile, though Garp, along with The Fisher King and Awakenings, may be bearable to see again someday. Just not now. I really hope that people will cease to be mean-spirited about his death once the hubbub settles down. Here's the loveliest video tribute to the actor-comedian:

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingrat wrote:Bronxie, Garp is a film I've urged the TCM festival to show, my favorite Robin Williams performance.

kingrat, oh how wonderful to hear this! It's my favorite of his too.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I was sad when BACALL passed away and I dearly loved her demure and amazing screen presence too ... She and Humphrey Bogart brought us many great memories together ... She is a well respected actress and one of the greatest performer of the Silver Screen!

A dear friend gave me this photograph of Lauren Bacall five years ago and this is personally signed by Lauren herself and i treasured this photo always. And, I wanted to share this photo with you today and sorry that it's a bit tad late ...

Professional Tourist

Stunning color photo of a young Lauren Bacall, RH. Thank you for sharing. 8)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist wrote:Stunning color photo of a young Lauren Bacall, RH. Thank you for sharing. 8)

Thanks PT ... appreciate your comments here! :)