Lost Renee Adoree, John Gilbert Movies Found!!!!

drednm

Post by drednm »

Well said... and it must be remembered that many of the larger respositories like Eastman House, UCLA, AMPAS, LOC do schedule occasional showings of various silent films. Most of these also will schedule private showings for a fee.

Of course for those of us who do not live near these repositories it becomes an issue of time and money if we want to see these films. Even in artsy-fartsy Santa Fe, we have no silent film festivals or showings (although we have a film festival).

And you're right about catalogs. Eastman House has many separate film collections and each collection is in the midst of being cataloged with a searchable database. Whether these databases will go public is another question (of money and legal issues).

When I went to Eastman House a few years ago it was a tedious exchange of emails trying to find the right person to contact and then badgering him (he was very nice) to search for certain films I wanted to see. But even he had to search in several collections to find film titles, ensure they were complete films and not snippets, ensure the films had been restored, and then make sure the films could be legally shown). Of course he had to do this around his regular work.

Once I got there, watching the films was a snap because they had me set up in a private room with a Steenbeck film editing machine. However, even on premises I was not allowed to search any archives or collections and even with the films LITERALLY in my hands, there was no way to make copies or transfers to VHS or DVD.

It's so frustrating to know that many silent films and early talkies do indeed exist but we'll probably never (as a community of film buffs) see them unless WE go to the FILMS).
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Jim Reid wrote:There's also the fact that the DVD sales market hit the skids a few years ago. Time-Warner had scheduled a bunch of the MGM silents for release the next year. Those were all delayed and we are still waiting to see what will happen with them.

My hope is for a new technology. I know that one of the large computer companies is working with several studios on technology that will allow consumers to download any film in their library for a fee. Without the overhead of disc manufacture, packaging and distribution, there's no reason why any film would not be available. It's going to take a lot of work on compression to get it feesible, but I think that will be the answer.
Sony (who has Columbia's film library) made a deal with HP to do something similar to this where you can get dvd's on demand. You find a movie you want on their site and then they press the dvd and send it out. Last I heard at Home Theater Forum this summer, it's still in development and if they do get it all worked out I would expect to see this in use next year.

Here's an old article about it.

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/01/24 ... nd-service
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
Jim Reid

Post by Jim Reid »

coopsgirl wrote:Sony (who has Columbia's film library) made a deal with HP to do something similar to this where you can get dvd's on demand. You find a movie you want on their site and then they press the dvd and send it out. Last I heard at Home Theater Forum this summer, it's still in development and if they do get it all worked out I would expect to see this in use next year.
That's one them I was talking about. Time-Warner is also working with HP on the same thing.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MissG wrote:
They found The Exquisite Sinner within their own archive? That must mean they really have not gone through everything they own and that other films could still be sitting around, waiting to be discovered and disintigrating. I hope they keep digging!
I wanted to update this info.

Jeffrey has updated his original post. Both he and I exchanged emails about the gist of the story with Richard May, the archivist that was quoted at Nitrateville in Jeffrey's original post as saying "The Exquisite Sinner" had been found.

The bottom line is that there is still no verification available despite it being posted on Silentera.com as a found print.

There is no verification that it was found in the archive of the former MGM/Turner library now the Warner Bros Film Library. In a private email, Mr. May raised a number of questions about the veracity of such a claim.

As Mr. May spent a great deal of life dealing with the elements of the former MGM Film library (from the mid-1960s until its acquistion by Turner in the mid-1980s), the Turner Film Library and then the merge with the Warner Bros Film Library when Turner merged his company with Time Warner in 1998 and until his retirement in 2005, I tend to believe Mr. May.

I wanted to post this as a reminder that just because something is posted on a website (and even notable websites get wrong info from time to time) doesn't always make it true and we need to be aware of it so that we don't pass on misinformation.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Lynn,

:o Yes, but has it been found at all? Just because it was not found in the archive itself, doesn't mean that it wasn't found altogether, and Wrrner's now may have it? I hope that it turs out to be true.

:? I did read the note on Nitrateville intially, but apparently I was mistaken about Richard May making the quote. As I said someone may very well have simply been repeating what they had already read on Silent Era. Com for all I know?

:oops: I tried contacting Silent Era to learn where they had obtained the info to Start with, but unfortunately they have not responded so far? With any luck I will hear from them on Monday. I will certainly let you know as soon as I get word.

:roll: I sincerely apologize for the confusion, but let's just hope the story is accurate. In the meantime, it appears that 12 MILES OUT, and FORBIDDEN HOURS are both still with us. So that is a plus! Since Joan Crawford in the cast, 12 MILES OUT is probably more likely to pop up on TCM quicker than either MAN, WOMAN & SIN or THE COSSACKS will. It might even be on the short list of titles to be scored? Although I hope the top priorty is HER WILD OAT! I wish there were a way to find out?