WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

feaito

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I watched another pleasant musical: the 1941 "Lady Be Good" (1941) filmed in glorious B&W and starring Ann Sothern and Bob Young as team (& couple) of lyricist and songwriter. Although top billed, Eleanor Powell plays second banana to the shenanigans of the Sothern and Young duo, but she gets to perform two dance numbers: "Lady Be Good" -with a dog- and the awesome ensemble top production number of the film: "Fascinating Rhythm"; The Berry Brothers (a trio of hoofers) perform both tunes as well. Miss Powell looks particularly attractive in this film (IMO). Red Skelton plays Young's pal, Lionel Barrymore a judge, Virginia O'Brien is Skelton's straight-faced fiancée and John Carroll is the singer who introduces most of the team's songs and is also Powell's beau. Others in the noteworthy cast are Dan Dailey, Tom Conway (George Sanders' brother), Phil Silvers, Rose Hobart and Reginald Owen. And oh, I forgot, Miss Sothern introduces the beautiful Jerome Kern song "The Last Time I saw Paris", which won an AA for best song that year; didn't it? Very entertaining.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have seen two more musicals:

The 1955 biopic "Deep in My Heart", interesting due to José Ferrer's performance, Romberg's infectious melodies and Helen Traubel's strong voice. Of the many specialty numbers included my favorite is definitely Cyd Charisse's dance with James Mitchell ("One Alone" from "The Desert Song"). Wow! That lady had class, beauty, talent, an incredible pair of legs and sensuality to boost! As for the singing I liked very much Jane Powell's and Vic Damone's rendition of "Will You Remember?" (from Maytime). Rosemary Clooney's duo with Ferrer is also noteworthy. Not a top musical by any means and perhaps too long, but still worthile.

Then I saw "Broadway Melody of 1938" with Eleanor Powell, George Murphy, Bob Taylor, Buddy Ebsen, Sophie Tucker and Judy Garland, all displaying their diverse talents.The blending of horse-racing with the making of a Broadway Musical is bizarre, but nevertheless one has to forget about the plot's implausibilities and enjoy the singing and dancing.

I'm in such a "musical mood" that I played the three main musical numbers from "Ziegfeld Girl" (1941) and enjoyed it very much, especially seeing all those beauties in the "You Stepped Out of a Dream" number....Hedy Lamarr and Anya Taranda looked like creatures out of this world. Unbelievable perfection. Lana and Judy looked pretty too. It was quite incredible to watch Tony Martin in this 1941 film and to realize that in both films "Hit the Deck" and "Deep in My Heart", filmed 13 and 14 years later, his appearance did not change very much. He aged well.

I also saw once again the ballroom and waltz sequence from Minnelli's "Madame Bovary" (1949)...Jennie Jones is absolutely gorgeous in it. Breathtakingly beautiful.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Last night`s movie was the Kern/Hammerstein movie Sweet Adeline (1934). The story is just incidental to the the great singing and dancing.
Adeline,(Irene Dunne) daughter of a beer garden proprietor and Dan (Donald Woods), a poor composer who writes songs for Adeline are in love. Dad objects to Adeline going out with Donald because he brings her home after 9:00pm and is poor.
Dad tries to get Adeline interested in the wealthy major Louis Calhern. Hugh Herbert, a wealthy entrepeneur backs a musical composed by Dan. The star of the show is to be Winifred Shaw, a famous singer, who just happens to be a Spanish spy pursued by Hugh Herbert who in turn is pursued by Adeline`s younger sister (Nydia Westman).
Dan objects to Adeline being feted by the major, so Adeline gives Dan the flick. On the first night of the show the jealous Winifred arranges an accident and Adeline is injured. By the time she has recovered Dan has written a new operetta for her. Meantime The Major has bought a house for Adeline. Adeline assumes that he is going to marry her, But the major tells her he is not going to marry her, he just wants to set her up in the house and have his wicked way. Adeline bolts.
At the rehearsal for the new show Adeline and Donald sing a love duet, following which the are supposed to kiss, but they balk at this because they hate one another. The director orders them to go away and rehearse. And they do.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Secret Of Madame Blanche (1933)

Probably only the first half of the show could be called a musical, with much singing and dancing. I found this a very moving story.
Sally Sanders (Irene Dunne) is the lead singer in an American troupe which travels to London for a season. When the troupe returns to America Sally stays in London as the wife of Leonard St.John (Phillips Holmes), who has never worked and is totally dependant on his father ( Lionel Atwill). On finding out that Sally and Leonard are married he disowns his son.
Leonard and Sally move to Monte Carlo where Leonard plans to make a living at roulette. Leonard loses and returns to London to plead with his father for help. Father agrees, but Leonard must divorce Sally and marry a “suitable” wife. Leonard suicides.
Sally writes to her father-in-law for help, telling him that she is pregnant. He refuses. After the birth of her son father-in- law appears with a court order and seizes the baby. If she tries to see him he will have her gaoled.
Twenty years elapses, it is 1918, Leonard Jnr.is now a soldier in France. He goes AWL and tries to seduce a farmer`s daughter, Eloise(Jean Parker). He takes her to Paris to a night club owned by Madame Blanche. Leonard Jnr. gets drunk, picks a fight and is ko`d.. On finding that he is her son she takes him to her room and nurses him before sending him back to camp. Before he can leave, Eloise`s enraged father (Mitchell Lewis) arrives and attempts to kill Leonard, but is shot dead.
Madame Blanche sends Leonard back to camp and takes the blame for the killing. At her trial mother and son are reunited when it is revealed that she is his mother.

Here is one of the songs from this movie
feaito

Post by feaito »

Fossy, how interesting. I haven't watched those two Irene Dunne features and they sound pretty good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that clip of a rather sassy Irene in "The Secret of Madame Blanche" (she's one of my favorites). She was truly talented and versatile and a lady from tip to toe.

Wasn't "Sweet Adeline" (1934) the source of one of my Jerome Kern favorite ballads "Why Was I born?"... I have some versions on CD, but the one I like the most is a jazzy, sexy version sung by Dinah Washington.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I am looking to increase my collection of Irene Dunne movies and was surprised to see "myoldmanmovies.com" website lists 27 movies of hers. I already have a few but that is a lot to buy, even at only $3.75 per movie (discounted). I noticed that in the 30s Irene was drawn to movies about adultery or problem marriages. This was unusual since she married only one man and stayed with him until he died around 1960. I guess that Hollywood felt she appealed to that genre. Her list of movies over the years is quite impressive.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Hello Feaito,
“Why was I born” is an original song from the Broadway musical Sweet Adeline. I think it has been sung by just about every top female singer and even the odd male singer ( I know that Mario Lanza recorded it). I am not familiar with Dina Washington, but your description of her version sounds good. I often thought that the song could be livelier. Here is Irene`s version from the movie, sung beautifully, and, I believe, sung as Jerome Kern intended.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Uncle Stevie, I too am looking to increase my collection of Irene Dunne movies. Of her forty two movies I have twenty seven. Coincidentally (sob) they are the same twenty seven which myoldman movies has.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the link Fossy. Beautiful rendition of the song.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I saw for the first time "Bathing Beauty" (1944), a forget-about-the-plot-and-performances film which amused me beacuse of its songs, musical numbers, ravishing Esther in the pool and a quite hilarious ballet dancing sequence with Skelton, whom I do'nt usually find very funny, but in this particular film is pretty fun to watch. Lina Romay is a doll! The quality of the print I saw is good indeed. Fine entertainment after a day's work.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Great Gabbo (1929) is different from the usual musicals with their romantic themes and happy endings. Gabbo is pronounced Garbo and my first impression was perhaps the show should have been left out for the garbo.
Gabbo, (Erich von Stroheim ) is a mad, self centred , arrogant ventriloquist who constantly abuses his lovely assistant Mary,(Betty Compson) who is in love with him. Eventually Mary can stand the constant abuse no longer and leaves.
Two years passes and Gabbo is now a star, so eccentric that when he dines out the waiter is required to present the meal first to Gabbo`s dummy for approval.
Gabbo and Mary meet again. Gabbo is the star of the show, and Mary is a singer/dancer, secretly married to Frank (Donald Douglas), who is her singing/dancing partner. The singing is good and the dancing par excellence.
Gabbo invites Mary to rejoin his act, and tells Mary that he loves her and wants to marry her. Mary tells him that she is married to and in love with Frank.
The cast is called for the show finale, But Gabbo, now totally insane says they must wait till he is ready. The finale goes ahead without him. Gabbo disrupts the finale and is fired.
Gabbo leaves, a pathetic figure, dragging his doll behind him.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Showboat (1929) Some of this movie is lost. Of what remains the sound is mostly lost. The movie has been rebuilt from the sections which remain. This movie is mostly silent, but I posted it here as it is still a musical.

The movie starts with a static picture of the showboat, and a selection of songs from the show being sung.

The film begins with Magnolia (Jane La Verne,) daughter of Captain Andy Hawks (Otis Harlan) and his domineering wife Parthy,Emily Fitzroy, who looks more like a witch than the mother of a young girl, enjoying her childhood aboard her father's show boat. Parthy, jealous of Magnolia`s attachment to leading lady Julie (Alma Rubins),(Magnolia's idol and best friend) fires Julie. Many years later, Magnolia ( Laura La Plante) is a young woman and becomes a leading lady. Her leading man is Gaylord Ravenal, (Joseph Schildkraut) a riverboat gambler with whom she falls in love and elopes. During a storm Kim (Jane La Verne) is born, and during the same storm Captain Andy falls overboard and is drowned. Unable to get along with Parthy, Gaylord leaves with his wife and daughter. Eventually he goes broke and leaves when Parthy arrives to say ‘I told you so”. Magnolia becomes a big success on stage and eventually retires. Magnolia receives a letter from Kim, who is honeymooning in France and has decided to extend her honeymoon by 12 months. Now a lonely old lady she returns to the showboat following the death of Parthy and is reunited with Gaylord.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Watched the amusing musical romp "Kismet" (1955) (Vincente Minnelli), which benefits from beautiful Technicolor, the widescreen ratio, 5.1 audio, wonderful songs (including the standards "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" and "Stranger in Paradise"), the beautiful voices of Howard Keel, Vic Damone and Ann Blyth and Dolores Gray's sassy portrayal (& sexy dancing) as the Wazir's wife of wives , besides some ensemble dancing sequences. I saw this film when I was a kid on public TV -a full-screen version, with washed-out colors et al. The print included on the DVD is simply sublime. On the other hand that very fact makes very noticeable the cardboard sets. An entertaining, vibrant '50s musical, although not on the level of Minnelli's best work.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Feaito, when I was in college (many MANY moons ago) the choral group I was in sang the score of Kismet for our "Spring Fling". All the girls wore flowery sari's (handmade by us) and the guys went (GULP) shirtless....quite daring for the day. "Baubles, bangles, bright shiny beads, ting-a-ling-a"
feaito

Post by feaito »

That sounds like quite an experience Nancy. By any chance do you have pictures?