Ruggles of Red Gap 4/20/09

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
moira finnie
Administrator

Ruggles of Red Gap 4/20/09

Post by moira finnie »

A fish out of water comedy features a veddy English butler among the nouveau riche of the American West in Ruggles of Red Gap (1935), which may be one of the most likable movies ever. It is premiering on TCM on Monday, 4/20/09 at 9:15PM ET/6:15PM PT. Charles Laughton gives a deftly restrained and good performance in this movie, and he is often quite funny as well as touching when he recites a certain passage that surprisingly few inhabitants of Red Gap know.

Laughton has a great deal of fine competition for laughs from the splendid cast, especially from Charlie Ruggles (who was probably never better), Mary Boland, Zasu Pitts and Roland Young, who are really delightful as well. When they talk about Leo McCarey as a gifted comic director, this movie is the one they should cite as one of his master works. Hope that you'll enjoy it and even if you don't, share an opinion, won't you?
Zasu Pitts, Charles Laughton, Charlie Ruggles and Maude Eburne mull over things in Ruggles of Red Gap.

A TCM article by Frank Arnold about the film may be seen here. Another interesting piece touching on the significance of the movie, emphasizing the generosity of spirit within such movies, and looking at them in a context of American history is found here on the Bright Lights After Dark blog .
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Re: Ruggles of Red Gap 4/20/09

Post by jdb1 »

Moira, this one is a forgotten gem, and is more than worth a look. As I recall it, the movie plays like an ensemble piece, with each actor given equal "weight." It's really sweet, and funny, and very well done.

Most people cite Laughton reciting the Gettysburg Address as their favorite scene, and Laughton does it really nicely, with a minium of corn. For me, though, the best scene is Roland Young and Leila Hyams shyly flirting as they try to play and sing "Prety Baby" together. It's so darn cute; small-town girl Hyams is good-humored and adorable, and aristocratic Young is so self-conscious, but so eager to impress. In a way, the scene sums up the entire ethos of the movie -- sophistication vs. native charm; making friends in the most unexpected places; finding diamonds in the rough; getting past pride and prejudices, etc.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:Moira, this one is a forgotten gem, and is more than worth a look. As I recall it, the movie plays like an ensemble piece, with each actor given equal "weight." It's really sweet, and funny, and very well done.

Most people cite Laughton reciting the Gettysburg Address as their favorite scene, and Laughton does it really nicely, with a minium of corn. For me, though, the best scene is Roland Young and Leila Hyams shyly flirting as they try to play and sing "Prety Baby" together. It's so darn cute; small-town girl Hyams is good-humored and adorable, and aristocratic Young is so self-conscious, but so eager to impress. In a way, the scene sums up the entire ethos of the movie -- sophistication vs. native charm; making friends in the most unexpected places; finding diamonds in the rough; getting past pride and prejudices, etc.
Beautifully put, Judith. Roland Young's diffidence and Leila Hyams' gentle flirting is enchanting.

I also like the pairing of Laughton and Zasu in this one, giving the movie a fillip of suspense. For much of the movie, he doesn't seem to want to acknowledge what they both know is going on.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What a hoot. I loved it. It may have been Laughton's film but Charlie Ruggles took it away. A great cast works with a great script. Some of the things seem improvised. It they weren't, well so much the better for looking it. Many little gems in different scenes - from the "you first" bit in the French cab to Mary Boland completely missing her eyes with her glasses at the restaurant near the end. There are so many little things that come as quite a surprise.

I have never seen it before and thanks to some grand recommendations from you in this thread it is one I'll enjoy more than once. Great stuff.

I've been on an unintended Laughton kick of sorts having revisited "The Big Clock" earlier this week and becoming a new fan of "Hobson's Choice" a little while ago.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."