Movies and the Lessons Of Life

Ollie

Movies and the Lessons Of Life

Post by Ollie »

I'm grateful that this forum lets me achieve friendships along the way. One of those friends has been seeking recent counseling and, while I'm no expert, I am happy to pass along whatever information I can.

Monster movies, for example.

"Yes, Virginia, I consider it important that, if you live in an urban environment, you learn how to handle giant mutant grasshoppers climbing up and down your building. Here - watch 1957's THE BEGINNING OF THE END, and you'll see what I mean."

And how many of us would know that, if we're in the garden or on some desert outing, we should whip out our tommy-guns around and blast away at the giant radioactive ants' antenna? Well, thanks to Edmund Gwynn, we know!

Now.

I don't know how I'd sleep at night if this precious friend's demise turned out to be a vacation mishap. Perhaps, while strolling around with her family at the North Pole, they look down and notice a flying saucer, buried in ice. I can certainly counsel her, "No no, don't use those thermo-bombs - it'll destroy the spaceship and the alien inhabitant will get very mad." And I don't care how much we might talk about vehicle insurance and deductibles, we all know that AIG and State Farm aren't paying off claims very well these days - that alien probably won't be happy with that kind of talk.

I'd be equally dismayed to discover this friend might suffer on another vacation, perhaps this time, south of the border. There's a choice of trains, and without great movie counseling, how should any passenger know that Willis O'Brien in on the loose and has unleashed hordes of giant scorpions who seem to delight in wrecking trains.

So, when the ticket-agent asks my friend if she wants the standard train or the armor-plated one with tanks and artillery, well, now that choice is easy!

Monster Movies teach us so many valuable lessons. About full moons, the pure of heart, a handy woodsman's guide to certain floras and fauna, too. And if you're stepping into teleporters, check to see there are no little bugs, or even flies. Pesky things.

Yes, I'm sure we'll all sleep better knowing our monster movie education stands ready to help us all.
Ollie

Re: Movies and the Lessons Of Life

Post by Ollie »

Alison sent me THE BRAINEATERS (1958) and I wanted to thank her because, once again, I feel lucky that I've survived this long without yet another great lesson in surviving with aliens. The film's opening dialog sets the tone - an engaged couple is wandering thru heavy-thicket woods in his sports-jacket and her kick-pleat skirt with pumps. Stepping into a meadow, they see this metal spaceship. Her first line, "What is it?" He answers, "I don't know." Then, we cut away and suddenly we're in Wash DC, the land of All Answers To All Things.

I feel soooo lucky!

I do admit this film has a great looking poster. One of the best. And such a catchy title, too - what American drive-in could have possibly resisted this in 1958 and 1959?

Theresa will probably need this one, too, if I can trick her yet again. She might run across this very spaceship in her daily activities - I'd hate to leave her an unwitting victim. But for MissG? Nope, I don't think so. She's been hammering me of late and just because I deserve her abuse, that doesn't mean I'm going to keep her from being subjected to at least some of these alien terrors. So there-!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Received "The BrainEaters." I haven't watched it yet...but I think I may never be the same again, after the viewing. Whew! Gee thanxxx!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dear Ollie:

Just think, if your friend had not learned the lessons taught in the movies you loaned to her, she would never have gone on to Phase II; understanding that one should never take a shower when alone in the house, or walk in the cemetery even in broad daylight where you could meet a strange looking man who suffers from the worst case of acne ever. Those of course led on to Phase III wherein one might run into a fellow wearing a hockey mask at all times, or a guy who can turn your nightmares into reality. Phase IV, finally, but probably not lastly, how do you contend with a man who breaks in his new chainsaw by using it on live people?

Let us not forget the lessons learned from those who revisited and improved such ideas, such as learning that King Kong was more civilized than we thought, but the Martians could still be killed by a common cold. Also Godzilla did a lot more hurt to Japan this time around, but thank goodness those teacups were still there at the center of the earth.

I stopped at the end of science fiction because I found horror not to my liking, but I'm happy to see that TV has latched onto the sci-fi genre this year, hope to see you in Jericho, or Eureka, or Warehouse 13!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

but the Martians could still be killed by a common cold
Or Slim Summerville recordings!

Anne, I don't want to hi-jack Ollie's thread but is Warehouse 13 a fun series? I've been Tivoing it but have yet to watch it.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Lynn. I'm jumping in here, but I don't think Anne will mind tooo much. Warehouse 13 is fun. It's a little silly, but that's actually part of the fun. Seeing all the very old pieces used to make a super computer, the warehouse itself, the things that seem to take on a life of their own, all help to overcome the silly friction between the woman and man recruited to help in the warehouse. The last time that friction, love/hate thing worked was in "Moonlighting", and even that went downhill.....
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:Phase IV, finally, but probably not lastly, how do you contend with a man who breaks in his new chainsaw by using it on live people?

Anne
Just for you, Annie! :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Warehouse 13 is definitely a fun place. It's a warehouse somewhere out in the middle of nowhere kept by a gnome-like little man (can't recall his name, but you would know him when you see him), that houses all sorts of artifacts which in themselves are the reasons for specific occurrences that have happened throughout history. At least that's the meaning I got. The one thing TV writers learned from 'Moonlighters' was to keep the tension going, because as soon as the two subjects are enmeshed in a love thing, all attention goes down hill and the series loses its interest.

Mr. Klondike: thank you for the link, but I cannot link to it - those things cause my computer to get all fuddled up and quit on me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

mrsl wrote:Warehouse 13 is definitely a fun place. It's a warehouse somewhere out in the middle of nowhere kept by a gnome-like little man (can't recall his name, but you would know him when you see him), that houses all sorts of artifacts which in themselves are the reasons for specific occurrences that have happened throughout history. At least that's the meaning I got. The one thing TV writers learned from 'Moonlighters' was to keep the tension going, because as soon as the two subjects are enmeshed in a love thing, all attention goes down hill and the series loses its interest.

Mr. Klondike: thank you for the link, but I cannot link to it - those things cause my computer to get all fuddled up and quit on me.

Anne
The keeper of the warehouse is the excellent Canadian actor Saul Rubinek. I haven't been able to catch a whole episode yet, but I saw a name in the production credits that used to be associated with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV show), which sounds encouraging.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

mrsl wrote:...Just think, if your friend had not learned the lessons taught in the movies you loaned to her...
Yes, 'tis certainly a shame. ha ha... I've tried to flood her with more of these, and I've tried my best to incorporate all the great movie-art because, after seeing all of these dozens of monster posters, it's obvious: scantily-clad poster girls sure draw a lot of monsters-from-outer-space attention.

I mean - aren't the monsters ON Earth bad enough?!! We had a good 2 decades of movie-poster girls, always being attacked or always in the clutches of some alien fiend. And then we have to bring out the armed forces, spend all that gas money and replenish WWII weaponry - just for the sake of an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow-polka-dot bikini? Jeepers...

I believe CineM has spent her summer more thoughtfully costumed, therefore. I've been in LA for this month and the next, not keeping up with East Coast news exactly, but I've been heartened that since she's received some of these monster movies, NYC hasn't been attacked once by an alien monster searching out CM or other bathing beauties. Whew. I've just got too much goin' on to help her this month!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oh, I left my bikini days back on the beaches of Rimini, Italy. And you have been so generous I cannot ask for anything more...until you get back deep in the heart of Texas. Have fun and be safe out west young man.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Rimini, eh? That's the location of some rent-our-sailboat friends, and we've talked about an Adriatic tour one of these years, hoping to encounter more of that Croatian 'squeaky' cheese. CM and her bikini days, though... hubba hubba...

Say, does anyone know where William Hopper crashed his Venus spaceship at? That wasn't near Rimini, was it? And was there a certain bikini-clad New Yorker, driving certain Harryhausen monsters crazy? Boy... I know how he felt... he ends up on top of the Coliseum, probably thinking he's auditioning for a gialli version of a Jimmy Cagney movie, only to get blown to smithereens. "Top o' the world, Mamma mia!" Why does CM, Virginia Mayo and other cute women always do that?