Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by JackFavell »

P.S. Basil looks quite fetching as your avatar, Moira.
Talk about swoon factor! That's probably from his Romeo days.

I do find Errol attractive, I mean, look at that PERFECT FACE and figure!!!! but I would never would want to be with him. I'd definitely give him a wide berth, if you know what I mean.

Of course, that common sense might be different if he were standing right in front of me, turning on the charm. I'd probably drop to the floor in a faint if that ever happened. He's such a schoolboy, you can't help but laugh at him and want to chide him, not too seriously.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

To be him...to be with him.

Well...they say " 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Yeah, let me go for the devastating heartbreak. I'll cry on my friends' shoulders later...with a smile on my tear-stained face. :oops: Pssst! Errol...call me!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

That line, "I can see this thread is for ladies" was supposed to be a riff on that line from My Favorite Year when O'Toole walks into the ladies room by mistake...which in turn was attributed by Flynn. Pretty obtuse, I know.

As a guy, I like the way he smiles at his enemies, and the way he is perfectly willing to put himself in mortal danger for the sake of good manners.

Has anyone seen him in Roots of Heaven? He looks awful, and didn't live very long after making it, but he still has verve.

As a morbid comparison, when I think of Barrymore in Midnight, it's like watching a ghost.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I guess Errol won't be lonely with JackFavell and CineMaven around :lol:
intothenitrate wrote:Has anyone seen him in Roots of Heaven? He looks awful, and didn't live very long after making it, but he still has verve.

As a morbid comparison, when I think of Barrymore in Midnight, it's like watching a ghost.
I was thinking of the odd but captivating The Roots of Heaven when writing about him in that reply too. As the disgraced officer trying to hold himself together in a hopeless but worthy cause, Flynn was so sad and funny, I believed he did care about the elephants he was trying to protect, however imperfectly. The pursuit of an inner dignity and freedom is the real big game hunt here for each of the characters, particularly for Flynn and Trevor Howard's characters.
Above: Flynn chasing after a few shreds of self-respect in The Roots of Heaven (1958).

Has anyone seen Flynn's Barrymore in the film adaptation of Diana Barrymore's Too Much, Too Soon (1958) since it finally became available on DVD? I recall Flynn's characterization of his old friend with melancholy fondness. I really must track this one down before it disappears again for decades at a time.
Above: Errol Flynn as John Barrymore, trying to be a father to Dorothy Malone as Diana in the film.

I like your allusion to Barrymore's appealing portrayal in Midnight near the end of his days; when he was still capable of conveying humor and feeling momentarily. One film I try to see when it is shown, despite the tattiness of the overall movie, is Barrymore's last, Playmates (1941). It's pretty awful to see the actor trapped in this feeble vehicle--like encountering a beloved uncle leaving a whorehouse--except for the moving moment when the actor says "This is Hamlet's soliloquy...It's been a long time..." and then recites "to be or not to be" with considerable grace. The moment is here:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, don't get me started on Barrymore! I adore him, I always have and I always will. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting that clip.

I think Barrymore is also quite good in The Invisible Woman with Virginia Bruce.

For anyone interested in Barrymore, Gene Fowler's book Good Night, Sweet Prince is still the best biography one can read about the man. Though Fowler was a good friend and drinking buddy of Barrymore's (and Flynn's), he is able to capture the man's eccentric grace, flaws and humor very well. Some would say he makes a myth of the man. His flowery prose is a delight to read in this day and age, a type of writing that has completely died out. It's one of the best biographies I've ever read, and solidified my longing to go into the theatre. A very moving book. You can find it far too cheaply on ebay.

I don't want to digress too far from Errol, but did anyone see the recent Christopher Plummer movie about Barrymore? I was dying to see it, but could not find it playing anywhere.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

moirafinnie wrote:I guess Errol won't be lonely with JackFavell and CineMaven around :lol:
I won't speak for her, but as for me....

I did see "Too Much Too Soon" very many years ago though.

I, myself, haven't read the Fowler book on Barrymore. I'm even getting a little bogged down with Woody and all the neverending foooooootball stories. I want him to talk about mooovies.

Much similarities between Barrymore and Flynn I gather. Two of the greats in their own way.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man, skip the football parts and get to the good stuff! :D (Though he looks mighty good in uniform)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I knooooooooooooooooooooow. I may have to skip some pages and get to Woody in Hollywood. < ( sigh! ) >

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Moira, don't get me started on Barrymore! I adore him, I always have and I always will. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting that clip.

I think Barrymore is also quite good in The Invisible Woman with Virginia Bruce.

For anyone interested in Barrymore, Gene Fowler's book Good Night, Sweet Prince is still the best biography one can read about the man. Though Fowler was a good friend and drinking buddy of Barrymore's (and Flynn's), he is able to capture the man's eccentric grace, flaws and humor very well. Some would say he makes a myth of the man. His flowery prose is a delight to read in this day and age, a type of writing that has completely died out. It's one of the best biographies I've ever read, and solidified my longing to go into the theatre. A very moving book. You can find it far too cheaply on ebay.
I am sorry to sidetrack the thread a bit (though it is peripherally about Errol), but I think that Fowler caught part of Barrymore's real charm and the lovable as well as infuriating parts of his personality on paper, but I did like John Kobler's "Damned in Paradise " as a larger portrait of Barrymore's many contradictions. The recent Gregory William Mank book, "Hollywood’s Hellfire Club: The Misadventures of John Barrymore, W.C. Fields, Errol Flynn and the Bundy Drive Boys," published in 2007, owes a big debt to those earlier books, adding some info and a lot of the author's infectious enthusiasm for an earlier, more stylishly decadent Hollywood. I liked certain parts better than others. I have to admit that the rampant alcoholism and sometimes misogynistic behavior chronicled in the book reflected their period but not their talent--though I can imagine these guys saying that being a cranky, misunderstood tosspot in flight from grasping women and pettifogging parasites was part of their talent. Plus, I am always interested in learning more about the artists John Decker and Sadakichi Hartmann who were part of this crowd.
JackFavell wrote:I don't want to digress too far from Errol, but did anyone see the recent Christopher Plummer movie about Barrymore? I was dying to see it, but could not find it playing anywhere.
Alison and I had an exchange about the distribution of this movie recently in one of the Oscar threads.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hey, wait a minute, there's me too, don't you get cosying up to Errol without inviting me along too :wink:

When it comes to Errol he was my first classic Hollywood crush, I was 15 and I read a resume of his life and thought, wow, he's exciting, it was a brief resume and didn't dwell on his troubled spirit just that he hadn't found the right one and with the idealism of a young teen, if only I'd lived at the same time. He will always have the wow factor for me, even though I tend to forget about it until I switch a movie on and see him step into the frame and think, wow all over again. He has the build that I'll go for everytime. As a teen though I focused on his younger roles, the famous ones.

I'd absolutely love to see Roots of Heaven or Too Much Too Soon, I think Flynn knew these characters, although to play Barrymore must have been quite spooky for him. Flynn hated Jack Warner, Jack Warner read the eulogy at Errol's funeral and hired him in his later years. I wonder if we'll ever know what they felt for one another, I'm sure it was far more complex than presented.

The Aviator was appalling, I suppose if you didn't know a thing about Howard Hughes you might find it a little entertaining but they took a massively complex man and turned him into a caricature. What was Errol Flynn doing in a biopic of Howard Hughes's life anyway, I've never heard them mentioned together, Cary Grant I would have understood. Cate Blanchett was good but she wasn't playing Katharine Hepburn.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Goodnight, Sweet Prince, is a magnificent read.

I saw Roots of Heaven several years ago and was very taken by Errol's character. I'd love to get it recorded or does anyone know is it on DVD?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As a celebration of Flynn's birthday on June 20th, TCM has a great lineup of familiar and seldom-seen Errol flicks (all of which are subject to change):

June 20 (all times are ET)
6:30AM
Green Light (1937-Frank Borzage):
A beguiling little movie that could have been completely cloying, but features a restrained performance by Flynn as a hot-shot doctor who learns that life is more than biochemistry after a simple and bravely serene woman (Spring Byington) dies on the operating table. Based on a story by Lloyd Douglas (Magnificent Obsession, The Robe), the journey that Flynn's doctor embarks on is handled with a customary Borzage blend of spirituality and considerable sentiment, but Errol's sincere performance made it work and kept me watching for its 85 minute length. Flynn is allegedly involved with Anita Louise in this movie, but I suspect that his secret self was shared more readily with the beautiful Irish Setter who accompanies him everywhere in this story, as seen below with Miss Louise.

8:00AM
Northern Pursuit (1943-Raoul Walsh):
Errol Flynn goes all Canadian Mountie on us in a jokey bit of rousing wartime propaganda that only Helmut Dantine seems to take seriously (see earlier in this thread for more).

9:45AM
Dawn Patrol (1938-Edmund Goulding):
Purists have often knocked this in comparison with the 1930 original made by Howard Hawks, but as an example of ensemble playing it is impressive and still moving, especially the scene when Flynn tries to advise a raw, eager pilot about to endure his first combat mission.

11:30AM
The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936-Michael Curtiz):
Historically wildly inaccurate at most times, but what can you expect when the title and a weird glorification of military hubris appears to be the only things borrowed from Tennyson's poem. Great as a spectacle, first class entertainment, with uniforms, massacres, horses and a believable bond between on-screen brothers Errol Flynn and Patric Knowles. Every actor with a plummy British accent within fifty miles of Hollywood & Vine appears to have worked in this movie.

1:30PM
Santa Fe Trail (1940-Michael Curtiz):
Romantic rivalries, roiling political turmoil, slavery, free vs. slave state action, Errol and future prexy R. Reagan play Jeb Stuart and George Armstrong Custer, respectively. Olivia de Havilland, Alan Hale, William Lundigan, and Guinn Williams are also along for the ride. A wild-eyed Raymond Massey makes a rousing and convincing John Brown with a messianic glint that should have won him a Supporting Actor Oscar, despite the film's plethora of fallacies about the pre-Civil War era. An interesting mixture of the somber and the foolish, with less than a firm grip on the reality of history. This movie has been in the public domain for some time and the fuzzy prints that abound on the internet for free make me hope that TCM--as it usually does whenever possible--finds a better one by the time of broadcast.

3:30PM The Warriors (1955-Henry Levin) aka The Black Prince | The Dark Avenger:
Completely new to me! The synopsis says that the story revolves around "The 'Black Prince'" of England [who] remains in France to guard the lands taken by his predecessor-father during the 100 Years War. The cast includes Joann Dru, Peter Finch, Christopher Lee, and (one of my faves) Michael Hordern, who played Errol's dad, even though Hordern was two years younger. According to biographers, this was not well received because of the sagging box office for adventure films after a surfeit of them earlier in the '50s, but it was to be Errol's last swashbuckler, and those who have seen this movie have noted sadly the physical decline evident in the leading man. He is said to have had a nice rapport with Joann Dru (her ex-husband Dick Haymes was married to his ex-wife Nora Eddington) and enjoyed getting hammered with Peter Finch, who played his antagonist in the movie. Has anyone seen this one???

5:00PM
Rocky Mountain (1950-William Keighley):
As the last Western that Flynn made, and a film that has an elegiac air, I found this quite moving, when writing about this here.
Flynn met and courted his last wife, Patrice Wymore on the set of this film. Perhaps the above move was not required to get the actress' attention.

6:30PM
Master of Ballantrae (1953-William Keighley):
Errol Flynn and Robert Louis Stevenson seem like a natural pairing, and in Flynn's penultimate swashbuckler he aims to please, but at a hard-livin' 44, even he comments at one point that he was getting on to behave so cavalierly. In this enjoyable if slightly saddening film he is paired splendidly with Roger Livesey, whose sidekick role made a great impression in this movie. Beatrice Campbell (who could have played Deborah Kerr's icier sister) and Yvonne Furneaux were along as sacred and profane love. Anthony Steel appeared as Flynn's malcontent brother and Charles Goldner played a mysterious and lethal opponent. I liked it and if you haven't seen it, you might enjoy it too, even though Errol was reportedly doubled in 60%+ of the action sequences.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

MissGoddess wrote:
I saw Roots of Heaven several years ago and was very taken by Errol's character. I'd love to get it recorded or does anyone know is it on DVD?

It's on Youtube:
[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hooray for TCM for digging out some of the more unusual Errol Flynn movies. I'd love to see Rocky Mountain, I hadn't heard of The Black Prince, I have watched The Master of Ballantyre and thought he was quite good, despite the age he still had moments of sparkle.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Hooray for TCM for digging out some of the more unusual Errol Flynn movies. I'd love to see Rocky Mountain, I hadn't heard of The Black Prince, I have watched The Master of Ballantyre and thought he was quite good, despite the age he still had moments of sparkle.
I just can't wait!