Gone with the Wind 70th Anniversary Edition

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Gone with the Wind 70th Anniversary Edition

Post by MissGoddess »

Thar she blows!

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I've already pre-ordered it on Amazon. I'm such a sucker.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Gone with the Wind 70th Anniversary Edition

Post by movieman1957 »

How many copies does this make for you?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:How many copies does this make for you?

Well, this will make two commercial releases that I have. i also, of course, have the recording
of when they broadcast for my Guest Programmer event. :wink:

I may send the earlier DVD edition to my mother or give it to a friend, I'm not sure.
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I may send the earlier DVD edition to my mother or give it to a friend, I'm not sure.

I'll send you my home address in a pm.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:wink:
-- Will Rogers
markfp

Post by markfp »

April, Do you know if this release any different from the 4-disc version that came out in 2004? I don't usually "double-dip", as they say, and keep buying new editions of DVDs.

Mark
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Wouldn't this be the new 4k resolution/Blu Ray edition?

If so, let me know. I'm going to see the new 4k high def version of Wizard of Oz next month and will be able to judge how that stacks up against other restorations.

As I have seen GWTW on the big screen in various incarnations since 1967, I should be able to give a report.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

markfp wrote:April, Do you know if this release any different from the 4-disc version that came out in 2004? I don't usually "double-dip", as they say, and keep buying new editions of DVDs.

Mark

Hi Mark,

It is supposedly a newly restored version. The last four disc version (which I also have) is
in fact one of the least satisfactory in terms of color accuracy, by many accounts. Hopefully,
this new version will really be a noticeable "improvement" and not just hype.

I for one am not super picky, but I've seen the older version three times in the past few months
on the big screen and can tell it was in bad need of TLC---lots of scratches I didn't even notice
on television.

The only other difference in this package is that the fifth disc contains new-to-DVD extras, and
there are additional materials like pressbooks, etc. I'm getting it more for the restoration and
remastering, than for the extras.

I hope this new print comes to New York in a roadshow screening, I'd love to see what it looks like
in a theater.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lzcutter wrote:Wouldn't this be the new 4k resolution/Blu Ray edition?

If so, let me know. I'm going to see the new 4k high def version of Wizard of Oz next month and will be able to judge how that stacks up against other restorations.

As I have seen GWTW on the big screen in various incarnations since 1967, I should be able to give a report.

I am not sure about "4k resolution" but yes, it's supposed to be restored, remastered and fancy hi-def. The
version many have been waiting for ever since the whole Blu-ray/HD DVD thing began. This movie is one
of those they HAVE to get "right" for this format or we'll know it.
-- Will Rogers
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

dvdtown.com describes the GWTW Blu-Ray bonus disc as including:

1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year--the recent TCM documentary narrated by Kennedth Branagh

Gone With the Wind: The Legend Lives On--an exploration of the legacy of GWTW through interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, event and museums.

Moviola: the Scarlet O'Hara Wars--a 1980 WBTV Special, which has never been released on home video
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

markfp wrote:April, Do you know if this release any different from the 4-disc version that came out in 2004? I don't usually "double-dip", as they say, and keep buying new editions of DVDs.

Mark
This looks to be the year of the DVD re-release (and not all of them are Blu-Ray-exclusive, either). I can't remember a year when there've ever been so many, even during the VHS era. Criterion's even had quite a few.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MichiganJ wrote:dvdtown.com describes the GWTW Blu-Ray bonus disc as including:Moviola: the Scarlet O'Hara Wars--a 1980 WBTV Special, which has never been released on home video
I saw this TV Movie, 25 or 26 years ago on public TV and I enjoyed it very much. I recall that Sharon Gless played Carole Lombard and I remember that the actress who impersonated Tallulah was a hoot! A great extra!

I also own the book Moviola, written by Garson Kanin -The TV movie was based on one of its chapters. An excellent read!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

MichiganJ wrote:dvdtown.com describes the GWTW Blu-Ray bonus disc as including:

1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year--the recent TCM documentary narrated by Kennedth Branagh

Gone With the Wind: The Legend Lives On--an exploration of the legacy of GWTW through interviews, footage and visits to historical sites, event and museums.

Moviola: the Scarlet O'Hara Wars--a 1980 WBTV Special, which has never been released on home video
I too have the 4-disk set and considered myself done buying Gone with the Wind. But I'm a sucker for extras and if this has a fifth disk, I can see myself buying all over again. Are these new extras only on Blu-Ray? I'm still living in "2008" and haven't gone Blu-Ray yet...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm still living in "2008" and haven't gone Blu-Ray yet...
Moraldo,

Dude, i tell you this as someone who loves you. Save your pennies for a High Def flat screen tv (Mr Cutter will be glad to give you pointers on what to buy) as well as a Blu-Ray player (deals are out there, Mr C found them and so can you, they usually involve good price and free shipping).

I got him the Blu of How the West Was Won before we had either the HD TV or the Blu-Ray DVD to play it on. Once we had both of those, he sat down to watch the film (he loves it, by the way), we were both so blown away by the picture quality that we have never regretted upgrading.

We got some of the Connery Bond films for Christmas and were blown away by the quality and the bonus features.

We're off to see the HD version of Wizard of Oz in a few weeks so I'll keep you posted but I suspect we will be very happy with the picture quality.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Moraldo,

The regular DVD of the GWTW Ultimate Collector's Edition will include the fifth disc. Exclusive to the Blu-ray Ultimate Collector's is MGM: When the Lion Roars (which is available by itself on DVD)

I, too, have the 4-Disc GWTW DVD set, and, even though I'm not as big of fan of the film as others, the Blu-ray Ultimate Edition is on order.

While the High Def picture on Blu-ray (or HD, for we idiots who backed the wrong horse) is substantially better than regular DVD, it's really the sound that is the biggest improvement. Regular DVD could never replicate the audio that laserdisc could, but HD and Blu-ray have neared, and sometimes even surpassed laserdisc audio. Even on mono films, (like The Adventures of Robin Hood, which is breathtaking on HD), there is more discernible separation in Korngold's fabulous score, let alone the clanks of Robin's sword.
GWTW should look and sound amazing.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS