Ida Lupino

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ida Lupino Films

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote: Lupino proves herself a competent director in THE BIGAMIST, which makes good use of Los Angeles settings. Too bad that the script of THE BIGAMIST is so retro. Consider: Joan Fontaine's character can't have a child; her husband is a bigamist; her father has a long illness and dies; her mother is ill; yet SHE's supposed to be the unsympathetic character because she devotes time and effort to making her husband's deep freeze business more successful. Fortune cookie philosophy: "Woman who run deep freeze business have deep freeze in bedroom." Lupino gets a better performance from Fontaine than Fritz Lang did in BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT a few years later. Notice how Fontaine has a natural speaking voice in THE BIGAMIST, not the stage diction that makes her seem so matronly and stuffy in the Lang film.

Oddly, Lupino looks less attractive in THE BIGAMIST than in films directed by others. The script calls her character a "little brown mouse," and that's how she's dressed until she puts on "something slinky" for her big date. Her short hairstyle is not becoming; the other films give her longer hair, which sets off her face better.
Isn't it strange, how differently people can see the same movie? Though I didn't warm up to The Bigamist until I watched it a second time, I honestly don't see Joan Fontaine as unsympathetic or O'Brien as holding all the cards or Lupino as frumpy. In some ways this film is a rather bold--for its time--critique of social class distinctions, harking back to the pre-code era in its attempted realism.

One of the quirky strengths of this film may be the fact that no one is overly heroic or villainous. The ending is open-ended, which may reflect the script's deliberate lack of polish, but is also much more realistic in a way, (though I know that many find that denouement very dissatisfying). I think that one of the interesting things about the script is that each character in a sense is trapped by society's expectations. Their transgressions against that norm of behavior are almost unconscious acts of rebellion with Edmond O'Brien marrying two women and loving both, Joan Fontaine "failing" to have a baby and then compounding her sin against nature by becoming more adept at sales than her hubby, and Ida, who appears to have a hard shell with that bad haircut, the wisecracks and blue collar job and all, is actually the most vulnerable, full of longing and loneliness that has become a habit for her for so long, she just assumes that O'Brien will not be likely to help her when she commits the ultimate misstep by becoming pregnant outside of marriage.
kingrat wrote:THE HARD WAY is just as backward as THE BIGAMIST. Granted, the point is that Lupino's character ruthlessly guides her sister's show biz career, but did the script really have to expound on the glories of marriage and ten (!) children? The paradox is that performers like Ida Lupino and Joan Leslie work hard to improve their craft until they finally star in a film that, at least officially, denounces the importance of acting, singing, and dancing. If you can overlook that, THE HARD WAY looks like one of Vincent Sherman's better films.
Again, I have to differ, though because of the Production Code this film tips its hat at convention but has a strong undercurrent of subversive criticism of societal expectations for men and women. I think that it attempts to show what happens to a woman in American society when she attempts to give both her sister's and her lives some direction. This transforms her into a ruthless but instinctively canny person.

MILD SPOILERS MILD SPOILERS MILD SPOILERS MILD SPOILERS MILD SPOILERS
Dennis Morgan, who sees through the naked ambition in Ida's character, but fails to perceive the reality of the need behind it, is presented as an alternative path to fulfillment, but he is then unmasked as as an avenging angel of sorts for the social norms--enticing Lupino into letting her guard down and then rejecting her. Even though it costs Lupino what most people might term her soul and others might perceive as her femininity, by adopting the prevalent philosophy that underlies our society most of the time: "look out for yourself and to hell with others." Because Ida sees little choice in life, she uses her sexual allure, her wiles, and her inner steeliness to escape from one dead end trap, only to find herself (and her poor sister, Joan Leslie) in another, better dressed trap of success.

Was the life he pretended to offer ever a real possibility for Ida? I don't think so. Lupino's character is behind the eight ball from the start of this film. Still relatively young yet trapped in a marriage to an unimaginative, hard working if self-pitying blue collar worker (Roman Bohnen, who played such roles with enormous understanding and truth).
I believe that the film has sympathy for almost all--except Morgan--who is the only cardboard character of the bunch. (Actually, I've always had a weakness for Dennis Morgan, but, except for his work under John Huston's direction in In This Our Life, I can't honestly say that I believe he's a very good actor, frankly).

Some may feel like hissing over Lupino's stratagems, but she is no better off by the end of the film nor is Joan Leslie, (who probably won't last too long without Ida's push, though maybe Morgan will once again pick up his romance with the kid.) Even Roman Bohnen, and the falling star whose vulnerability is exploited by Ida, (so brilliantly captured by Gladys George), and especially not poor Jack Carson (who was exceptionally fine as the lovesick vaudevillian) all suffer because our society tends to treat human beings as a disposable commodity, cast aside when their usefulness is over. On the surface the film appears to be one of the most acidic portraits of a certain type of show biz mentality ever caught on film, but I tend to think it is not backward in regard to female roles, but an entertaining portrait of an entire society too.

But heck, that's just one interpretation of mine. I do find Ida's character pretty horrible, but I recognize something very human and very American in her too.

Btw, did you know that the original script by Irwin Shaw was reportedly written after Jerry Wald supposedly told Shaw about a performer he'd discovered recovering from a suicide attempt in a New York hospital while Wald was a reporter for the tabloid, the New York Graphic? Though the script had Daniel Fuchs and others embellishing it along the way, it was based on the story of that suicidal performer, Jack Pepper and Ginger Rogers.

Pepper, (whose real name was Edward Culpepper), was part of a vaudeville team called "Pepper and Salt", with his partner, Frank Salt, were performing in Dallas, Texas in the late '20s. Asked to judge a Charleston contest, he saw Ginger, voted for her, met her, and they fell in love and were married and began to appear on stage together as "Ginger and Pepper". Her career took off after their divorce when her aggressively protective mother, Lela Rogers began managing her career, while Pepper's nosedived, though he tried to make a go of it again.

Shaw changed the mother and daughter to sisters, but much of the rest has some basis in reality, including the character played by Jack Carson, who is clearly based on Jack Pepper. Producer Jerry Wald is said to have offered the Ida Lupino role to Ginger Rogers who refused it, but said "This could be the story of my life."

Rogers spoke well of her first husband later, and other performers, including Bing Crosby, remembered that Jack Pepper was a good singer, but as his hair thinned, his girth increased and vaudeville died, he and his erstwhile partner split up for good after a reunion, and whenever Crosby ran across Pepper around the club circuit or in vaudeville houses where he was "stooging" for players like Jay C. Flippen and Ben Blue, he'd ask how is it going. Pepper would invariably say "Have fun now, get the bread later" or, when feeling especially ebullient, he'd say, "Lots of laughs, lots of bread in the house." His friends tried to help him several times, but he endured after the suicide attempt, working in a small Dallas club he owned and appearing in films in small parts from 1929 until 1965 when he played an uncredited banjo player in Cat Ballou (1965). You can read more about his work here and below is Pepper, singing, in his blues-tinged way, the ironic "The Girl Of My Dreams" in 1928.

[youtube][/youtube]

(Most of the sources for this info about Jack Pepper are drawn from Studio Affairs by Vincent Sherman, Ginger, My Story by Ginger Rogers, Ginger Rogers: a bio-bibliography by Jocelyn Faris, Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams by Gary Giddins, and Vaudeville, Old & New: An Encyclopedia of Variety Performers in America)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think my favorite Ida performance is in ROAD HOUSE. She really breaks me up with her wise cracks, and
at the same time she's rather touching because all the while she acts a little down on herself, as though she
knows she's no prize but she's not going to let anyone else say so first, or as if she's always thinking, "What the hey? Gimme another cigarette."

I love how she's all dressed up for her "picnic" with Cornel Wilde, only to see Celeste Holm is with him and they're both dressed casually. Ha!! But she handles it great and, like Ginger and Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island, manages to make a bikini out of a couple of strategically placed scarves. :lol:

Not to mention her interesting vocal deliveries.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote: Not to mention her interesting vocal deliveries.
So incredibly interesting that when I watched the film for the first time, I thought that she had been dubbed by a professional songstress. She delivers in an "Anita O'Day way". Anita is one of my favorite Jazz singers by the way.

"Road House" is indeed one the best Lupino films I have seen. "On Dangerous Ground" is another excellent film of hers. And of her early roles "The Gay Desperado" should not to be missed!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved your comments, kingrat. I haven't seen Devotion in many years, but have it on my dvr now. My main memory of it consists of Arthur Kennedy's bravado as Branwell Bronte and Ida as Emily. I know it's not really accurate literate history, but the actors and the Korngold score make this one memorable for me.
Reading about the Bronte's childhood, it always sounded incredibly barren but enriched by the incredible imaginations of each of the children, especially Emily and Charlotte, who created a world of their own, writing adventures in tiny script in small books they created to entertain one another. I believe that the director Curtis Bernhardt dismissed this film as poppycock, but I thought it captured the isolated, imaginary aspect of the life of these youngsters rather well. The one person who didn't seem well cast was Olivia de Havilland, who seemed to earthbound for her role, but that's probably just me.

Have you seen Deep Valley?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

To me, Ida is a cross between Bette Davis and Kate Hepburn because of her mannerisms and way of speaking. She was a very fine actress and I never understood why she turned to directing until I saw Lee Grant years and years ago on the Mike Douglas show. I must have been sick or something, because I don't believe I ever saw more than two or three of his shows. Anyway Lee was just starting to dangle her toes in directing and in the course of their conversation, she mentioned that all women directors owe their opportunities to Ida. There was a woman director back in the days of the silents, but after her, no other women came along until Ida. As always in this man's world, she was given all the scripts that none of the men wanted because they were either too weak, or had no bite to them. But Ida took them gratefully, as a way to practice her chosen craft. She never really wanted to be an actress, she really wanted to direct, according to Ms. Grant. I have no way of knowing what the truth is, but I recall the interview clearly because Lee Grant always reminded me of Ida and her mannerisms, way of speaking, etc. Sound familiar?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

mrsl wrote:
There was a woman director back in the days of the silents, but after her, no other women came along until Ida.
There are three pre-Lupino women directors who have received renewed interest, most likely as a result of increasing interest in early film, availability of their work (still sadly underrepresented), and feminist studies.

Alice Guy-Blache is considered the first female director, starting in France and then building her own studio in Fort Lee, NJ, ending her directing career in Hollywood. Lois Weber (probably who Lee Grant was referring to) directed 130+ movies, only one of which (I think) was a talkie. Dorothy Arzner directed three silents and 14 sound movies and is arguably the pre-Lupino woman director that now garners the most attention.

An entry at IMDb states that Lupino would joke that as a actress she was the poor-man's Bette Davis and as a director she was the poor-man's Don Siegel. If she did feel that way, for THE HITCHHIKER alone she was selling herself short.

MissG wrote:
I love how she's all dressed up for her "picnic" with Cornel Wilde, only to see Celeste Holm is with him and they're both dressed casually. Ha!! But she handles it great and, like Ginger and Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island, manages to make a bikini out of a couple of strategically placed scarves.
Makes one wonder if that had any impact on the Gilligan's Island episodes that Lupino directed.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

We've just received the Warner Archives of THE MAN I LOVE. Haven't watched it yet, but the more I've discovered about Ida, the more I've admired her.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ida Lupino

Post by moira finnie »

June is more than teen idols and huddled masses on TCM--since Ida Lupino is popping up several times on the schedule. You can see the times and dates of the films with Ida Lupino posted below.

In addition to this, Woman in Hiding (1950) (being aired on TCM on the 29th of June), is coming to DVD as part of the four disc set labeled Women in Danger: The 1950s [other films in this set are Female on the Beach (1955) with Joan Crawford and Jeff Chandler, The Ungaurded Moment (1956) with Esther Williams, and The Price of Fear (1956) with Merle Oberon]

Life Begins at 8:30 (1942) with Monty Woolley and Ida Lupino as a former great actor and his introverted daughter in a theatrical setting is being issued through the newly established MOD program, The Fox Cinema Archives, beginning in June. Most titles in this series are expected to go for $19.95. Btw, posters who have not seen this movie are categorizing it as a comedy. Having seen it several times as a kid and liked it, I can tell you that it certainly has light-hearted moments, but the movie is more of a domestic drama under actor turned director Irving Pichel, giving Monty Woolley one of his best roles and Ida an opportunity to display her quicksilver way of expressing bitterness and vulnerability in her role as his daughter.

Later this summer we can all see Don Siegel's Private Hell 36 (1954) with Ida appearing with Steve Cochran and Howard Duff in a slightly rancid cops-gone-bad film noir. This movie is being brought out on regular DVD and Blu-Ray by Olive Films on 8/21/12. Currently Private Hell 36 can also be seen streaming online at Netflix as well. Cochran goes from everyday cop to damn fool and Duff from a caring family man to a desperate thief in the course of this movie, which Siegel dismissed in his autobiography since he found the cast pretty much uncontrollable and the story incomprehensible (just between you and me, he had a point). I won't say that anyone is at their best in this movie, but for those of us who like the way that Lupino croaks out a song, it's a must-see, [check out Road House (1948) and The Man I Love (1946) for other instances of her style as a chanteuse of sorts--which is unique, even when she is being dubbed by someone else. As Celeste Holm's character comments in Road House, "She does more without a voice than anybody I've ever heard...If you like the sound of gravel..."] Note: You can see Bridget Duff, Ida's only child with her then-husband Howard Duff in this movie. The baby plays the toddler daughter of Duff and Dorothy Malone in the film.

The following films are scheduled for Thursday, June 21st and Friday, June 29th on TCM (all times shown are ET):
Thursday June 21, 2012

6:00 AM
THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS (1943)
An Eddie Cantor look-alike organizes an all-star show to help the war effort.
Dir: David Butler Cast: Humphrey Bogart , Eddie Cantor , Bette Davis.
BW-127 mins, TV-G, CC,

8:15 AM
PILLOW TO POST (1945)
A girl pretends to be a war bride to get a hotel room in Washington.
Dir: Vincent Sherman Cast: Ida Lupino , Sydney Greenstreet , William Prince.
BW-92 mins, TV-G, CC,

10:00 AM
THE MAN I LOVE (1947)
A night-club singer gets involved with a mobster.
Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Ida Lupino , Robert Alda , Andrea King.
BW-90 mins, TV-G, CC,

11:45 AM
DEEP VALLEY (1947)
A farmer’s daughter helps an escaped convict.
Dir: Jean Negulesco Cast: Ida Lupino , Dane Clark , Wayne Morris.
BW-106 mins, TV-PG, CC,

1:30 PM
ESCAPE ME NEVER (1947)
A composer forsakes his innocent bride to romance his brother’s fiancee.
Dir: Peter Godfrey Cast: Errol Flynn , Ida Lupino , Eleanor Parker.
BW-104 mins, TV-G, CC,

3:15 PM
ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1951)
A tough cop sent to help in a mountain manhunt falls for the quarry’s blind sister.
Dir: Nicholas Ray Cast: Ida Lupino , Robert Ryan , Ward Bond.
BW-82 mins, TV-PG, CC,

4:45 PM
The BIGAMIST (1953)
A woman discovers her husband has another family in another city.
Dir: Ida Lupino Cast: Joan Fontaine , Ida Lupino , Edmund Gwenn.
BW-79 mins, TV-PG,

6:15 PM
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956)
Reporters compete to catch a serial killer.
Dir: Fritz Lang Cast: Dana Andrews , Rhonda Fleming , George Sanders.
BW-100 mins, TV-PG, CC,

Friday June 29, 2012

7:45 AM
HIGH SIERRA (1941)
An aging ex-con sets out to pull one more big heist.
Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Ida Lupino , Humphrey Bogart , Alan Curtis.
BW-100 mins, TV-G, CC,

8:00 PM
WOMAN IN HIDING (1950)
Dir: Michael Gordon Cast: Ida Lupino , Stephen McNally , Howard Duff.
BW-92 mins,
It is especially great to see The Man I Love (1947-Raoul Walsh) on the schedule again. This movie has been described as a "film noir musical," a postwar splash of cold water on the face of film noir with a tart feminist twist. Coming home to see how her family is faring, wandering chanteuse Lupino plays "Petey" a glamorous, pragmatic and secretly tender-hearted Miss Fix-It who knows that everything changes, even if we want to hang on to the past for just a moment longer. There is dirty linen to be aired and dishes in the sink that need scrubbing and Ida is all over it. Sure, the movie is partly a domestic drama, but it has a bracing dose of real life occasionally, as Ida tries to help her troubled family (Andrea King plays her sister) around Christmas while also holding down a job at Robert Alda's crummy nightclub. She has a romance on the side with a piano-playing tumbleweed played by Bruce Bennett. WIth all this and no man of her own, does Ida sing too? Yeah, but it's actually Peg LaCentra, who sounds just like the actress. On-screen it is Ida who puts across Gershwin's title tune, while evergreen numbers like Kern's Why Was I Born?, Bill, and Body and Soul all pop up on that evocative sound track. I'm not really saying that this is a great movie, but it is one of Raoul Walsh's better later flicks. Any time Ida gets a chance to be a strong and tender, wounded warrior who takes no guff and no pity on screen is worth my time. She also gets to look great too in some Milo Anderson duds that shine in this movie.

The Man I Love is on DVD via the Warner Archive. Here's the trailer:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira,

I am definitely going to be there for The Man I Love, the combination of Walsh and Lupino are irresistable to me. I can't wait to see what this one is like, the two of them together seem a good fit.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Moira, thank you for the reminder that TCM viewers can be lupino'ed this Thursday. I see a couple of films I want to see again, and one film that I really want to give a chance ( "Deep Valley" ) even if I have to go through Dane (Garfield-Lite) to do it. How can a dame be sooooooo hard-boiled one film...and then break your heart in another.

Ida...Ida Idolize ya!!

One last thing Moira....your avatar of Ella Raines has absolutely bowled me over! What a fantastic shot of one of my favorite actresses. WoW!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com