Greer Garson

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Greer Garson

Post by JackFavell »

I posted a youtube link for DDesire Me above somewhere, though it's not the optimum way to watch this romantic, foggy, windswept noir. I always stayed away from it till last year, and I'm so glad I saw it! It's much better than it's reputation. Oddly enough Mitchum and Garson make a totally believable couple.

I was almost shocked at how raucous she was in that number from Julia Misbehaves!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote: I was almost shocked at how raucous she was in that number from Julia Misbehaves!
I know what you are thinking about ... I was surprised of that too and I haven't seen this movie for more than a decade.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've always been a Greer Garson fan and never understood the seeming lack of interest in her when I posted various things about her. Also I noticed the lack of her name being on any of the favorite actress lists that have come and gone both here and on the TCM boards. I think now it's just because for some reason people were never introduced to her properly. It seems in this thread, several people have said in different ways, I've never seen many GG movies but now I'm going to look them up and/or order them. I've been a fan since I was a very young girl (many many years ago), and am happy now to see all the interest in her suddenly becoming apparent.

Kingme: I think once you see Mrs. Parkington, it will become one of your favorites, especially in watching her age both physically with makeup and in her thought processes. I hope you enjoy!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

mrsl wrote:.
Kingme: I think once you see Mrs. Parkington, it will become one of your favorites, especially in watching her age both physically with makeup and in her thought processes. I hope you enjoy!!!
I have the ability to watch You Tube Videos on my television set by a special hookup through my PC ... I will watch this weekend when I get a chance ... Thanks for the heads up Anne. I read some things about it and I'm intrigued by it. :)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I remembered the link! It's on my queue, Jackie!

Kingme, I know you'll like Mrs. Parkington!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I must have been in a strange frame of mind when I tried to watch Mrs. Parkington...I did not like it AT ALL. Couldn't connect to her, I felt like she was Acting in all the younger days scenes, and found him to be a vain, bellowing, thoroughly unlikeable fellow... The only enjoyable one was Agnes Moorehead, and she was lovely, if that accent was a bit strange....

Guess I'll have to go sit in the corner for a while.... :( :roll: :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

While I like Mrs. Parkington in general, it is a bit hard to accept the forty-year-old Garson as an 18 year old bride. I like Walter Pidgeon, and think he's good as the Major, which character I can't manage to dislike despite his being a 'scoundrel'. :) And of course I like AM but agree that her accent doesn't really sound french. [She got better at french accent later in her career.]

Knitwit45, perhaps if you re-watch it in a few months, after a good dinner, you might have a better experience. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I will! thanks, PT!!! :)
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I remembered the link! It's on my queue, Jackie!

Kingme, I know you'll like Mrs. Parkington!
I'm planning on watching it on Sunday on my TV set via You Tube ... and share my thoughts as well.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

the lack of her name being on any of the favorite actress lists that have come and gone both here and on the TCM boards. I think now it's just because for some reason people were never introduced to her properly.

Her name is always on my list. I think you're on the right track. She didn't make a lot of movies that are still talked about. Some I haven't even seen. There's MINIVER of course. MR. CHIPS. We don't hear a lot about BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, WHEN LADIES MEET or REMEMBER (Actually, I don't!) Hepburn, Bergman, Davis and Crawford are names that pass the lips of classic fans with some frequency. Garson, not so often. Too bad. When we, myself included, overlook this talent, we do ourselves a disservice.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Knitwit:

Greer's brogue, bright smile, and twinkling eyes made it easy for me to accept her as a "young thing", although I agree I would have the same problem with most other actresses of the day that you did, but I guess I'm a little blinded on Greer, but your description of the Major is totally on the point, in fact you could have added swaggering. Caring little how her accent sounded, as for me Aggie could do no wrong from her early days to Endora.

Since I also taped Valley of Decision, I sat and watched it too, for the umpteenth time. I couldn't possibly guess how many times I've seen it, but with a cast with Donald Crisp, Gregory Peck, Lionel Barrymore, and especially the lovely Marsha Hunt, I doubt if too many times will ever happen.

Another actor whom I like a lot but I think is terribly under-appreciated is Dan Duryea. That guy could play anything - usually sly, slightly not nice but at times he could be a nice guy, rare, but now and then, usually starting out as a criminal but ending up helping the good guy in many westerns.

One other thing. We had a discussion about Robert Young and his role as Mosinney in That Forsyte Woman, and after seeing Valley of Decision, I thought how Gregory Peck would have fit the part quite well. He's more handsome than Young, and he has such charisma, making him more attractive to the ladies, which he would have to be as an architect - always please the woman when building something.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This simply reinforces my disconnection with this wonderful actress. I didn't recognize VALLEY OF DECISION by the title. Only at the mention of the other cast members did I realize I have seen, and liked, the movie! When's the last time you heard somebody talk about this one at a dinner party?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love the idea of Gregory Peck as Bossinney! I wish I'd thought of it. There should be something dashing and maybe even a little doomed about him, but still someone who inspires hope in us for Irene. I've actually never seen a Bossinney that was fully satisfactory.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote: One source indicated that at the time, MGM considered DESIRE ME the worst film it had ever released. All the problems with the making of it probably contributed to that feeling. It looks pretty good now, as Robert Osborne said in his outro. Definitely an addition to my list of romantic films of the 1940s, and yet another interesting film from 1947.
I find this information here that you shared with us about DESIRE ME in regards of MGM ... very interesting indeed. I would put this movie in my top 10 romantic (and one of the better ones) films of all times.