Horror films that Hammer really nailed!

cinemalover

Horror films that Hammer really nailed!

Post by cinemalover »

Hammer studios started producing horror films in the mid-fifties and continued turning out horror product until the seventies. Some were adaptations of teleplays such as the Quartermass movies (horror/sci-fi), but they were best known for updating the Universal stable of horror, Frankenstein, Dracula and a werewolf and mummy or two. Everyone has a favorite Hammer horror and I'd like to know yours. I always enjoy Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in whatever roles they play. For a favorite I'm going to go with the first in the cycle, The Curse of Frankenstein 1957. Not only do you get Cushing as Baron Von Frankenstein and Lee as the Creature, but this movie is significant in that if it wasn't a big success all the sequels and other characters may never have been produced. This is also an important movie because it was one of the first horror films to show blood and gore in graphic color (you may not feel that that was a good thing!) This is not their best horror film, but it is a very important one.

Which ones do you like?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

I don't know that it's my all time-fave out of all their movies, but one that I think ranks right near the top and which usually gets short shrift in discussions like this is THE GORGON (1964) with both Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee. It's moody & atmospheric with a hard-edged ending. Not only that, but the "historical" details, the Gorgon's backstory as it were, are interesting and realistically done. Worth a look if you've never seen it.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

There were a bunch that really shocked me when I first saw them, most notably THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (57) and THE HORROR OF DRACULA (58). Seeing them as a kid in a movie theater was delightfully traumatic and fairly unforgettable. Others that I really enjoyed were CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (61) with Oliver Reed, the previously mentioned GORGON (64), PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (66) which I recall being extremely gruesome, HANDS OF THE RIPPER (71) a disturbing Jack the Ripper variant and DRACULA AD 1972 (72) an eerie, modern updating of the legend. Much as I enjoyed them upon first viewing, I haven't ever revisited them. Perhaps the time has come...
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I really like Hammer horror, and am a big Peter Cushing fan.

My favorite Hammer horror films are: "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed," "Horror of Dracula," "Curse of Frankenstein," "The Vampire Lovers," "Curse of the Werewolf" and "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde."

Also very enjoyable are "Dracula, Prince of Darkness," "Demons of the Mind," "The Mummy," "The Gorgon," "Twins of Evil," "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell" and "The Devil Rides Out."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, that's a couple mentions of The Gorgon. I don't think I've seen it since childhood, so maybe I should be tracking it down for a re-visit. Thanks for the recommendations.
Chris

dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

Personally I think Hammer reached their peak in the 70s, when they started to move away from the endless retreads of Dracula and Frankenstein. They made some off-beat and extremely interesting movies in the 70s - Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde, which is actually a clever and original variation on a hackneyed theme; The Vampire Lovers, which remains the best film version of Sheridan le Fanu's classic vampire novella Carmilla; Hands of the Ripper, a terrific little movie; and their last horror flick, To the Devil, a Daughter, which is very underrated.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

dfordoom,
Welcome aboard! I actually have To the Devil, A Daughter sitting on my DVD shelf, just waiting for the mood to strike me. Your little reminder may move it up on the priority list.

I hope you enjoy this site, lots of good people here, and no baggage!
Chris

dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

cinemalover wrote:dfordoom,
Welcome aboard! I actually have To the Devil, A Daughter sitting on my DVD shelf, just waiting for the mood to strike me. Your little reminder may move it up on the priority list.
I have to admit, thoigh, that their earlier (1968) adaptation of another Dennis Wheatley occult pot-boiler, The Devil Rides Out, is better. It's a great film. Directed by Terence Fisher - not a fancy director, but a very effective one. And featuring Christopher Lee as one of the good guys!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Getting away from Dracula and Frankenstein, a Hammer film that gave me the willys was "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" (1959) with Anton Diffring.
Also "The Mummy" with Christopher Lee. The way that bandaged fiend walked around was uncanny.

I saw the midnight premier of Hammers "The Curse of Frankenstein" at the Paramount Theatre in New York. The regular feature was "Band of Angels" with Clark Gable.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

cinemalover wrote:dfordoom,

I hope you enjoy this site, lots of good people here, and no baggage!
Mmmmmm, naked Natasha Kinski.

And another welcome to Mr. Doom. Glad to have you here.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

jondaris wrote:Mmmmmm, naked Natasha Kinski.
Not that anyone would watch it for that reason alone. They cast her for her acting, of course.
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

One good thing about THE MUMMY is that, as played by Lee, he could move and move fast, thus making the peril of the potential victims that much more real.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I had an opportunity to watch the first Frankenstein film that Hammer put out and that started the cycle. It wasn't quite as good as I remembered but it's definitely interesting for a slightly different take on the Baron...

Date watched:6/16/2007
Title: The Curse of Frankenstein Made: 1957
Genre: Horror Studio: Hammer Films/ WB Video
Format: DVD Extras: Part of a double feature on one flipper disc. The Other feature is Taste the Blood of Dracula. Each film is enhanced WS and comes with a trailer.
# of times viewed: 3

Peter Cushing--Baron Victor Frankenstein
Christopher Lee--The Creature
Hazel Court--Elizabeth
Robert Urquhart--Paul Krempe
Melvyn Hayes--Young Victor
Valerie Gaunt--Justine (maid)
Paul Hardtmuth--Professor Bernstein
Noel Hood--Aunt
Fred Johnson--Grandpa

This is the first Hammer Frankenstein film, followed by six sequels.

Plot: We get to see the development of the warped mind of Victor Frankenstein as he inherits his father's wealthy estate at a very young age. He hires himself a tutor to push his inquisitive mind. He selects Paul Krempe (Urquhart). The relationship flourishes as Victor ages to adulthood with his teacher and companion Paul. Victor becomes obsessed with the creation of life.

This Frankenstein is perfectly content finding his own bodies. He doesn't need the services of a Burke or Hare, he doesn't even have an Igor to run errands. As he comes closer to the reality of animating dead bodies his obsession becomes dangerous. When his cousin Elizabeth comes to stay with him we learn that the two have been promised to wed. This comes as bad news to Victor's maid, Justine (Gaunt), with whom he's been carrying on experiments of a different kind. When Justine tells Victor that she is pregnant and reminds him that he promised to marry her and that he must send Elizabeth away, we see his ruthless side. When Justine goes into his lab to find a way to make Victor pay, he locks her in with the Creature, knowing full well what the deadly results will be.

The character of Paul begins to develop a conscious and is trying to protect Elizabeth against Victors' madness and the unpredictability of the Creature. Paul is the sympathetic character and tries to become the Jiminy Cricket on the Baron's shoulder. This Baron has no conscious. He is a rqather dispicable cad with whom we can develop no empathy.

The Creature (Lee) doesn't make his first "living" appearance until almost 50 minutes into this brief 83 minute film. With limited screen time and make-up that is a little off-putting, Lee is never given the chance to create a chemistry with the audience like Karloff was able to do so effectively. The fact that Paul is the only character we can sympathize with makes it hard to warm up to the film. We don't get to know Elizabeth well enough to care much.

The print itself is gorgeous, the sets and costumes are first-rate. Overall this is a very handsome production.

6* (out of 10) An interesting start to the series. The shock of seeing Frankenstein in color for the first time was one of Hammer's best selling points at the time. Despite not caring for many of the characters the film is still very interesting. Subsequent episodes get better. My memory of this film was much better than the reality of this revisit.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

Hammer was aces for supernatural shockers, no question, but my accolades for them run to their more "psyche out" creepers, like '63's deliciously unnerving Paranoiac, with an amazingly menacing young Oliver Reed.
A year earlier, he'd narrowly dodged playing the "heavy" in Losey's commendable These Are The Damned, but his role here nailed him to an expertise of playing the sly, lurking brute.
If you've never seen it, give it a try; it can make even a warm summer breeze blow cold!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "Curse of Frankenstein," although I think "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed" is the best of the Hammer Frankenstein films.

I think of "Curse" as more of a black comedy than a horror film. I see it as owing a lot of debts to "Kind Hearts and Coronets".