Thankful

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: Thankful

Post by JackFavell »

I'll take a gyro instead. :)

Here in New England, all the best pizza restaurants are Greek including the famous Mystic Pizza (lame movie, good pizza), which is right down the street from our house, and the owner is my daughter's best friend's dad. I could not ask him to give me his recipe, nor would I expect him to ever offer it up to me. The crust is not thin, nor is it deep dish. It is thinnish under the toppings, and rounded up on the edge, which is crunchy on the outside chewy on the inside, like a good breadstick. I am pretty sure they slather that rounded edge in olive oil before it goes into the oven. It is truly something to be thankful for! Delicious!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And yet another tangent:

One of the first things I noticed as I became acculturated in The Greek Way was that in spite of Greek men having been the great creators of so many marvels of the food world -- from bechamel to the chef's hat -- and the chefs that the Western European royalty imported for their courts, and restaurateurs throughout Europe, the Americas and Australia, one never sees them cooking at home (except for the lamb and pig on the spits in the front yard).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

What is pizza with no marinara? They call it white pizza here.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We have white pizzas here, some of them have a bechamel topping, or white sauce mixed with parmesan, and some are just cheese with no sauce. I unfortunately favor the white sauce version, which is very fattening.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

On the non-fattening front, I've just discovered how delicious spaghetti squash can be. Around in grocery stores at this time of year, I split it, roasted it at 350 degrees with the cut side down after brushing the interior with a little olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano. After an hour I removed it from the oven when the knife went into the skin easily. I waited for it to cool a bit, and scooped out the yellow-gold threads inside, serving it with a fresh tomato sauce. You could put parmesan on it too, I would think, though it was yummy without it too.

Does anyone else like this? Know any good recipes? There seem to be lots around the internet, but I was wondering if someone here might know one. Thanks.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:It's good to have you back, Birdy! We missed you.

I am very truly and especially thankful this morning, because Andrew's car caught fire in the driveway last night, while we were sitting down to dinner, we are all fine, thank goodness. It started in the little heater that the Subaru company installed, meant to keep the car warm enough to start the next morning, when it is cold wintertime. I am actually glad to know that was the cause, because my mind was racing back to the fact that my husband had just brought my daughter home from dance class fifteen minutes before the fire. We were also lucky that it wasn't in the middle of the night when everyone was sleeping.

Here in New England the houses are old, tindery and very close together, so we were pretty scared. My daughter was taking a shower at the time, so we got her wrapped up in a sleeping bag, grabbed clothes and took her to the neighbors on the other side. The house was untouched and we are all totally fine, a little shaken, but nothing was damaged except the garage door and floor (from water damage). The truth is, we could have probably stayed in the house for the whole thing, but I'm glad we took precautions, it could have been so much worse. The hamster and fish are totally fine, no smoke got into the house at all. There was only a tiny bit of a smell of smoke in the kitchen afterwards (those new windows were a good investment). No neighbor's houses were touched either, in fact, the whole thing was pretty small. The tires popping was pretty much the only real dangerous event. We spent 45 minutes at the neighbor's, my daughter and me, while the wonderful firemen put out the fire and then checked every bit of the house and garage and surrounding area for embers. It was pretty small in retrospect, we are relieved, but still a bit weirded out this morning.

It could have been so much worse, but thanks to the neighbors who called 911 faster than us, and to our great fire department, very little was actually burned. Even the interior of the car was completely undamaged. We're giving thanks for living where we do with such great people around us. Thanks for listening.
I am so glad that you, your family and your house are alright. I was out of touch for part of last week so I missed this. I hope that the insurance aspects with Subaru are settled simply and quickly. I apologize for not seeing this post before.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No apology necessary, Moira. We are all doing fine, and the homeowners insurance seems like it will covering our losses and damage in the garage, thank goodness.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Happy Turkey day! My family is NOT spending it with Martha Stewart this year...here's a preview of how our Thanksgiving Day plays out...

1) Our driveway will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After several trial runs and two visits from the fire department, it was decided that, no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

2) Once inside, please note that the entry space will not be decorated with swags of Indian corn and fall foliage. Instead, I’ve gotten our daughter involved in decorating by having her track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was her idea.

3) The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this is Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the paper Cinderella dinner plates, the leftover Halloween napkins, and my famous Garfield cup collection.

4) Our centerpiece will not be a tower of fresh fruit and flowers. Instead we will be proudly displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper and macaroni. The artist assures me it is a turkey, albeit one without wings, legs, or a beak.

5) We will be dining somewhat later than planned. However, our daughter will entertain you while you wait. I’m sure she will be happy to share every choice comment her mother made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims, stuffing choices, the turkey hotline, and, especially, her husband. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 7:00AM upon discovering that said husband had only remembered to pull the turkey from the freezer at 6:00AM, and that the thing was still hard enough to cut diamonds.

6) As an accompaniment to our daughter’s recital of these events, I will play a recording of Native American tribal drumming. Curiously, the tribal drumming sounds a great deal like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, but that only enhances the holiday appropriateness. If our daughter should mention that we don’t own a recording of Native American tribal drumming, ignore her. She’s only eight; what does she know?

7) A dainty silver bell will not be rung to announce the start of our feast. We have chosen to keep our traditional method of assembling when the smoke alarm goes off.

8) There will be no formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like. In the spirit of harmony, we will ask all the children to sit at a separate table. In a separate room. Next door. And I would like to take this opportunity to remind our younger diners that “passing the rolls” is neither a football play nor an excuse to bean your cousin in the head with bread.

9) The turkey will not be carved at the table. I know you have seen the Norman Rockwell image of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. Such a scene may occur somewhere in America, but it won’t be happening at our dinner table. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in the kitchen at a private ceremony. I stress “private”, meaning “Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children, or older, helpful grandparents into the kitchen to check on my progress. I have a very large, very sharp knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win the battle. When I do, we will eat.”

10) For the duration of the meal, we will refer to the giblet gravy by its lesser-known name: Kraft Cheese Sauce. If a young diner questions you regarding the origins or makeup of the Kraft Cheese Sauce, smile kindly and say that you know the answer, but it’s a secret that can’t be revealed to them until they are 18.

11) Instead of offering a choice among 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints. You still have a choice: take it or leave it.

That concludes our list of alterations. Again, I apologize that Martha will not be joining us this year. Come to think of it, she probably won’t come next year, either. And for that, I am indeed thankful.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OMG! That is hilarious!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Knitwit45 said:
And I would like to take this opportunity to remind our younger diners that “passing the rolls” is neither a football play nor an excuse to bean your cousin in the head with bread.

Who said that applies only at the kids table?

My motto is "Eat dessert first, life is short."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We are lucky in my house if the turkey doesn't go flying across the table at someone. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I got some turkey advice once, supposed to be foolproof. You stuff the bird with unpopped popcorn, roast at 350 until the oven door blows open and the bird flies across the kitchen......:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: The bird is done.......
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Haha! A real "pop up" timer!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Good one, KR....I'll be serving lots of Old Southern Recipes!!!!!