The Snake Pit (1948)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Snake Pit (1948)

Post by moira finnie »

The groundbreaking The Snake Pit (1948), which is on TCM this evening, is intriguing for many reasons, including the Anatole Litvak storytelling, and perhaps it remains a worthwhile film, telling the story of a mental patient. Olivia de Havilland, who showed a gift for portraying women whose inner struggles were best conveyed by underplaying, was in marked contrast to the leading ladies of the time, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. While I don't like all of Olivia's roles, this one may be one I'll stick with, hoping that her struggles aren't in vain, psychologically and dramatically. Besides, I love some of the work of her fellow castmates, particularly Celeste Holm, Ruth Donnelly and Betsy Blair as her fellow mental patients.

Be Warned: I think I'll skip the scenes with that authority figure Leif Erickson! Jeez, he was bad enough as the tough love Dad in Invaders From Mars (1953)! How did he feel playing in this movie when his first wife (Frances Farmer) had awfully similar experiences as the lead character...only worse. :shock:

Of course, one could interpret this entire film as an allegory of a patriarchal society, but one mustn't be too didactic, right?

Hope you'll add your opinion of the movie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Re: The Snake Pit (1948)

Post by mrsl »

I saw this film when I was about 30 or so, definitely old enough to understand how ignorant her husband was, and how uninformed the medical people (all of them, from doctors down to orderlies). I have not since been able to watch it. It is a frightening movie that something like that happened at one time, or could possible still happen today. My most memorable image is when she is standing in the middle of the room and grabs her hair and ears as the camera pulls back and her surroundings look like a snake pit. I had nightmares about that for weeks. But what affects me may not affect anyone else, so I hope more people watched it and enjoyed it. I too, would love to hear comments.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I really don't care much for de Havilland, but I think she's at least -- well, tolerable in Snake Pit. However, I find virtually no variation in pitch in any of her performances, and I get tired very quickly of her studied, overly ladylike, singsong voice delivery. Some actresses do that better than others.

The affecting scene that Anne describes could have been executed with just about any other actress - it did not depend very much on de H's acting abilities. I first saw this film on Million Dollar Movie when I was a little girl, and was very scared and moved by it. However, every time I see this movie now, I think of how much better it could have been with someone else in the lead. What Moira sees as underplaying by de H, I see as lack of dramatic depth. I'm no fan of Jane Wyman or Jennifer Jones, but I think they would have been better choices for this one, as would at least a dozen others. And, wow, imagine Betsy Blair in the role.

Is this story based on a book, rather than an original screenplay? If so, I'd like to read it, because I wonder what the poor woman's problem really was. That overly simplified reason for her breakdown doesn't hold much water.

And who wouldn't want the kind and calming Leo Genn as a doctor?

(OK -- here's a tanget: I used to work with a young man called Leo Genn, and he told me that his parents had seen the first Mr. Genn in a play or something, and they went backstage to meet him. They told him that their name was also Genn and, by happenstance, they had named their son Leo. And the august Mr. Genn said "Oh dear. Why?")
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:Is this story based on a book, rather than an original screenplay? If so, I'd like to read it, because I wonder what the poor woman's problem really was. That overly simplified reason for her breakdown doesn't hold much water.
The Snake Pit (1948) was based on a novel by Mary Jane Ward, a novelist
who was hospitalized 4 times for mental issues at Rockland State Hospital, beginning in 1941, but found a way to publish 8 novels, 3 of which concerned mental illness.
Above: The author as she appeared on the back of her original book.

Ms. Ward was a cousin of Ross Lockridge, Jr. , the suicidal author of "Raintree County", which later made into a movie in '57. Perhaps mental issues ran in the family? You can read more about Lockridge's life and family here at Raintree County.com. The Snake Pit is still in print and can be found on the internet, real book stores and libraries. Mary Jane and Ross are seen below in 1946, the year of her book's publication.

Ms. Ward was married to one Edward Quayle, but I've no idea if their union lasted, (if so, the man must have been deeply loving, a saint or oblivious). The author was paid $75k for the rights to the novel, (big change in the late '40s).

Gene Tierney was originally cast, but real life mental issues may have played a role in the casting of Olivia as a substitute.

Some relevant info can be gleaned from a Nov. 11, 2000 NY Times Obit for:
"Dr. Gerard Chrzanowski, a psychoanalyst who colleagues say was the model for the caring psychiatrist in the best-selling 1946 novel "The Snake Pit" and the famous 1948 film based on it, died Nov. 1 at his home in Manhattan. He was 87.

"The Snake Pit," an autobiographical novel by Mary Jane Ward, told of the experiences of a woman in a crowded mental hospital where therapy for schizophrenia included being wrapped in wet, cold sheets, "boiled" in a bathtub and given electric shock treatment. Her few moments of gentle care come when she talks to the psychiatrist she calls "Dr. Kik." In a published essay, Dr. Chrzanowksi named Miss Ward as one of his patients. Because of the difficulty Americans had in saying his name, Dr.Chrzanowski (pronounced shar- NAHF-ski) was called Dr. Kik, according to his colleagues. In her book, Miss Ward described Dr. Kik as having an unpronounceable tangle of consonants in his name and an undefinable European accent.

As for Miss Ward, she suggested in her book that Dr. Kik believed she was in danger of a recurrence of her problem after her release from the mental hospital. She suffered a second breakdown in 1957, and a third in 1969. She died in 1981."
jdb1 wrote:And who wouldn't want the kind and calming Leo Genn as a doctor?
Me. He's too calm, bordering on dullness, and that's saying something for me. You know how I like those dull Englishmen normally!

Besides, I really resented the gist of Olivia's treatment by him, which basically made her fit for doing the dishes, and keeping house, and, maybe keeping Mark Stevens smiling. I guess that's better than flipping out all the time, but is it living?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, but Moira, a great many shrinks adopt that very serene, controlled, and non-judgmental attitude, and I'm sure it was much moreso the case way back then. Think of M*A*S*H's Dr. Sidney Friedman. Was there ever a more laid-back, even-tempered, soft-spoken, and low-key character (maybe until Seth Green's Oz on Buffy the Vampire Slayer)?

Thanks for the info on the book -- I'm going to look for it. Methods for dealing with mental patients have changed, but not all that much. Perhaps it's attitudes that have changed more. It's for sure that being institutionalized was a source of great shame in 1946, and Ward was probably lauded for her courage in admitting it.

As for the movie, I've often wondered why de H was put in a bottom-tier ward. She didn't seem all that disturbed to me. I suppose it would have been indelicate by 1948 standards to show her raving. It's part of the trouble with the movie. De H doesn't give me much sense of internal turmoil. She just seems a little peeved, but in a very ladylike way. And then she remembers that Mommy and Daddy didn't hug her enough, and she's cured.

Reminds me of the denouement of The Lost Weekend:

Wyman: You have to stop being an alcholic.
Milland: OK. The End.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Judith:

DeH is one of the things we disagree on. I love her. Regarding the last paragraph in your last post, that was exactly the point I made. She wasn't really that mentally disturbed (according to the movie, I don't know the book), the first time hubby had her committed. I believe the treatment she received, and the company she was forced to endure added to her disillusionment over and over until she really did have something wrong.

I do agree it was not acting on DeH's part that made that scene so stunning, I didn't mean to infer that . . . it was the work of the camera, with the pulling away and the people turning into snakes, so to speak. You are correct that any actress could have done that scene, except maybe Gene Tierney with her foibles.
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It would be a very interesting exercise to re-make this movie, but keep it in its own timeframe. I'm very sure that a discontented woman of that era could well be considered mentally unbalanced, even if she was not. One of my very own aunts was very unhappy in her marriage and with her life (this was in the late 40s/early 50s), and was probably quite depressed because of it. Her doctor shipped her off to a psychiatrist, who ordered shock treatments to "snap her out of it." She was not psychotic or schizoid, only deeply unhappy. But -- a lucky girl who married her high school sweetheart and had a nice home and a couple of kids wasn't supposed to ever be unhappy, so it must have been mental illness. I imagine my aunt was too embarrassed to admit what was really bothering her, so she submitted to the treatments. Such was a woman's life in those days. No doubt something similar befell the author of the book The Snake Pit. And small wonder that stars like Davis and Crawford were so popular -- they managed to break out of these constraints, at least on film.

And sorry, Anne, I really don't like de Havilland. I find her a bland and uninteresting screen presence. The only thing I ever liked her in was A Midsummer Night's Dream, made when she was just 18 and hadn't yet developed that mannered phoniness.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb1:

Your ideas are probably spot on correct. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you most likely have it right.

As for your liking DeH, I hope you didn't think I was trying to change your mind. No, no, not at all. One of my favorite friends loves these new CGI blood and guts movies, like the remakes of Halloween, and Last House on the Left, eeewwwww, and I wouldn't spend the electricity on them. But we have some rousing talks now and then.
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:If TCM hasn't done a series on mental illness as depicted by Hollywood, maybe they should do one.
Hi King,
I may be wrong, but I don't think TCM has ever done this sort of theme. I've been pulling for TCM to set aside a month devoted to Psychology on Film for years now and I'd like it if they could entitle that theme Physician, Heal Thyself, Psych Out, Shrink Rap, or At Play in the Fields of the Freuds.

I kid a little, but there are so many fascinating/distorted/enlightening films that incorporated evolving notions of the human mind into their characters from the silents on. It would be fascinating to trace the evolution of this phenomenal 20th century branch of medicine through popular cinema. It would be interesting to see how psychology went from being a plot peg in a movie such as Random Harvest (1942) and then went on to popularizing notions of shrinks as secular priests who could enlighten as seen in Blind Alley (1939) to The Dark Past (1948), (hey, that's the same movie!). I'd also like to see a night of English movies about shrinks in trouble, such as Dead of Night (1945), Mine Own Executioner (1947), The Seventh Veil (1945), and The Upturned Glass (1947) .

Some of it could also be lighthearted, such as the musical Carefree (1938) with Astaire and Rogers, comedic with dark threads, such as Captain Newman M.D.(1973), or silly like What a Way to Go (1964) and others could be really powerful films, such as The Mark (1961), the movie that tried to address child abuse, Pressure Point (1962) touching on the psychology of racial hatred or Equus (1977), which may be one of the most affecting of the whole genre.

Others, such as Bewitched (1945), Spellbound (1945), High Wall (1947) Black Angel (1946), Shadow on the Wall (1950) could tackle how film noir used (and abused) notions of psychology. Then we could move on to stranger pastures such as The Three Faces of Eve (1957), The Christine Jorgensen Story (1970), and, of course, David and Lisa (1962), Morgan (1966), and Heavenly Creatures (1994).

Clearly, this is a month that it would be fun to program. If only they would ask us. Do you have any favorite psyched out movies?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Moira, I wonder if TCM is concerned with the politcal correctness of such a venture.

But, anyway -- how about M, Mad Love (and others with either Lorre, Karloff or Lugosi) Lady in the Dark, Night Must Fall, Home of the Brave, Pride of the Marines, A Double Life (is that the name of the one with Ronald Colman?), Harvey, Fear Strikes Out, Sunset Boulevard, any movie with disturbed ventriloquists (oh, you said Dead of Night ), and various Ingmar Bergman ventures into the psyche. There are so many, aren't there?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Cat People

Heavenly Creatures is an AWESOME film. EWWWWWW!

Night Must Fall is an AWESOME film! EWWWWWWW!

I like this idea.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great list, Judith. Autumn Leaves would be excellent as would all the others you named, King. I'll have to see if I can remember any lobotomy movies, though this is usually the kind of movie I've avoided, though I do think that one of the best things that The Snake Pit portrayed was the shock therapy. Of course we'd have to have One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975).

Cat People (1942) is a great choice, JF. Bedlam (1946) and The Curse of the Cat People (1946) should be shown in honor of Val Lewton! We'd need a brief foray into an exploration of twins, evil and good, schizo and real, in the mix too. A couple that fall into this bin would be Robert Siodmak's The Dark Mirror (1946), and Dead Ringers (1988) with Jeremy Irons (a movie that could only be shown after midnight). Prince of Tides (1991) should be included too.

Oh, Men! Oh, Women! (1957) is a ghastly "comedy" centered around a couch doc. Arsenic and Old Lace (1942) would be a good comedy to show that touches on the funny farm.

Now, Voyager (1942) and Kings Row (1942) certainly should be included as rather groundbreaking in this area, no?

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
A Child Is Waiting (1963)
An Unmarried Woman (1978)

Freud (1964)...how could we forget!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How about a sub section: war = madness?

The Lost Patrol (Karloff)