Musical tribute to the modern Scottish Soldier

stuart.uk

Musical tribute to the modern Scottish Soldier

Post by stuart.uk »

I was trying to find a clip from The Red Rose, a biopic of Robert Burns, which included a great version of his song The Red Rose by folk singer Isla St Claire, who had a small role in the film. This was because Miora showed an interest in Burns in another post. I wasn't able 's to find it, but stumbled across another movie, I wasn't aware of. It's called Highland Laddie, and is a musical documentary tribute of the Scottish Soldier. It's produced and presented by Isla St Claire. Isla is mainly known as a Scottish 'sfolk singer, but found fame as a co-presenter of Larry Grayson's Generation Game in the 70s, before a brief career as a childrens presenter on a Saturday Morning Show. I hope you like this clip, I thought it great. Isla sings the song A Scottish Soldier. The song was a hit in the 60s for Scot's entertainer Andy Stewart, who wrote the lyrics. While it's Andy's song, Isla gives a modern feel to it with footage of Scot's troops in war zones. Also in the clip Isla looks down over Edinburgh from the top of the world famous Edinburgh Castle

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Re: Musical tribute to the modern Scottish Soldier

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, Stuart, that was beautiful and so moving.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That clip was great, Stuart! What beautiful shots of Scotland and her men and women! Thank you.

Stu,
Are you thinking of The Romance of Robert Burns (1937), which is a film short made by Warner Brothers biopic about the poet? I've seen it on TCM and it was terrific, directed by noir filmmaker Crane Wilbur (when he was in a lighter mood), even though it was only 16 minutes long. There also appears to be a film called Red Rose (2004) with Michael Rogers in the lead. Perhaps that is the movie you are thinking of?

In any case, thanks very much for looking for these movies. Burns seems to be a ready made figure ideal for a movie (even if subtitles might be needed for those of us who aren't Scottish born). :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

[youtube][/youtube]
Miora.it's the 2nd movie.

Above is a link of John Cairney reciting Burns. As a young actor he appeared as an Irish Imigrant in A Night To Remeber and as a Detective in Victim. He has played Burns on both stage and in a tv series. But for his typecasting as Burns, he probably would have been as big as Finney or Bates

I've also found one of Paul and Linda Mcartney's biggest selling UK NO 1s Mull Of Kintyre, video made on his Scottish island