Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

Post by MissGoddess »

For any who are interested, I and another TCM Forum member exchanged some commentary on the film in my Ava thread found here (just scroll down a wee bit):

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... &tstart=25

I have long been fond of this film. Several screencaps are posted in the above discussion, but they are from the DVD release which is not the restored version, alas. However, I did get to see Pandora's new splenor a few months ago in here in NYC and it was wonderful.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I've loved Pandora and the Flying Dutchman since I first saw it summer of 2005. There was a good print in NYC at that time, and I caught two screenings at Symphony Space, and then two screenings at the Film Society of Lincoln Center as part of their Technicolor festival. More recently I've been watching it on the Kino DVD. It's my favorite James Mason film, and to me it's more his film than Ava Gardner's. I do hope this restoration will cause a new DVD release -- the current DVD is a bit dark and muddy in places.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I hope the DVD of the restoration comes out soon. The colors and definitions were amazing, and I think all your comments are so insightful, kingrat, especially concerning the script. And Ava did handle the dialogue well, and she was at one of her most beautiful seasons. Thank you.

And thanks to Miss G for the link and professionaltourist for her personal comments.

I truly enjoyed seeing the introduction by Angela Allen, and the first 30 minutes of this film, but had to leave early.
I met Miss Allen the following day at brunch and also visited with her at the last TCM party in Club TCM. She was very
approachable and willing to discuss her experiences with Mason, Ava Gardner, and the director.

She again discussed the tricks they would play on Albert Lewin and his hearing aid.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I hope the DVD of the restoration comes out soon.
The restored edition of Pandora and the Flying Dutchman is being released by Kino on August 3rd, both on DVD:

and Blu-Ray:
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thank you for the heads-up; I have added this to my wish list. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is wonderful news!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

DVDBeaver's review of the Blu-ray, including some nice screencaps.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The film Albert Lewin made following Pandora and the Flying Dutchman is even less well-known: Saadia (1953). Both are about beautiful exotic women in exotic settings. TCM could easily have included this in their Arab Images series because the setting is a small town in Morocco. Fortunately, they did show it, although I forgot to send a note to those who might be interested.
Oh, I must have missed Saadia completely. I'd love to see that as well as The Living Idol (1957), Lewin's last official credit (he was supposedly an uncredited contributor to The Naked Maja (1958), though I can understand people running away from being responsible for that movie. Have you had a chance to see The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)? It's fascinating, has a great cast, including George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Frances Dee and Warren William. It can be seen on youtube in HD:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

thanks for posting Bel Ami, Moira!

I like Lewin a lot, though his movies can be a bit reliant on narration. Maybe it's just because I love George Sanders, but I enjoy the way his movies flow. They are always interesting character studies.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:thanks for posting Bel Ami, Moira!

I like Lewin a lot, though his movies can be a bit reliant on narration. Maybe it's just because I love George Sanders, but I enjoy the way his movies flow. They are always interesting character studies.
I like that aspect too, Jacks, but the visual style of Lewin's movies is always striking, even if they are a bit too rooted in the literary for many people. I always think it was kind of an encouraging sign that someone in Hollywood had a library card! :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks