Iraq

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Iraq

Post by ken123 »

Is anyone watching the U.S. House Debate in regard Iraq War Funding ? It is on C - SPAN right now. :x
ken123

Post by ken123 »

In the last few days we have learned that the Pentagon is drawing up plans for U.S. ( 30 - 40,00 ) to be stationed in Iraq for decades, and now the San Francisco Chronicle and the Website THINK PROGRESS reprt the the Bush regime is doublying American combat troops to 98, 000, making the U.S. will , by Christmas, have nearly 200, 000 troops in the war torn country. Didn't the former Chair of TJCS tell Congress that hundreds of thousands of troops would be required. The General soon " retired ". :(
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ken 123:

By now you know my estimation of GWB, but at this point, I have to say with a nearly 3/4 count of dems over reps in both houses, I don't see how his plan could be accepted, unless we've been so totally manipulated, that he even has control over dems as well as reps.

If the scenario you described, Lord help us if we have another Katrina, or any other natural phenomena where we need some help both financially and from our national reserve, because both will be empty.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Anne---so true. I hope the hurricane season isn't too rough this year. It's a shame that people are still living in FEMA trailers and those trailer parks are now crime-ridden. I don't feel bad for the drug dealers and thieves, but for the children and honest citizens that must live there.

Sandy K
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The rise of combat troops is already under way, it is the newest surge, on top of the one already announced . Bush doesn't give a hoot about Congress, the American people, or anything. Col. Owen Thursday ( Fonda - " Fort Apache " ) is in the White House. :cry:
Last edited by ken123 on May 24th, 2007, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Ken wrote: "Col. Owen Thurday ( Fonda - " Fort Apache " ) is in the White House."

Right you are, Ken, right you are.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Dewey1960

Thanks ! Only if it wasn't so, and if the Democrats had a spine. :(
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

We still have more than a year to go with this murderer in the White House, and it's rather hopeless to wish that global warming will stop just to protect us from him. Just imagining the consequences if more fires break out in California, and more hurricanes hit the southwest, is enough to make you want to pack up and run for this hills. With the National Guard, as diminished as it is right now, it will be even less effective if they have to fight on two fronts, not to mention the Mexican border.

Is there anything we can do to prevent what is going on, other than writing to our Congressmen? People say they will write, but few of them do. Heck, if they won't vote, why should they bother to write a letter? If you do try to bring people to their senses, you're ridiculed and comics make you the butt of their jokes, like Cindy whats-her-name. She was revolting against the loss of her son, yet the White House and the media made her a laughing stock, and we, the sheep who live here in the U.S. went along with it, except for the few who rallied with her - now, everyone is spouting what she said 2 years ago.

Our country is in a sad shape, and very few seem to realize it. They seem to think it will all blow over. The wives, and mothers, and the troops themselves, all complain, but like Cindy, the few Captain Yorks are treated like naughty children when they try to combat the insanity. Too bad our present day Col. Owen Thursday, can't receive the same ending his cinema predecessor did. I can imagine the FBIs' faces when they knock on my door and see my gray hairs. I wonder if they check the classic movie sites on the internet!, like they do our phone conversations.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Military - Industrial Complex lives and our Congressmen and Senators are beholden to them, otherwise this war, against a country that we invaded were reasons that were entirely false, would never have happened. :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You can like Bush or not but to call him a murderer is going too far.
No one is thrilled with the war but how do you deal with people who want to destroy us. They have no interest in coming to a peaceful coexistence. We can argue the merits of how you deal with them but deal with them we must. The murderers are the ones who want to hide behind women and children and blow up shopping malls and behead journalists. As little as you think of Bush I can't imagine you can equate one with the other. Do we include Clinton for Somalia & Bosnia? Kennedy & Johnson for Vietnam? Did you hear Joe Biden wants to invade Darfur?

I hardly think you can hold Bush responsible for global warming either. This went on long before he got here. And if you're going to complain about him then you have throw your stones at China and India too. Shoot, Europe can't even meet the guidelines of the vaunted Kyoto treaty. The thing about warming is that people talk like the whole thing is settled. I know there is little argument that it is happening but there is plenty of disagreement on how. You can't lay that whole burden at our door.

Cindy Sheehan is the name you want. Also, I think your phone calls are safe.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne, you wrote: "Too bad our present day Col. Owen Thursday, can't receive the same ending his cinema predecessor did."

Anne, don't be so sure about that. Comeuppance comes in a variety of forms.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Iraq didn't cause 9 - 11. Going to war with a country that nothing to do with the terrorist attack is just plain dumb. Now the Iraqi's want the invading force out of THEIR country. Any country would want the occupiers out ASAP. The damage this war has done to American soul is beyond repair. The U.S. is building 13 permanent bases in Iraq and a huge embassy, " larger than the Vatican ", according to GOP Congressmen Ron Paul of Texas. The U.S. is not leaving in any of our lifetimes.

Biden is beyond words. But Darfur is a tragedy . :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ken123 wrote:
Biden is beyond words. But Darfur is a tragedy . :cry:
Agreed.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

movieman1957 wrote:You can like Bush or not but to call him a murderer is going too far.
I think he is most certainly a war criminal. Invading and occupying two countries - one with very little cause and one without any at all makes him one.

But that's a moot point, because before he ever stepped foot into the White House he was a murderer.

Signing the death warrant of at least one inmate put to death for a crime someone else ADMITTED to committing, all to prove himself 'tough on crime', was unconscionable. Not to mention signing the death warrants of MORE THAN one individual with long, colorful, and well documented histories of mental illness (as in, paranoid schizophrenia and similar mental disabilities).

Dubya was instrumental in cutting the mental health benefits for the indigent mentally ill in Texas down to practically zero. His solution, instead, was to allow them to wander the streets untreated until they committed a crime, and then lock them up in one of the worst state prison systems in the country...where they were victimized and sometimes killed.

One of these very individuals, who had been discharged from the military after being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and who had been in and out of mental institutions because no one could pay for permanent care, and whose parents had BEGGED the State of Texas for help on numerous occasions before their son committed his crimes, was executed on Dubya's watch. Dubya signed his death warrant himself.

So...not to put too strong a point on it...this 'compassionate conservative' is about the least compassionate individual to ever step foot in the White House as far as I am concerned.

And I believe that 'murderer' is exactly what he is.

For the worst possible reasons as well - personal political gain.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

pktrekgirl, thank you for your illuminating and disturbingly accurate post. I don't think one can go far enough in calling Bush what he so clearly is: a lying, murdering, sub-literate cheerleader for the world's most corrupt corporate entity. When the smoke clears from this administration's insidious activities and a new and hopefully more enlightened cast of characters take charge, one can only hope and pray that the heavy hammer of justice will descend upon those who have so willingly sacrificed the sanctity and dignity of this great republic for their own devious purposes. But no matter what happens--and the worst couldn't possibly be bad enough--to the likes of Bush, Cheney, Rove, et al, it will never eradicate the heinous stench of their criminal regime. It will linger for generations to come.
Last edited by Dewey1960 on May 25th, 2007, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.