My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

mrsl

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post by mrsl »

Earlier I mentioned this movie on another thread, so I decided to watch my copy of it from the other day. I had never seen it before although it has been on and I just ignored it. I don't recall Ben Johnson being in the credit listing on the cable TV listings. This is a really, really good movie and I hope some of our other fine writers watch it and fill in with their wonderful in-depth character reviews.

There are actually 5 separate stories going on here. Basically H.D. (Scott Glenn), who I never appreciated until The Hunt For Red October opened my eyes to him, returns from several years of riding rodeo and getting badly banged up. The first story is his relationship with his sister (Tess Harper). She's pretty mad that he left for the rodeo and left her holding the 'bag' (Ben). She and her hubby (Gary Busey) have deposited him in a retirement home where it seems most of the 'clients' are well into senility. Ben is still mainly self sufficient, but screws up now and then like letting the bacon grease cook while he's outside working on the lawn mower. Ben is mad at both his kids - her for putting him in the home, and H.D. for going off to the rodeo and leaving him behind (a past star on his own). With all of this H.D. runs into his old girlfriend (Kate Capshaw) and rekindles their romance after a few thwarted attempts. But he get to her through her son (Balthazar Getty) who also strikes up a friendship with Ben. The old homestead is in bad disrepair, and taxes are coming due, and lots of other financial problems are around the corner, so when H.D. learns that there will be a $125,000.00 prize for an 8 second ride on a specific bull, he starts training, even though he promised everyone he was done with rodeo. Ben and the kid finally come around and help him. There are a few deep discussions yelled between brother and sister, father and son, and father and daughter.

The movie moves from beginning to end and even the 1991 obligatory bed scene is quick. The people are real and the acting is Top of the Line. It's still on Encore- Western this month, if you care to check it out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post by mrsl »

I wanted to revisit this post because I watched the movie again last night and zoomed in more on Ben Johnson. Our gals who are so nuts about him (along with me) would probably love his part in this one. He actually does things wrong on purpose, but they are stunts to 'get back' at his daughter and son, not because of senility, as I thought before. Watching his 'so readable' face is an eye opener. He's a rascal, and he's smirking when nobody is paying attention to him. When we first see him in the retirement home, he's pretty much accepted his fate, so he just goes along and does what he wants to as long as the nurses aren't looking, and ignores his roommate (Mickey Rooney), although he understands why he is as he is. Later in the movie when things are better after he's made his escape with his son, he stops the tricks and becomes the dad. He wasn't a very good dad because he was always off with the rodeo circuit, but his son doesn't realize he, himself, is living the same life, and moving all the time just like his dad did. There isn't really any tear invoking revelation between father and son. Just living day to day makes them accept each other, but there is a good confrontation between brother and sister which involves dad. In fact there are several confrontations in the movie, but all of them are well acted and fit the circumstances well.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pvitari

Re: My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post by pvitari »

I wish My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys was out on DVD but so far its only appearance on home video was on now out of print VHS tapes and laser discs. It does show up on TV.

It was distributed by the Samuel Goldwyn Co., and the rights I believe are now held by MGM, which is in a real mess these days, so I'm not expecting a DVD anytime soon. :(