Vivien Leigh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Vivien Leigh

Post by MissGoddess »

Next Tuesday, September 7, 2010 marks the first evening of TCM's Star of the Month
spotlight on my very favorite actress, Vivien Leigh. Don't miss a line-up of her early British films airing after the
documentary, "Scarlett and Beyond". All times EST.

8:00 p.m. Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond (1990)

9:00 p.m. Dark Journey (1937) Vivien Leigh is in love with a German spy, played
by the elegant Conrad Veidt.

10:00 p.m. Storm in a Teacup (1937) Vivien Leigh gets mixed up with a brash reporter played
by Rex Harrison.

12:00 a.m. - Sidewalks of London (1938) - In the best of the evening's films, Vivien plays an urchin
aided to stardom by street busker Charles Laughton. Enter third point of the
triangle: Rex Harrison.

Have a peek, won't you?

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Re: Vivien Leigh

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Vivien Leigh is a wonderful actress, for me she's equally watchable in her early films as she is in her later films. If you have chance to watch A Yank At Oxford she's an absolute minx in that and although only the second female lead, she steals the show.

Do you have a full schedule for her movies Miss G. I can't see the schedule because I'm in England.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi, everyone!

Here is the Full Schedule of Vivien's films on TCM.

Tuesdays in November, all times EST

November 7, 2010

8:00 p.m. Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond (1990)

9:00 p.m. Dark Journey (1937)

10:00 p.m. Storm in a Teacup (1937)

12:00 a.m. - Sidewalks of London (1938)

November 14, 2010

8:00 Gone with the Wind (1939)

12:00 a.m. The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind (1988)

2:15 a.m. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

November 21, 2010

8:00 p.m. Fire Over England (1937)

9:45 p.m. That Hamilton Woman (1941)

12:00 a.m. Waterloo Bridge (1940)

2:00 a.m. A Yank at Oxford (1938)

November 28, 2010

8:00 p.m. The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961)

10:00 p.m. Anna Karenina (1948)

12:00 a.m. Ceasar and Cleopatra (1945)

2:15 a.m. Ship of Fools (1965)

5:00 a.m. Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingrat wrote:MissG, I'm looking forward to seeing some of Vivien's early films. In FIRE OVER ENGLAND, neither she nor Olivier quite has the star look. You wouldn't guess that Olivier would soon be a super romantic lead in WUTHERING HEIGHTS or that Leigh would soon become of the great movie stars in GWTW, WATERLOO BRIDGE, and THAT HAMILTON WOMAN. Where did things start to work for these actors?

Hi, KR!

If I had to pick my least enchanted Vivien Leigh film, it would be Fire Over England. I'm not always that
fond of historical/costume dramas to begin with, and this one plays a little too earnest for me. I don't know
what my problem is, because Vivien really is darling, playing her lady-in-waiting (who hates to wait!) with
the kind of innocently shameless passion that would characterize her most famous roles...and mark her life, tragically.

The rare gem TCM could not apparently snag, the one movie of hers I've never seen and in
which she also co-starred with Laurence Olivier, is 21 Days Together, from 1940.
One day I hope I can get it from ebay or Amazon marketplace, because I know it's out
there somewhere.

I kind of wish TCM would show 1955's The Deep Blue Sea, which is scarcely ever seen but
which you can get a look at on YouTube, here:

[youtube][/youtube]

I must warn you the picture quality is atrocious, but it may be all that is available and doubtless TCM
could not find or acquire rights to a better print.

And for the heck of it, TCM might also have tacked on Elephant Walk, in which we can
technically see Vivien in some location long-shots, filmed before she became ill and Elizabeth
Taylor took over her part.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

An article below, at VivAndLarry.com, written by playwright Godfrey Wynn who was a friend of Vivien's:

http://www.vivandlarry.com/winnstory.php
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Miss Leigh making her debut on camera.
MissGoddess wrote:The rare gem TCM could not apparently snag, the one movie of hers I've never seen and in
which she also co-starred with Laurence Olivier, is 21 Days Together, from 1940.
One day I hope I can get it from ebay or Amazon marketplace, because I know it's out
there somewhere.
Ask and you shall receive, G-girl! I've seen clips of 21 Days Together and the dialogue seems pretty nimble--not to mention the complementary visages of both leads approaching their full flower--they positively glow. I can't wait to see this in its entirety (before it disappears again).
[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess wrote:I kind of wish TCM would show 1955's The Deep Blue Sea, which is scarcely ever seen

The British theater seems to be re-discovering Terence Rattigan again at last, as evidenced by the recent sold out revival of a forgotten Rattigan play, After the Dance, and I've heard of several different productions of The Deep Blue Sea on stage in America and elsewhere. I am hoping that this means that we might see at least another Region 2 DVD someday. Despite the lousy quality of the print, Leigh's performance seems worth seeing to me. Maybe I'm just a fool for this woman's work, but her character suggests a lifetime of regret in the shrug of a shoulder, a soft look, or the dying fall of her words. That she was capable of such expressiveness despite her many problems is even more impressive.

I'm really delighted that Sidewalks of London (1938) aka St. Martin's Lane will be shown. There is something about her performance that is fey, mischievous and delicate, yet vibrant in that movie, especially in the scene in the half dark when she dances all alone in the empty house--completely unaware of others and only to express her joy. Charles Laughton and Sara Allgood's sister, Maire O'Neill are both fine in this slice of London life, too.

Of course, this never completely gets old either, at least for some of us.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Miss Goddess, I think you'll enjoy this link. :)

http://dawnschickflicks.blogspot.com/20 ... erloo.html
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks to Nancy I've been lucky enough to watch two of Vivien's later films, THe Roman Spring of Mrs Stone and Ship of Fools. It's a while since I read about Vivien but I know she was a fragile character, in these two films she plays two women who are ageing and are suffering for it. In Roman Spring of Mrs Stone, Karen Stone Vivien's character suffers at the hands of Paolo, even after realising early on what he is and what he is after, she has an affair with him despite knowing better and it unhinges her. In Ship of Fools she plays a woman who is past her peak and is holding on to what coquettish beauty she has left. These are two brave choices and she's excellent in both of them, stealing every scene she's in, despite in the later film being part of a large ensemble cast. She's also very beautiful, still photography had made me think that she hadn't aged well, she did over make up, especially for Ship of Fools but she is trim, alluring and still possesses that cat like beauty that for me, makes her one of the most beautiful and expressive actresses ever to grace a screen.

These later films are much better than I'd been led to believe. I've always thought she was one of the best screen actresses, this has only confirmed my opinion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A clip from Things Are Looking Up, the 1935 British movie that features Vivien's first screen appearance. She has just the one line. Though the image is fuzzy, you can still make out who she is:

[youtube][/youtube]

And a very touching video made from Waterloo Bridge clips. Heartbreaking. Be warned, it does contain spoilers if you have not seen the film.

[youtube][/youtube]

This month (February) on TCM Vivien can be seen in The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone (February 14, 1:00 p.m. EST) and of course, being that it's Oscar month, Gone with the Wind (February 17, 10:30 p.m. EST).
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you for posting those clips, Miss G. I think that Vivien Leigh was the girl who breaks ranks and teases her teacher in the first, no? The second...well, was there ever anything more romantic and touching? I love the Saint-Saens' excerpt for the music too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, that's Vivien you spotted in the first clip. Characteristically impulsive.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

DESPERATELY SEEKING......

I just saw "THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS. STONE"...for the first time...all the way through...from beginning to end. WHEW!! Boy, Tennessee Williams is sure hard on women!!! Think about it: “Night of the Iguana” “The Glass Menagerie” “Summer and Smoke” “Sweet Bird of Youth” “Cat On a Hot Tin Roof” “A Streetcar Named Desire” “Suddenly, Last Summer”...think about the struggles and demons his heroines have to fight their way through to almost the last page. Looking for love in all the wrong places...aging. And if the soul-crushing nakedness of Blanche DuBois wasn’t enough, Vivien Leigh goes for a second helping in this Tennessee scorcher as ‘Mrs. Stone.’

I can envision this double feature: “The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone” with “Sunset Boulevard.” Yes, they’re different in temperament. One is definitely this macabre gargoylian gothic setting while the other is in the bright sun of the sexy Italian Riviera. But both films show older women buying the love of a younger man. ( Cougars? ) Both films show a person trapped in circumstances of their own making. They’re not trapped beyond their control. All Joe Gillis has to do is walk out of that mansion. And all Karen Stone has to do is kick that gigolo out on his keister.

But they can’t.

I enjoyed this movie...if one can say they enjoy watching the train wreck of another human being. I enjoyed it, but it was tough to go down that road of self-destruction. The film was well-acted all around. Warren Beatty. Lets add his name to that long list of famous young Eyetalian actors:

Image Image Image

No...I didn’t believe his Italian, but I certainly ‘bought’ his gigolo. I found him very attractive, and he was perfectly suited to the part: self-centered and satiated; showing off in that barber’s chair...getting fitted for a new wardrobe...and being cruel. Very very cruel. You know the type (...though I hope not through first-hand experience). As soon as you give him what he wants he turns on you like a cobra. But the baaad thing (on your part) is that you still want to stroke him, pet him. (ACK!!! That’s Tennessee fer ya!!!) And he played her...he played the lonely widow like a fiddle. This is early in Beatty's career. And he does a decent job opposite a powerhouse of an actress.

VIVIEN LEIGH. Now come on...what an actress. She’s wonderful in this. Sad, strong, vulnerable, hungry. There was room for her to be over-the-top, but she wasn't. She was ever graceful, so lady-like. She floats...walks on air. Her smile still so sweet and I loved the huskiness in her voice as she grew older. Older...ha! (48 y.o. sounds young to me), and still attractive. Her Karen Stone starts off to Italy with her husband, but he dies enroute. She won’t listen to the commonsense of her friend to go back to the States (played to usual bitchy perfection by Coral Browne). She wasn’t going to be taken in by that lot over there. But she made the mistake of falling in love. Oooh, that infuriated me and broke my heart. (Hey Karen, this won't end well for you milady!!!) Methinks she had a fatalistic streak in her too. She knew she’d end her days there. And she probably wanted to: "All I need is 4 or 5 more years..." You know, I think we get so many chances to change our path, but we don’t pay attention to the signs until we end up in trouble. It was no different for her. The gigolo says very cruel things to her; like a thousand paper cuts...he throws her age up at her, he obviously flirts with others in front of her. Gorgeous but vapid Jill St. John being one of them.

ASIDE: Be on the look out for a young Jean Marsh in this. Also:
[u]stuart.uk[/u] wrote:77-yr-old Jean Marsh from Upstairs Downstairs is recovering from a stoke. Jean, who plays Rose Buck, wasn't able to return to Upstairs Downstairs for the first 2 episodes, but is back for the 3rd out of a series of 6. With Eileen Atkins leaving the show, Jean is the only link to the original series from the 1970s. She was at one time married to Doctor Who actor Jon Pertwee and has appeared in at least 3 Saint episodes with Roger Moore.
But for some reason this lonely woman accepts it all. Egads!!! To be over forty. < Sigh! > Life is Over ! Oh the horror of it all!!! Throw yourself over a cliff...or walk down deserted Italian alleyways!!!! I thought Leigh did a great job and I confess it is sometimes easier for me to see this, not distracted by her beauty.

But the character that got me was Lotte Lenya. OMG she is such a hoot in this movie! Don’t get all caught up and twisted and freaked out by her Rosa Klebb in “From Russia With Love.” She was good in that and she’s good here. She’s a madam. Oh let’s call a spade a spade: she was a pimp. She pimped these young men out to lonely rich women. And it looked like everyone was in the game over there in Italy. (Uhmmm...is that still going on over there, does anybody know? Just curious for research purposes). Aaaaah Lenya as the Contessa, she laughed and schemed and planned and manipulated. She had her little black book out jotting notes. She was out for what she could get. She was not to be played with; she wanted her cut of the profits. And there were profits to be had from these rich old gals who would pay for...companionship. I waited for her scenes. Aaahhh, now there was a woman in control of her fate. Sort of.

Luckily our mindset has changed over the years about women getting older. Still viable...still desirable. But that was not Mrs. Stone’s fate, nor the fate of many of the women in Tennessee Williams’ oeuvre. Leave it to a Man to write about a Woman. Watch it for how Vivien Leigh maneuvers her way through this minefield.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH

Look at Vivien Leigh's eyes. They really are the windows to her characters' soul.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Marvelous reading on a film I have always found exceedingly painful to watch...as many T. Williams movies are, as Vivien's final few roles are as well. What is roughest of all is how bravely she shows all the vulnerability and fears of an aging woman, particularly an aging beauty. It's one of the reasons I admire her so. She is an aging beauty with all the painful fears and issues, some as a result of her own choices, and she's throwing it all up there on the screen so explicitly it makes me squirm and always has. She's one of the bravest actresses ever. If you weren't known as a beauty, it's not the same to play older. There's no attendant "shame" hung on you. No whispers like "She used to be so beautiful!"

When I first went to Rome I had to visit the spot where Karen's villa is supposedly located, atop the Spanish Steps. It's still quite a view.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

A great write-up, Maven!

I admit, I don't always watch this movie, as you both say, it's too painful. But if I happen upon it by accident, or am in a particular mood, I will most likely give myself up to it. I am glad we live in a different time, where age is not quite such a big deal, but with today's emphasis on looks and health, I wonder if we can't draw a parallel in our own world. Certainly, I have been able to empathize with Mrs. Stone long before I was old enough to understand exactly what she was going through.

Vivien is the most extraordinary actress to have ever lived, as far as I am concerned. The greatest film actress, bar none, and yes, I am including some big names. She never seems to work at her performances, though I am sure she did. She just lives and breathes the character, and goes to such depths that one wants to look away, it's so deeply personal.

I agree, MissG, that it is probably harder to look at oneself aging if one was a great beauty to begin with, and we see Vivien's sharp critical eye turned inward upon her self. If this beautiful woman hates herself, then what chance have the rest of us normal women as we age? :D

Maven, I think Tennessee Williams was just as hard on his men, for his men are not survivors. His women are, but just barely and that can be a bigger misfortune.