Vivien Leigh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: Vivien Leigh

Post by CineMaven »

[youtube][/youtube] [youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by CineMaven on March 24th, 2012, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Where do you FIND these???? They were brilliant! The first one made me cry and the second one made me realize just how many shots of Vivien longing for Ashley there are in that movie...and the words the way they match the shots made me laugh...she was so changeful! Thanks so much, T, I'm actually going to send these to my Mother. I've never sent her anything like this, but she really loves this movie (and the book).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yay...I'm glad you liked them. I've been immersing myself in YouTube montages studying what works and what doesn't. Looking at a couple of the "GWTW" videos just reminds me of Vivien Leigh's incredible depth as Scarlett. (Well the whole movie's just an incredible feat!) So many times Leigh switches emotions on a dime in a great smooth way. She is commanding. Case in point happens in the second video, when Rhett leaves her to 'face the music' in that fantastic dolly shot (which does rival the "Stage Coach" shot). He leaves her at the door and she has a look of fear when she looks at Rhett; when she turns to face the room, check out her eyes & how they flintily narrow slightly in defiance as she walks into the foyer. It's like she acts between the lines. Does that make sense?

Look at me telling you. You know ev'ry frame.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's so true, T! That ability to switch emotional gears so quickly, it must have been part of her own personality, she does it so realistically, and yet dramatic in its effect. That's one of the reasons I say she was the greatest screen actress. Just made for the camera. Every thought and emotion flits across her face with absolute clarity, sometimes several conflicting ones in succession. That scene at the party is a perfect example.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be great.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I couldn't agree more! She was an incredible actress, whose range seems so far beyond that of mere mortal actresses. She's got an uncanny ability to think very quickly, and lets it all show in her face, but without forcing it at all. I can't tell you how many of her emotions I feel like I've experienced myself, in my most private moments, and it's because she portrays them ruthlessly, not through some gauzy halo of self consciousness. She's a no holds barred actress. She will go anywhere, no matter how painful or ugly the emotion is, and she walks into it fearlessly.

I couldn't help noticing the cold look she gives Rhett when she's sitting at the dressing table with Ashley's picture on the floor... she looks like she hates Rhett for intruding on her reverie with every fiber of her being, she's not even there when he walks up to her, she's with Ashley in her mind.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How lucky was David O Selznick to find her when he did, I like her earlier work but there's nothing there to suggest this great depth, she shows some of Scarlett's qualities often playing the minx. She is fabulous, not only does she bring Scarlett to life but made the characters of Anna Karenina and Blanche Dubois her own too.

Love those video clips.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love her Anna, too, it's a movie that gets short shrift sometimes but I think she's brilliant.
charliechaplinfan

I can't understand the knockers although Kieron Moore as her Vronsky doesn't help the film's memory.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think he's the fly in the ointment. :D You know for years I watched this movie thinking Vivien was the perfect Anna, and loving it. It's only since I read the reviews in the last few years that I find it's supposed to be a dud. This is why I try not to read too much about films anymore. As you probably know, i am a big fan of Richardson as well.
charliechaplinfan

He's great as Karenin, he and Vivien are so perfectly cast. I'm really fussy about adaptations from books, especially favourite books like Anna Karenina and I think they've captured their characters perfectly. I know Garbo's interpretation is usually held to be the classic one but I have trouble with the healthy looking Swede as the frail ethereal Anna. I'm not sure who should have played Vronsky, Larry Olivier would have been too dashing and a bit too old but he would have been better. John Gilbert was good in Love and Fredric March wasn't bad in Anna Karenina.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know who would have made a better Vronsky in the Leigh version, probably anybody. :D

I like both Anna's, the Garbo and the Vivien ones, almost equally - with Vivien given the edge as to the portrayal of Anna herself, and Garbo's version given the edge with the settings and a decent Vronsky, though March is almost too kindly and heroic a Vronsky I think. In some ways it works having a poorer actor in the role, because he does come off as childish and callow, without being mean about it. Sometimes I wish I could mash the two into one movie.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:That's so true, T! That ability to switch emotional gears so quickly, it must have been part of her own personality, she does it so realistically, and yet dramatic in its effect. That's one of the reasons I say she was the greatest screen actress. Just made for the camera. Every thought and emotion flits across her face with absolute clarity, sometimes several conflicting ones in succession. That scene at the party is a perfect example.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be great.
JackFavell wrote:I couldn't agree more! She was an incredible actress, whose range seems so far beyond that of mere mortal actresses. She's got an uncanny ability to think very quickly, and lets it all show in her face, but without forcing it at all. I can't tell you how many of her emotions I feel like I've experienced myself, in my most private moments, and it's because she portrays them ruthlessly, not through some gauzy halo of self consciousness. She's a no holds barred actress. She will go anywhere, no matter how painful or ugly the emotion is, and she walks into it fearlessly.

I couldn't help noticing the cold look she gives Rhett when she's sitting at the dressing table with Ashley's picture on the floor... she looks like she hates Rhett for intruding on her reverie with every fiber of her being, she's not even there when he walks up to her, she's with Ashley in her mind.
With both you posting here ... I agree with both you regarding to Vivian ... I wished that I seen more of her on film and never been able to get around watching her movies. I'm a fan of hers and I adore her mightily and you can safely count me as a fan of her.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingme, you can see Vivien in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone and Streetcar Named Desire at the end of April on TCM. And I am sure you will love Waterloo Bridge, which is playing May 5th. It's good to know you are a fan.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This will make the Vivien Leigh fans happy (I can't wait to get this):

The Cohen Group will release The Vivien Leigh Anniversary Collection on Blu-ray on November 19. The set will have the following films:

Dark Journey
Fire Over England
Sidewalks of London
Storm In a Tea Cup

I can't wait for November 19... especially for Dark Journey since Miss Leigh's leading man is Conrad Veidt. ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yet another reason I should have a Blu-ray player. :)

I wish 21 Days Together would surface, I have yet to see it.
-- Will Rogers