Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Richard--W

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Post by Richard--W »

I thought it would be nice to watch Roy Roger's color western musicals. I dislike singing cowboys as a rule, but Roy Rogers always cheered me up, and his films were short enough at roughly 60 minutes to not overstay their welcome. Also, he could sing, whereas the other guy couldn't, and he had the Sons of the Pioneers to join in harmony from time to time. Then I started reading the customer reviews at amazon, and the idea of gathering his color films in uncut form is not so simple. For one thing, the reviews of different DVD and VHS editions are jumbled together, and you can't always tell which edition is being commented on for quality, color, and completeness. For another, the listed running times may not be accurate, especially when in conflict with customer reviews.

According to the imdb, Roy Rogers made 17 western musicals at Republic in the Trucolor process. The films with correct running times are:

1950 The Trail of Robin Hood -- 67 minutes
1950 North of the Great Divide -- 67m
1950 Sunset In the West -- 67m
1950 Trigger, Jr -- 68m
1950 Twilight of the Sierras -- 67m
1950 The Bells of Coronado -- 67m
1949 The Golden Stallion -- 67m
1949 Down Dakota Way -- 67m
1949 Susanna Pass -- 67m
1948 The Far Frontier -- 67m
1948 Grand Canyon Trail -- 67m
1948 Night Time In Nevada -- 67m
1948 Eyes of Texas -- 70m
1948 Under California Stars -- 70m
1948 The Gay Ranchero -- 72m
1947 On the Old Spanish Trail -- 75m TruColor / 54m TV cut / 57m Westerns Channel
1947 Springtime In the Sierras -- 75m
1947 The Bells of San Angelo -- 78m
1947 Apache Rose -- 75m

I have read that all of the above were cut down to 54 minutes for television airings, and these shortened versions appear in most if not all public domain editions and collections, and sometimes in authorized editions. The cuts were usually to the songs. Also, not all of Roy's Trucolor films survive in color. Some only survive in black and white. Which color films survive and which don't, and of those which survive and which have been released and which haven't, is not clear.

A couple of customers on amazon specified that Republic / Artisan's DVD of The Bells of Coronado (1950) was complete at 67 minutes with all songs intact and in excellent color, so I bought that. But the reports of Roy's other Trucolor films in their various editions are confusing. The authorized "Happy Trails Theater" editions from Good Times Video is a case in point. Customer reviews are highly critical of this series. Good Times Video seems to have released almost all the Trucolor titles, but whether or not they are actually in color and uncut is anything but clear.

So, which editions are complete, uncut, good quality transfers in reasonably good color? Which editions should I buy? is there perhaps a Roy Rogers fan at the Oasis who has sorted this out?

Richard
Last edited by Richard--W on December 6th, 2010, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To live outside the law you must be honest."
Bob Dylan, 1965
pvitari

Re: Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Post by pvitari »

I have read that all of the above were cut down to 54 minutes for television airings, and these shortened versions appear in most if not all public domain editions and collections, and sometimes in authorized editions. The cuts were usually to the songs. Also, not all of Roy's Trucolor films survive in color. Some only survive in black and white. Which color films survive and which don't, and of those which survive and which have been released and which haven't, is not clear.
Richard -- the sad state of Roy Rogers on video was discussed in a Nitrateville thread which yours truly started after picking up Timeless Media's Roy Rogers-King of the Cowboys set, and being disappointed with the quality of the films therein, despite their supposedly being "digitally remastered" and the set licensed by the Roy Rogers Family Trust.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=5838

Ed Hulse in particular provides valuable information in the thread.

I was heartened to see that the second TCM festival "will salute the 100th birthday of the 'King of the Singing Cowboys,' Roy Rogers, with presentations of his films that
will include new restorations." I'm keeping all body parts crossed that these new restorations will eventually find their way onto TCM's schedule and maybe even DVD.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I hadn't realized how many Roy Rogers movies I've seen. That Trucolor is quite unique isn't it? I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is, except stronger colors than you see with Technicolor, the reds are more red, the blues are more blue, and the greens are more green. I did notice how the color of the horses change with the lightning. Trigger looks blond in most scenes, but in some he looks like he's more of a roan, with blond main and tail. I never noticed it was a different coloring process until you mentioned it although I did see the differences.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Happy 100th to Roy Rogers!