Historic Hollywood Sites

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Historic Hollywood Sites

Post by moira finnie »

A couple of questions for you, Lynn, now that I've read through the entire wonderful thread.

1.) When does the tour bus leave, Ms. Cutter?

2.) Do Silver Screen Oasis members get a discount if we say that Randolph *cue chorus* Scott sent us?

3.) Could you please take a look at the mansion in the background in Night and Day (1945) as Ginny Sims and Cary Grant sing "You're the Top?" I am almost positive that Bruno (Robert Walker) in Strangers on a Train (1951) lived in this same mansion but I can't find any clear cut info about this location. This house just reeked of "posh" and I'd bet a nickel that it was featured as Clarence Kolb's digs in The Five Little Peppers movies in the late '30s and early '40s. I thought that Larry might know something about this house too, since I am almost positive it is the LA area. Btw, this song applies to you for all the time and trouble and love you lavished on this wonderful thread:
[youtube][/youtube]

4.) Also, was the Hollywood Legion Stadium anywhere near the American Legion Post 43 that you mentioned earlier in this thread? I understand that the Hollywood Legion Post was where the Hollywood elite rubbed elbows with the hoi polloi at the very popular boxing matches, political rallies and all manner of mass meetings that once took place there. From what I have read on Friday nights in the '20s-'50s, it attracted herds of Hollywood residents to the fights each week--especially in the '20s and '30s, before there was much else to do around town. In Robert Parrish's memoirs he recalls the early years of the Depression spent on the fringes of the stadium, where he and his brother tried to cadge a few bucks selling stuff to the big shots--one of whom--Al Jolson--took pity on Parrish and his brother and helped them get into the fights and to find better jobs in the movies (the Parrish kids had been extras for a long time by then). Here are a few pictures of the stadium that I've come across of the Hollywood Legion Stadium:
This is the old Legion Stadium on a busy night. This one was torn down in '33.

I think this is the new entrance to the stadium built in '34, but I'm not sure.

This is the interior of the Legion Stadium that was built in 1934. Does it still exist?

5.) Do you know what parts of the structures built for the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics still exist and are in use in the LA area? I remember seeing them featured in several movies, such as Million Dollar Legs (1932), Search For Beauty (1934) and reportedly in parts of Jim Thorpe, All American (1951).

6.) Could you please tell me if you have been to the Bradbury Building in downtown Los Angeles? I am interested in this place since the architecture is clearly so intricate, beautiful and durable and it has graced so many movies (The Unfaithful, Shockproof, DOA, Chinatown, Blade Runner, 500 Days of Summer and more) and tv shows (Banyon)? Is this being preserved carefully, I hope?

7.) Have you visited Angel's Flight, which I understand has some financial problems due to the poor economy? I have loved this quirky trolley line whenever I spotted it in movies, many of which are detailed here. Below is the image that loomed in front of Van Heflin as he tried to run away from his fate in Act of Violence (1949):
Lzcutter wrote: Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel
1714 N. Ivar Avenue

The 11-story HKHotel opened in 1925 and became very popular with the Hollywood crowd. Today, it is perhaps more known for its more macabre history.

In 1943, it was where police broke into the room of starlet Frances Farmer. Claiming she had failed to report to her parole officer, the police dragged Farmer through the lobby while she spewed obscenities every step of the way.

In July 1948, D.W. Griffith, the pioneering silent film director who had done so much to help create American film story telling techniques, died alone in the hotel. He hadn’t directed a film since 1931 and was mostly ignored by the industry he had helped to create. His funeral, however, brought out over 500 industry movers and shakers and celebrities.

In 1962, famed MGM costume designer, Irene, checked into the hotel. She tried to cut her wrists and when that failed, she leapt to her death from the roof. Two days earlier, she had displayed her latest collection at a fashion show in Beverly Hills. Newspaper accounts attribute her depression to the recent death of her husband and business problems
Whoa! Bad mojo on this patch of real estate. Get a priest, a rabbi, a medicine man and a mullah to say a prayer over the spot, will ya, LA?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you so much, Lynn. I'm going to set aside an hour to peruse this thread fully. What a lot of work you've put in. Have you ever thought of publishing this? I'd buy it, I feel like I've taken a vacation.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Thank you so much, Lynn. I'm going to set aside an hour to peruse this thread fully. What a lot of work you've put in. Have you ever thought of publishing this? I'd buy it, I feel like I've taken a vacation.
Lynn, you should take Allison words seriously ... I spent a hour and half on three separate hits today and I for one - I'm very, very, very, impressed the efforts that you have put this together. This is a treat for all history bluffs like me and I loved reading every single word of this ... I'm in awe of this TREMENDOUS EFFORT that you put this together. I really mean - that you should take ALLISON words very seriously ... I would buy that book in a heartbeat. This packed so much information adorned with fabulous photographs and illustrations ... I love every single post that you did in the past 1-2 days ... speaking to the heart ... you should take Allison words seriously. I loved this tread.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is about Lynn's Vegas site. She mentioned it to me way back, a couple of years ago when it was still only a few pages long. I still check in every now and then to see what has been added, but in order to do that, you have to make sure you have plenty of time, because inevitably you end up re-reading some of the stuff you've alredy read. Publishing is not a bad idea, hmmmmmm.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I truly appreciate it. After almost 35 years of living in the City of Angels, (yeah, I know, I work in the City by the Bay these days but as long as MrCutter is holding down the homefront in the San Fernando Valley, my heart and my voter registration remain in the City of Angels- so to my way of thinking, I am still an Angeleno), I figured it was time to start committing all the history of my favorite city to paper. I am at an age where the filing cabinets of my brain are full and flowing over with all that arcane information I have collected over the years.

Not so long go, I could answer questions about classic films without hardly blinking. Now, I pause and think about it and double check with IMDB to be sure. Before my brain decides to start dumping the "stacks" area of my memory to make room for more arcane information, I decided to take the plunge and start sharing it with others.

Jacks,

There are some "storybook houses" in the Glendale/Los Feliz area near where the Hyperion Studio was located. Walt's favorite restaurant, Tam O'Shanter's (still going strong) has a comic drawing of Walt framed and signed. It's designed in an English Tudor style and has been at the same location for over 70 years.

There are also a couple of "witches" houses in Los Angeles. One is located in Culver City and at least one was in Beverly Hills. They are called "witches houses" because of the Hansel and Gretel architectural style. I'll try to find more info for you!

M,
I'll have to study those clips on my big monitor this weekend and will back with answers, I promise! And fans of Randolph (cue chorus) Scott fans (like Joel McCrea fans) always get a discount!

Anne,
Thank you for the kind words on my Classic Las Vegas blog (www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com). I do have a book from Arcadia Publishing on the history of Las Vegas as told in postcards. Most of the text in the book came from my blog.

I hope everyone will enjoy the thread and yes, I will be adding to it beginning next month (this month is crazy busy with the Museum being a partner and having a program at the Film Festival). So check back in May for more history!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

Thanks a million for all those photos of famous LA landmarks.

Might I add some personal places:
Griffith Park and the Observatory
Greystone Manor
USC and the Doheny Library
St. Vincent de Paul Cathedral
Doheny Mansion

and a drive up Roxbury Drive...

Greystone Manor may be of interest to us here as it has been used in many movies.
Doheny Mansion has also been used in some; and was the residence of my great grandfather and step-great grandmother..
They built St. Vincent de Paul Cathedral and the Doheny Library...

A drive on Roxbury Drive will place one in the street where Lucille Ball, James Stewart, Jack Benny, Rosemary Clooney & Jose Ferrer and Agnes Moorehead all lived. I lived there too!
Elaine Stewart still lives there. But, most all their houses are now demolished.

I don't have pictures of these to post and don't know how anyway - Sorry..

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry,

I will definitely be posting about your suggestions! I love Greystone (former home to the AFI back when the AFI was the film preservation organization and a school and not the other way around).

I'll see if I can find some photos of the home on Roxbury as well!

Can't believe it is only a few weeks till we see each other!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I came across a website called Southern California Architectural History with tons of info about the unique architecture of that part of the world. Perhaps this is of interest to others who are enjoying Lynn's posting here:
http://socalarchhistory.blogspot.com/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

Hi Lynn

Only just registered and seen this thread - great to see the old Hollywood places - particularly Ciro's and the Trocadero - which I understand were started by Billy Wilkerson - I also understand he opened La Rue's and L'Aiglon along with a connection with Sunset house.

Do any pictures exist of these sites ? - and where exactly was L'Aiglon ?

Bilbo
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

bilbo,

Unfortunately, while I am familiar with Billy Wilkerson and his career as a restauranteur and night club impresario, I'm not familiar with L'Aiglon. I am quite familiar with some of his other Hollywood hot spots as well as his obsession in the desert, the original Flamingo Hotel (before he had to take on Bugsy as a partner).

I'll do some digging around and see if I can find out more for you.

I don't want folks to think I've forgotten this thread. I came across a couple of really cool websites about Los Angeles and Hollywood history and have been busy doing research.

Look for me to return (this time I promise) with lots more after the 4th of July holiday!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I was able to find some info about the "Storybook Houses"

The Witch's House:

The Witch's House: Also known as the Spadena House, this is one of the earliest and most magnificent storybook homes ever built. The structure is currently undergoing an extensive restoration. The owner plans to restore the visible exterior to its former dilapidated glory, duplicating the original appearance while adding more living space at the back. Built in 1921 by Oscar-nominated Hollywood art director Harry Oliver http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0646856/-the structure originally served as offices and dressing rooms for Culver City-based Willat Studio, which made silent films.

Moved to its present Beverly Hills location in 1926 or 1934 (accounts vary), it became the home of the Spadena family, and then the Green family. At some point it acquired the name "Witch's House" because (holds one account) a former resident used hand out candy on Halloween—while dressed as a witch.

The third and current private owner is a real estate agent who grew up in the home's Beverly Hills neighborhood and "always loved the structure." When the house came up for sale in 1997, he first tried to sell it, then—upon learning that all other bidders planned to tear it down and build something else—bought it himself the following year for a reported $1.3 million (the price of the lot; the home was free).

The proud new owner planned at first to make a few repairs and do a little remodeling. That changed when he met Hollywood art director Nelson Coates-http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0167655/ - who thought that much more was possible. With Coates acting as an advisor, a comprehensive restoration was undertaken to return this storybook landmark to its former dilapidated glory.

Chaplin Court:

When Charlie Chaplin built his studio just south of the intersection of Sunset Blvd and La Brea Avenue, the lot included a number of whimsical buildings including this one called Chaplin Court. Built in 1922-23, it also ranks among the earliest. Commissioned by Charlie Chaplin and constructed by Hollywood set designers, the diminutive complex of buildings served as temporary living quarters for male actors working at nearby Chaplin Studios.

According to the current owner, who acquired the property in the mid-1990s, a journal left by former tenant John Barrymore reveals that Chaplin himself occupied the right rear cottage, and John Barrymore the left rear cottage—which was subsequently occupied by his son of the same name, and in which Drew Barrymore was born. Rudolph Valentino resided in the front left cottage, and Douglas Fairbanks (Sr.) in the front right.

Also according to the current owner, the right front cottage was at one time occupied by Judy Garland, and the court played host to many Hollywood parties—where thirsts were sated from a giant beer keg which was for a time the sole occupant of Valentino's former cottage (more recently occupied by Patrick Dempsey).

Following its glory days, the court slid into disrepair. The most recent owner was a poet (now deceased) who resided on the premises, but used most of the cottages as storage buildings. Extensive restoration (costing a reported million dollars over the course of several years) was required to bring Chaplin Court to its current condition. The cottages are now rented as apartments to those with discriminating tastes.

Pyke House:

Pyke House, built in 1926. The influence of English Tudor style on storybook architecture can be clearly seen in this home. "Pyke House" was commissioned by and built for Albert Pyke - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701470/-, a Hollywood art director who worked on Citizen Kane and other films. Constructed in 1926, the home has had only three owners. Though strongly influenced by English Tudor style, this home's whimsical elements place it firmly in storybook territory.

Disney Court:

A storybook court, consisting of apartments around a central courtyard. Built by animator Ben Sherwood in 1931, and possibly the inspiration for the home of the seven dwarfs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

There are a number of less elaborate "storybook" houses off of Highland Avenue between Melrose and Olympic Blvds. here in the City of Angels.

For more info on the "storybook" houses, visit http://storybookers.com/
Lynn in Lake Balboa

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks SO much, Lynn for going to the trouble of researching these quaint and beautiful homes...I really appreciate it!

Can you imagine a place where John Barrymore, Chaplin, Rudolph Valentino and Doug, Sr. all lived? If walls could talk..... :shock:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

M,

About the Bradbury Building:

It has quite a cinematic history- it's the sleazy hotel that Jack Lemmon checked into in Good Neighbor Sam, its where Edmund O'Brien meets his bad guy in
D.O.A., it was Boston Blackie's office building and James Garner's Marlowe had his office there as well as Robert Forester in his tv series, Banyon. Sebastian, the genetic designer in Blade Runner also called the Bradbury home.

It is made of pink-marble staircases, wrought iron balustrudes, open elevators that all rise around a light drenched central atrium. It may be the most beautiful building in all of Los Angeles. From it's rather common office exterior, one would rarely guess the beauty that lies within.

Mining millionaire Lewis Bradbury commissioned the building. Bradbury was said to have been in ill health and wanted an extraordinary building as his legacy. The original architect, Sumner Hunt, failed to deliver any sketches that caught Bradbury's imagination. Hunt was fired and Bradbury turned to one of Hunt's assistants, George Wyman (who, in turn would become the grandfather of sci-fi author, Forrest Ackerman). Wyman, they say, consulted a Ouija board and the message from his departed brother supposedly was "take the Bradbury Building, it will make you famous."

Wyman was also inspired by more earthly things, namely an 1887 science fiction novel that described a sun drenched, sky-lit commercial building of the year 2000. The book, Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy, definitely influenced Wyman's conception of the Bradbury Building.

The Bradbury, in the 1970s and 1980s, often caught developer's eyes but luckily, preservationists and the local community kept them at bay. The building underwent a terrific restoration in 1991.

From Wikipedia:

"The building itself features an Italian Renaissance Revival -style exterior facade of brown brick, sandstone and panels of terra cotta details, in the "commercial Romanesque Revival" that was the current idiom in East Coast American cities. But the magnificence of the building is the interior: reached through the entrance, with its low ceiling and minimal light, it opens into a bright naturally lit great center court.

The five-story central court features glazed brick, ornamental cast iron, tiling, rich marble, and polished wood, capped by a skylight that allows the court to be flooded with natural rather than artificial light, creating ever-changing shadows and accents during the day.
Detail of stairway ironwork.

The elevators, which go up to the fifth floor, are cage elevators that are surrounded by wrought-iron grillwork rather than masonry.

The entire main building features geometric patterned staircases at all ends. Ornately designed wrought-iron railings are used abundantly throughout the building to create the illusion of hanging vegetation.

The wrought-iron was created in France and displayed at the Chicago World's Fair before being installed in the building. Freestanding mail-chutes also feature ironwork.

The walls are made of pale glazed brick. The marble used in the staircase was imported from Belgium, and the floors are Mexican tiles."

In 1971, it was added to the National Registry of Historic Places.

Other films it has appeared in include the 1951 remake of M starring David Wayne and directed by Joseph Losey, the 1953 film noir, I, Jury and, of course, Chinatown.

Today, it is open for tourists and is one of the most popular sites in the City of Angels.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

Angel's Flight is a short funicular railroad that was used in it's heyday to get people from Bunker Hill down to the city below.

It opened in 1901 with two rail cars, Sinai and Olivet, connecting Hill Street and Olive Street. For over sixty years, until 1969 and the razing of Bunker Hill, it transported people and their packages up and down from Bunker Hill. As one car ascended, the other descended. It operated with a good safety record despite the fact it lacked safety brakes.

It can also be seen in Robert Aldrich's great, Kiss Me Deadly with Ralph Meeker as private eye, Mike Hammer. The film also had location shooting on Bunker Hill and you can see many of the old mansions that used to be part of the Hill's landscape that had turned into boarding houses and flop houses by the 1950s.

When it was dismantled in 1969, the cars were placed in storage. Twenty seven years later, they were returned to service when the funicular was rebuilt about a half block south of its original location. A new track and hauling system were designed. The little railroad was closed down in 2001 when a tourist was killed and again earlier this year.

But, the little engines that could, reopened on July 5th this year with new steel wheels.

Today it connects the historic core of downtown with the California Plaza that replaced the mansions on Bunker Hill.

It has had quite a career in films and television series as well as Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch mysteries set in the City of Angels.

Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

The Hollywood Legion Stadium was about two miles east of the Hollywood Legion hall. The stadium, which was one of the premiere boxing venues in the City of Angels (along with the Olympic Auditorium which can be seen in the original Rocky film).

It was located on North Gower Street and El Centro Street and operated under the auspices of the American Legion post (highlighted earlier) over on North Highland. It was an 8,000 seat venue with fight cards on Friday and Saturday nights.

When it closed in 1959, it became Legion Lanes Bowling Alley, a 44 lane bowler's paradise, which, in turn, became Hollywood Lanes. Today, it is a Bally's Total Fitness Center.
Lynn in Lake Balboa