Ray Milland, April 2011 Star of the Month

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Ray Milland, April 2011 Star of the Month

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike wrote:
moirafinnie wrote: I had the same question, but maybe it was because I had a hard time fathoming a movie in which John Wayne was apparently not on the side of the angels by The End.
HA !

Moira you said fathom - :lol: !
{Yes, I know, it's high comedy for simpletons . . but if this was 3rd grade, we'd all be laughing! }

And speaking of underwater measurements, how about Fathom - you know the one, with that South American model chick . . what was her name again?
Could this perhaps be the correct thread for discussing so daring a screen epic ?!!
Of course not - it belongs next door, in the Bad Movies that We Love thread . . too much coffee today!
There was a movie called "Fathom" starring Raquel Welch, Tony Franciosa, and Ronald Fraser - a 1967 Spy Farce/Comedy - is this the South American model chick you are thinking about (Raquel Welch) ... Klondike :?: I see this movie once in a while for kicks and its defiantly belongs in the Bad Movies that We Love thread. :lol:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes, it took a little getting used to, to see John Wayne turning out so badly - that Raymond Massey was such a great conniver in most of his films; can you believe that even John Wayne was swayed......

Poor Paulette - she couldn't make up her mind which one to go with at the end....
I didn't quite believe that she was paired with John Wayne at the beginning - I kept thinking Maureen O'Hara would appear and snatch him away.... I guess the squid made up Paulette's mind for her in the end!!!!!

Loved seeing a very young Susan Hayward and Robert Preston...

And yes, that was Charles Bickford..... He was a real life redhead, but that wig was tacky!!!
Oh well, I guess if you're a pirate, you not supposed to look fashionable....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Charles Bickford but for goodness sake, he couldn't even see where he was going with that mop stuck to his head and face! Poor guy. The only way to tell it was him was by his voice.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm very curious to see the rest of these films with slightly tired plotlines... they could still be gems waiting for discovery. Bernard Lee is an actor I like, and Fay Bainter is always good.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Night Into Morning (1951). After a fire kills his family, a college professor sinks into alcoholism. John Hodiak, Nancy Davis. D: Fletcher Markle.
A Life of Her Own (1950). A small-town girl climbs to the top of the modeling business man by man. Lana Turner, Tom Ewell, Louis Calhern. D: George Cukor. This has the reputation of being one of Cukor's lesser efforts, but it has its moments. The film opens with one of Bronislau Kaper's most haunting melodies, and the first half hour features Ann Dvorak in a memorable supporting role.

The salute concludes with three early films where Ray Milland has only small roles: The Man Who Played God (1932), with George Arliss and Bette Davis; Strangers May Kiss (1931), with Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery; and Just a Gigolo (1931), with William Haines, C. Aubrey Smith , and Lilian Bond.
Night Into Morning (1951) may sound like a retread of The Lost Weekend, but Milland's performance was impressive to me, though maybe I was just a sap the first time I saw this story. If you've ever known anyone who has had to deal with an incomprehensible tragedy, (and who hasn't?), this little-known movie has moments that hint at stark realism, even if the ending, sounding a small note of hope, may not seem dramatically logical.

A Life of Her Own (1950) is one of Cukor's least favorite of all his movies, according to interviews with the director, though Dvorak's bitter, washed-up model haunts the film and I spent most of the movie wishing that she was the central character. Milland and Turner seem to have zilch chemistry that I could discern, though the Kaper score, which the composer re-used the following year for Invitation (1951), became a jazz standard, thanks to musicians like John Coltrane. There are a couple of fine scenes other than those with the dazzling talent of Ann Dvorak, with a surprisingly likable Tom Ewell (whose inherent oiliness is usually creepy to me) as a director of a model agency. Of course, no one ever mentions that the beautifully groomed Turner was about a foot shorter and a decade older than a photographic model would be--even back then. It also doesn't help that the actress had to appear in the fashions of that day. The duds were designed by Helen Rose, (whose work Cukor actively loathed), and they tended to make the petite leading lady look like a cross between a walking toadstool and lampshade. However, there are a couple of scenes in this movie that make me smile. Don't miss the one with the couple in the New York cocktail lounge of one's dreams--until the ventriloquist shows up! That is when the movie teeters on the brink of becoming suitable material for our Bad Movies We Love thread.

I'm really interested in the last three movies, The Man Who Played God (1932), Strangers May Kiss (1931), and Just a Gigolo (1931), since I've never seen them in their entirety. Thanks for the heads up on this lineup, King.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Ministry of Fear today and thought this is the best Milland film I've seen, he's so at ease and effective as the man released from an asylum who wins a cake at a fete and finds himself in the middle of a dangerous spy ring. This really felt like a Fritz LAng film, he seems to be able to put his stamp on a film so easily. I have another Milland movie, Safecracker yet to watch.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Not much to add about my dog's second favorite actor (big Paul Newman fan). I haven't seen most of the films discussed here, which means my dog hasn't either. But BEAU GESTE is old fashioned drama. MINISTRY OF FEAR is exciting. THE UNINVITED a subtle and tasteful ghost story.

I like REAP THE WILD WIND. It is a little convoluted. But it's over-the-top Demille, from his best era. He produced some fun adventures at that time. Love the squid!
charliechaplinfan

I haven't watched Reap The Wild Wind in years but I remember the squid. I watched Safecracker today, directed by Milland, I'm guessing that it was made in Britain by MGM as a way of getting some of their money out of the country. It's the first time I've looked at Milland and seen Cary Grant, just in the expressions, especially the smirk, this role is almost a poor relation to Cary's character in To Catch a Thief but then it changes, our professional safecracker gone bad then captured helps out with the war effort, everything rolled along at a fast pace, although Milland did look a little old in some of the action sequences, he's a very competent director.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think Ray gets short shrift. What he does is quite difficult, and I think he's a very good actor, usually setting the tone for a film right from the beginning. He had one of the longest careers in Hollywood, along with Walter Pidgeon, another easy going actor who is easy to overlook. Not many actors can say they did screwball comedy, noir, musicals, heavy drama, and horror films.... plus a Hitchcock to boot.
charliechaplinfan

That's true but in most he doesn't leave me thinking he gave a good performance, I've tended to put him in the reliable leading man category but not someone I'd seek out on the stregth of his name alone. Having said this, I've enjoyed the movies I've watched lately and it's years since I watched The Lost Weekend and quite a while since I watched Dail M For Murder probably his best known work.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about his not leaving an impression - I tend to overlook him, because he is so easy going, except of course in the Wilder film. His ease of manner sometimes makes what he's doing seem easy. I can't imagine him in any Spencer Tracy roles, for instance.

But I was watching him in The Uninvited the other day, and I thought, "You know, he's really very good!" He is the one who sets the tone in this film, and changes the tone, most of the time. He goes from comic to dramatic, to icy fear, to romantic, to ....whatever the director wants. Every time there was a change in this movie, it seemed like Milland was guiding it.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't The Uninvited yet, it sounds like one I'd like to watch, especially with your description of it Wendy.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Not many actors can say they did screwball comedy, noir, musicals, heavy drama, and horror films

Not to mention, had two heads!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hahahahahahahaha! You got a big laugh out of me, Red!