Rawhide

movieman1957
Administrator

Rawhide

Post by movieman1957 »

With "Wagon Train" not really interesting me (don't know why) I started very early "Rawhide" episodes. I've enjoyed them so far. Some interesting stories and good action and, even after three episodes, a pretty good list of guest stars. (Most notable so far is Dan Duryea.)

Apparently critics hated it when it came out but by the third week it was in the top 20. (That is from the "liner" notes on the DVD.) Eric Fleming is tough as the trail boss but shows a gentler side as he spends a good deal of time keeping Rowdy out of trouble. Clint Eastwood as "Rowdy" is still about 6 years away from his Leone period and he is not nearly so subtle as his later roles would be. He clearly is the hot tempered, well meaning kid with a lot to learn. Looking for more.

Oh, Frankie Laine sure could hit those high notes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Professional Tourist

Re: Rawhide

Post by Professional Tourist »

I love the theme song to Rawhide, especially with those whip-cracks added. :)

When you reach "Incident at Poco Tiempo," I hope you will enjoy it. :wink: :P :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some observations on "Rawhide."

I'm working my way through the first season and wondered whether anyone thought they were doing one cattle drive all season. They, so far, always have 3000 head and are on their way to Sedalia.

Their guests seem to be as good as any other western of the day. They manage to find a nice variety of stories along the way.

One complaint about an episode involving wolves and them terrorizing the herd. German Shepherds do not make a good substitute for wolves. And if they can't shoot any better than they did they are in trouble.

Even with that I am enjoying it. Favor and Yates have a nice relationship. Yates is smart enough to know that he doesn't know it all and willing to apologize when proven wrong. It's father and son like and it suits them.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Chris! I'm enjoying "Rawhide" (I just learned from yesterday's episode what the heck rawhide is) so far. I do like the father/son relationship with Gil Favor and Rowdy Yates. I really like Eric Fleming, especially after Moira, I believe it was, pointed out his tragic life story. He had charisma and humor.

That's funny about the doggie actors playing wolves. I wonder if they got paid union scale? One of today's "Lawman" episodes starred one of these venerable shepherd types, this time he had to limp.

I also really have come to like the cowboys Quince (Steve Raines) and Pete (Sheb Wooley).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In the DVD I borrowed it mentioned Sheb Wooley came to Hoolywood to be a singing cowboy but by then it was rather late for it. So he became the regular cowboy actor.

I don't much about the rest of the cast. I had read about Fleming. He has a unique look, which I think came by way of an accident, and an interesting voice.

This morning's episode had Linda Cristal who, no doubt many know, went on to "The High Chaparrel." She is still among us.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Besides Eastwood, Sheb Wooley was the only one I had heard of. I've seen Steve Haines in tons of western shows, though. It's a nice cast, I like them.

I laughed a little when Wishbone told Rowdy that his face was so expressive he couldn't tell a lie convincingly. Because he really became famous for his sort of stone-faced hero.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I know Sheb Wooley primarily for "The One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater!"
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RedRiver wrote:I know Sheb Wooley primarily for "The One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater!"
He sang that????? I loved that song as a kid.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I might be wrong. But I believe that's the case.