Yvonne de Carlo Westerns, Sunday, June 26th

knitwit45

Re: Yvonne de Carlo Westerns, Sunday, June 26th

Post by knitwit45 »

One thing about this forum - it's never ceases to amaze me of the wide variety of subject that pops up time and after time. I never in a million years to come to realize that Mrs Addams of the the Addams Family did Westerns in her early years as an actress. I will be definitely be watching some of her movies on June 26th with great deal of curiosity & interest.
Kingme, Ms. De Carlo was Lilly Munster, of The Munsters, while Carolyn Jones was Morticia Addams of The Addams Family. With all that heavy make-up, I can see how it would be rather easy to confuse the two. :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Knitty,

Thanks for correcting me, I watched both shows when I was a kid ... I can see why I got confused; they were both on the same time and I should had known better. Thanks for pointing that out & I've should had known better! I'm a little :oops: for not paying attention in posting earlier in this thread. I love both Addams Family and the Munsters!

I just can't believe that I made a big error in this!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Golly, fella,we all make mistakes! I've made some whoppers, believe me. Just thought you'd want to know, but ITS NO BIG DEAL!!!!!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Moira and I'll be looking for "The Captain's Paradise"!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Moira, I followed your advice and I realized that I have a copy of "The Captain's Paradise" (1953) so I watched it today! Thanks for recommending to me this excellent Anthony Kimmins' comedy my friend, because it was a joy from start to finish! Yvonne plays the North Africa-based spouse of Alec Guinness, playing a sultry character that kind of predates Sophia Loren's persona...she's sexy, alluring, dance likes heaven, displays her fabulous legs & figure and her charm and talent as a comedienne....Guinness is superlative as the British captain who found the perfect combination for happiness...a homely English wife in Gibraltar (Celia Johnson superb too!) and an earthy wife in North Africa....Everything goes well for some years...until De Carlo gets bored of drinking, partying, dancing and nightclubbing and Ms. Johnson gets tired of domestic chores....hilarious!!

I think that this film and Walsh's "Band of Angels" (1957) contain De Carlo's best performances...Top notch!!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My thoughts,

Moira, I've just watched all Yvonne de Carlo's Westerns today and I was amazed how well she did in these movies. I was impressed by her skills as a dancer, a singer, and an actress in this genre. She was extremely lovely lady (she looks like a cross of a young Gene Tierney and Hedy Lamarr from a different light of things) and I was moved by her beauty ... and did not realized that Lily Munster (not Mrs. Addams of the Addams Family) did Westerns until I watched four of her movies today on Encore Westerns.

One thing for sure that these movies are wonderfully made, beautiful photography, great direction, action, and drama that makes its a true Western.

Maybe, many members here may not like these types of movies ... but, I watched them with an open mind and believe me I find all of these movies are quite good back in those days and never realized until last week that Moira opened up a new thread and telling all of us about Yvonne de Carlo (aka Lily Munster, of the Munsters) did Westerns when she was a young actress working for Universal.

I love all of these movies that I watched and most of them in the 80-85 minutes range and they all have one thing in common these movies are fast-paced and I was glued to my chair watching them and before you know it all 4 movies whipped by so fast - that I had a fun time watching them. My favorite of the four movies that I just watched ... is none. I loved them all equally well and believe me I had fun watching them today.

Thanks Moira for bringing this to my attention and again ... thanks for letting us know about these movies ... I had a ball watching them!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There was a silly, sort of battle of the sexes western called FRONTIER GAL. Rod "Whatever happened to him" Cameron was the hero. I believe Yvonne played the feisty femme. This one seems to have been lost to the ages. Haven't seen it in decades.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Golly, fella,we all make mistakes!

I once posted that Michael Curtiz directed THE OLD DARK HOUSE, in reality a James Whale film. I must have confused it with MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, a film from the same time period, but bearing few similarities. Oh, well...