Robert O taking a break

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Robert O taking a break

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I thought Cher was a surprisingly good guest too.

Do I worry too much? Robert Osborne was suppose to return in October (I thought October 1), but TCM's Facebook page announced that Chris Isaak and Peter Travers will be hosting the first two weeks of October; and there was no mention of Mr. Osborne's return. I'm wringing my hands.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

There's a link in my post above from yesterday to the TCM pressroom where you can read more about Robert Osborne's return in December and the hosts subbing for him, Moraldo--but yes, I can't help worrying about RO too. I just hope that he takes the time he needs to feel well enough to return. If he chooses to change his plans, I just hope it gives him more time to enjoy life. Here's hoping that December 1st brings his welcome presence back!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moraldo,

I think part of the problem was that when TCM made the announcement about Robert O taking a break, they said it would last three months. Many of us, me included, thought that meant he would be back on the air in October. But the way the press release was written was ambiguous enough, it could have meant he would return to the studio for taping in October.

Instead, it looks like he took an extra month, perhaps to build up his strength and prepare for the TCM Cruise which sounds like it takes place only a few weeks after Robert O returns to the studio in November.

Just a thought!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote: I just hope that he takes the time he needs to feel well enough to return. If he chooses to change his plans, I just hope it gives him more time to enjoy life. Here's hoping that December 1st brings his welcome presence back!
Ever since I became a member of this forum, I watch more and more of Turner Classic Movies more than ever. I wholeheartedly agree with Moira's assessments of Robert Osborne. I find him informative, entertaining, and a joy to watch hearing him describing the next movie on TCM. I find him irreplaceable and I just can't think of anyone capable to replace him on a regular basis. Just like Moira said - I hoping that December 1st brings his welcome presence back! I missed him dearly. His gentle warmth and his boundless love of movies of which I feels he bring all of us a wealth of knowledge to all of us here in Silver Screen Oasis.

I miss Robert O!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Robert O has filmed a short promo heralding his return to TCM on December 1st:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/4536 ... romo-.html

Enjoy!

And he's casually dressed because he's still on vacation.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks so much for posting that clip, Lynn. Am I silly to have felt a pang of relief when I saw RO looking so well and so rested? Long may he wave!

(I kind of wish he could ditch the suit and tie more often)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Thanks so much for posting that clip, Lynn.

You are quite welcome!
Am I silly to have felt a pang of relief when I saw RO looking so well and so rested?
Not at all, I think many of us are happy (and relieved) to see him looking so good.
Me, too!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks so much for posting that clip, Lynn. Am I silly to have felt a pang of relief when I saw RO looking so well and so rested? Long may he wave!

I agree with you Moira, he looks so much younger and energetic like this!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My Agent got me this Photograph of Robert Osborne ...

I just love this photograph with an Oscar at one of the Academy Awards that he may attended recently. I missed him dearly!

Robert Osborne
Attachments
Robert Osborne with an Oscar
Robert Osborne with an Oscar
Osborne.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

he is one gorgeous guy. Hope he is well, and ready to return.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!! Guess who's back tonight starting at 8 pm? You can read a terrific interview from yesterday's Washington Post with this gentleman here .

As he explains to his many concerned friends in his audience in this interview, his absence was not really as mysterious or dramatic as it might have seemed. “I had a few medical tests, got dental work done, and had crowns put on some teeth, then took a much-needed rest,” [he] said a few days ago from his New York apartment. “I’ve never really taken a vacation since I started working for TCM, so I was ready. Just this year, from January to June, I took 23 airplane trips and was quite exhausted. I was determined to keep away from airports! So I went absolutely nowhere — didn’t even leave Manhattan. I’ve lived in New York for over 20 years and never spent so much time there. It was wonderful.”

Many thanks to the author, Nick Thomas, for his heads up about this!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm so excited!

I would love to have an RO party, sip a little champers tonight while sitting back with my friends and favorite host, watching my favorite movie star on his first SOTM day.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I'm so excited!
Me too! :D

My new Avatar will remain for the month of December
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's not often movie fans are unanimous. But this is a personality adored by most of us. So good at his job. So devoted to it. I hope he's happy and healthy this holiday season. How wonderful to have him back!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

He's such a calm presence, it makes me feel good that he is back in time for the holidays.