Robert O taking a break

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Robert O taking a break

Post by RedRiver »

People said of Johnny Carson, even if you don't watch the show, it's just nice knowing he's there! Same with Mr. Osborne.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

According to TCM's Facebook page, Robert O is taking a break beginning tomorrow:

"Heads up TCM fans! Robert Osborne will be taking some time off next month, and Ben Mankiewicz will be hosting in his place. You'll see Ben on-air starting August 30. Here's to Robert enjoying some well-deserved time off! "

TCM did say last year when Robert O returned that going forward he would be taking an occasional break from his hosting duties. With the holidays, the Cruise, 31 Days of Oscar, the Road to Hollywood series and the Film Festival all coming up faster than any of us realize, now seems like the best time for him to take that vacation.

Hurry back, Robert O!

We miss you already!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh gee, i'm happy for him to be taking it easy but oh, how i miss him when he's gone!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It looks like Robert will not be hosting every night in prime time as of October first, with Ben stepping up to the plate. Mankiewicz made me laugh with this:

"I think of the TCM audience the same way I think of women I've wanted to date -- initially they have no interest in me, but eventually I wear them down. One reason I think there was hestitation [when I first started] was fans' desire to protect the network. We're taking care of movies, we're the guardians of these films, there are no commercials...and this young guy is coming in and what does it mean for Robert? Robert is Turner Classic Movies. It just took [the fans] a while to realize that everything is going to be the same.''

Lol! I'm going to miss RO, but I'm happy for them both in their new (expanded) roles.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/ex ... z27KQen9wo
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! He's very astute, which is unusual when people are talking about themselves and their roles in life. I like that. I do miss RO, but like Ben just fine for now. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

When he decided to leave TCM for good ... Ben will have big shoes to fill. And, this dedicated TCM viewer will miss him dearly. He is a living legend and because he speaks so well on screen and being a hard of hearing he's an absolute joy to listen to. I adore him greatly.