The Devils Doorway

mrsl

The Devils Doorway

Post by mrsl »

This one was made to 'p. . . ' me off from the beginning credits to the ending credits. No. 1, of course is Robert Taylor playing Lance Poole instead of a true American Indian. Granted it was made back in 1950, but there were a few around, and Taylor, fine actor that he is, could not exude the sense of helplessness any man would feel in Poole's circumstances. His people worked hard to create a quietly beautiful oasis there in the the valley of the mountains. There was no easy access to them, the whites did not need the land, there was plenty more around, yet this man is supposed to just give it all away, especially after spending years defending those very whites. At the same time; I know a Congressional Medal of Honor winner must be saluted, even by the standing President, but was that the ONLY perc awarded? In other words, although an American Indian, was he still not allowed to own land, or at least continue to oversee the care of it? I have another search to use and if it answers my questions I will return and state them. By the time this film was made, Taylor had done far too many 'heroic' roles to be properly sedate and remorseful. His career was built on the strong, stoic hero, and he just did not bring an honest feeling to this performance. Actually, by the end of the movie, the lady had gone back and forth so many times between the town and his ranch, it finally became rather comical when she brought the message from Washington, D. C.

Any added ideas??
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Devils Doorway

Post by movieman1957 »

I think it is a terrific film. I think Taylor he is stoic and proud and puts up the fight until even overwhelming odds can't make him quit. Is he too old for the part? Maybe, but it didn't affect my view of it. I do think the lawyer was a bit weak but that is to be expected as she is new at her trade.

I think there is a dark sensibility to it that starts with the saloon scene. It is ugly in its state of mind and no one can reason it away. Calhern plays a very good slime ball. The fact that he gets people so easily to his point of view and to follow his instructions is troubling because I think people are somewhat better than that. It's almost a toss up which is worse - his hatred or his greed. That they work together only makes him all the more evil.

The film has a great look to it. Beautiful scenery and almost a noir characteristic to some of it. I had never heard of it before I saw it and I really liked it. It was great to come on a new western with plenty to say.

Here are a few thoughts from a thread from last year.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=3&t=4240
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really have to agree with movieman, I love this movie, though it is painful to watch... and I think Robert Taylor is absolutely fantastic in the role. It's at the top of my list of great westerns.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks to both of you for your comments, I hope more come in but in any case, Taylor's stoic pride is what threw me off. He doesn't show any emotion that I could see. I guess I worded myself badly because I did like the movie, it's just that it's one more way that history cannot be corrected. I did look at Google for the CMOH, and could not find any percs to owning it. But, maybe that's enough. I think the lady lawyer was still thinking with her head stuck in the East, not realizing the West was a whole new experience. Believe me, there have been many times I wished I could expunge Louis Calhern from a movie when he's the bad guy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************