Lon Chaney

charliechaplinfan

Lon Chaney

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread but I thought if I put it in the silent category he wouldn't get mixed up with his son and namesake. He's not the first name that springs to my mind when I think about silent film stars, my mind goes to the glamourous or the ones who's lives were well documented. From what I know Lon Chaney led quite a private life away from the film set, he didn't attend many parties and like Garbo he wasn't expected to join in with the all singing dancing shows that MGM put on to rival the other studios. He was quite unique, he was devoted to his craft of acting and a master at assuming new disguises for every role, I'm not sure if he worked alone at designing the look for his characters or whether he would work along with his director. His collaboration with Todd Browning provided some of his best films, many which are well remembered today.

He's not the first silent star I think of so perhaps this is why I marvel at his craftmanship everytime I watch him. Even when the film is flawed, like Monster which I watched yesterday, he makes you keep watching. I never know in what disguise he's going to pop up in. Along with watching Monster yesterday I watched Mockery, set during the Russian revolution, Chaney isn't too made up but he's heart rending as the peasant who falls for the countess. With Monster the problem for me was he story built around it which was too long and convaluted. London After Midnight rounded out my viewing, unfortunately only a series of clips but some of the essence is retained and has whetted my appetite should it ever be found.

Aside from these I think my favourites have been

The Unholy Three
West of Zanzibar
The Unknown
Where East is East
The Phantom of the Opera

I liked his portrayal in Tell it to the Marines but like William Haines's part too much.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Re: Lon Chaney

Post by Rita Hayworth »

charliechaplinfan wrote: From what I know Lon Chaney led quite a private life away from the film set, he didn't attend many parties and like Garbo he wasn't expected to join in with the all singing dancing shows that MGM put on to rival the other studios. He was quite unique, he was devoted to his craft of acting and a master at assuming new disguises for every role, I'm not sure if he worked alone at designing the look for his characters or whether he would work along with his director. His collaboration with Todd Browning provided some of his best films, many which are well remembered today.

Aside from these I think my favourites have been

The Unholy Three
West of Zanzibar
The Unknown
Where East is East
The Phantom of the Opera
You and I sure think alike ... I seen all these Lon Chaney's films that you listed here and then some. Lon Chaney is one of those larger than life actor that I felt strongly that he was unjustly neglected because he just like you said "He was quite unique he was devoted to his craft of acting and a master at assuming new disguises for every role" that he performed throughout his legendary career.

I wanted to say thank you for starting this thread because the younger generation (members here) needs to know how good he was in all genres. Most people associated him to be a major horror star ... to me, he is most quintessential and one of many talented actors that I ever seen in my lifetime. I always watch a Lon Chaney Film whether its on Retroplex, TCM, American Movies Classics, and even my own public broadcasting channels. I saw quite of few when I was a teenager in the 1970's.

He is a very private man, doesn't like to toot his own horn, and let his acting skills to do the talking for him, and he doesn't gets rattled by critics; I learned that by watching a documentary on his life and he takes great pride in his work.

I love all his films and to me, and working with Todd Browning was the best decision is his life. In that same documentary Browning and Chaney became friends for life; even so they may disagree how the direction of the film should go they respected each other judgment and made it stick. These two know how to work together!

Lon Chaney is amazing!
charliechaplinfan

Re: Lon Chaney

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think Browning and Chaney pushed the envelope so to speak, they took horror dramas to the very edge of what the public would accept. Chaney was a fabulous actor, out of makeup in Tell it to the Marines his face was just as expressive. Most of his films haven't dated, films like Phantom of the Opera are just as fresh and have the same impact as they must have had all those years ago.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin