American Heritage suspends publication

Chit-chat, current events
CoffeeDan

American Heritage suspends publication

Post by CoffeeDan »

After more than 50 years American Heritage, the magazine that furnished not just the minds but, in its original hardcover format, the dens of generations of American history buffs, is suspending publication, its editor, Richard F. Snow, said last week.

The bimonthly magazine, which is owned by Forbes Inc., has been for sale since January, and in the absence of a buyer, Mr. Snow said, the publishers have decided to put the next issue, June-July, on indefinite hold. For at least the time being, however, American Heritage will continue to maintain a Web site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/arts/ ... ref=slogin

This really leaves a void in my life. Ever since I started reading American history, American Heritage has been there, stoking the fire of my interests. I've subscribed to AH since 1983, and in some of those years, went hungry to do it. The magazine did more than tell the history of this country -- it provided a landscape, added context, and really gave you The Big Picture with thousands of smaller pictures, making American history exciting and accessible for the thousands who read it.

I've read some of the best articles on the movies in the pages of AH, and I'm really going to miss it. *sigh* At least, I still have my back issues . . .
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How upsetting, Dan. The thoughtful, informative and often highly entertaining issues of this once hardcovered magazine were a fixture in my parent's household--I even have several copies somewhere still of some 1960s issues. I loved the then monthly arrival of each issue back then.

At least there's still a web presence for this publication and, as you most likely know, there's the niche publisher at History.net, which produces several smaller history-oriented magazines such as American History, Aviation History, British Heritage, Civil War Times, & Military History. These don't have quite the cache or distinguished contributors as American Heritage, but one hopes that they'll stay around for us history hounds. Btw, the American Heritage website can be accessed here. By jiminy, it's one of those moments when I wish I had a few spare million to snap up this treasure.