Jimmy (James) Stewart Westerns

mrsl

Jimmy (James) Stewart Westerns

Post by mrsl »

I did two searches for him and got a 'no match' response both times which is hard to understand but I think I got lucky yesterday and thought I would tell the rest of you.

You know about my romance with Walmart and their $5.00 rack where I have now completed collection if all of the John Wayne movies I wanted including She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers, Fort Apache, and so many more. I also have Rio Bravo, El Dorado, The . . . Liberty Valence, The Sons of Katie Elder, Chisum,etc. all wide screen editions, some even Directors cuts, with all the bells and bows included. Now I'm going to start on Jimmy Stewarts western with Budd baby. I started yesterday with a 4-in-one DVD containing Bend of the River, The Far Country, Night Passage, and the Rare Breed, two of which are in widescreen and the other two in full frame. By paying $7.00 a month, for the HDTV boost, most older films are still cleared up quite a bit so the full frame doesn't bother me too much. I miss some scenery I guess, but I still have the movie. I can't recall The Far Country, so that will be my first viewing. I know I must have seen it, but I don't remember anything about it. And the imdB paragraph is no help at all.

So, I check the $5.00 rack just about every 10 days or so, and they nearly always have new movies on. For the few that I have in full frame, I have the Directors cut for so many others, I don't really feel like I've missed anything. So if you're interested, check it out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Jimmy (James) Stewart Westerns

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

mrsl wrote:I can't recall The Far Country, so that will be my first viewing. I know I must have seen it, but I don't remember anything about it. And the imdB paragraph is no help at all.

My best advice is to watch it with a loaded cup of Joe, and that's not to infer that the film will put you to sleep. Brennan's character will explain all.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This sounds like a good collection Anne! I wish our Walmart had your selection. I can never find anything in their bins. I always get the feeling that some classic film buff has gotten there right before me and grabbed all the good stuff.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Bandolero" (1969?) is an enjoyable western with Stewart, Dean Martin, Raquel Welch, and George Kennedy. I saw it at a drive-in with "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" and really enjoyed it when I was a kid. Andrew V. McLaughlin directed it. It isn't profound, but it is enjoyable.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Bend of The River" would be in full frame but the other three should have been widescreen. I like "Night Passage" because of the casting of Stewart and Audie Murphy as brothers. Contrast in styles as well as in height.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The Far Country is my favorite of the Stewart-Mann collaborations, followed by The Man From Laramie, The Naked Spur, Thunder Bay, Bend of the River and Night Passage (I didn't care for The Glenn Miller Story, though I love the music). Hope you enjoy them all, Anne!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:"Bend of The River" would be in full frame but the other three should have been widescreen. I like "Night Passage" because of the casting of Stewart and Audie Murphy as brothers. Contrast in styles as well as in height.
I agree with you Chris ... regarding Bend of The River ...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've yet to branch into James Stewart's westerns apart from Liberty Valance and Destry, I like the Jimmy Stewart of Philadelphia Story, I'm prepared to take the Vertigo character, I'll have to steal myself for the Mann movies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I think Bend Of The River and The Far Country are Jimmy's 2 best westerns, but would also like to mention The Man From Laramie, Shenandoah and The Shootist.

I get annoyed when some comentators say Stewart last great film was in the late 50s, because Shenandoah is IMO a great western. Though in The Shootist it's just a small role, it was the last classic film IMO he was involved in

As an after thought, there's his pre war westerns Rose Marie and Destrey Rides Again
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like both of those Stuart. I think his scenes in The Shootist are fantastic. Though he doesn't have a huge role, he inhabits it fully. one sees a background for his character that shows he's seen a lot and doesn't waste time mincing words.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

At the end when Stewart's doctor is looking down on Duke Wayne's body, I almost get the impression, he's thinking he's dead, but I'm still here.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know, I got the same impression, Stuart.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Stewart is good in just about everything. He's my favorite actor. He fits the western format well. Determined and flinty, respectful of the environment. He's a civilized man in an unsettled country. I like "Laramie" and THE NAKED SPUR. He's by far the most interesting character in HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I was quite young when I saw FIRECREEK, but I liked it. I think the actor's comfort in this genre did more to solidify his legend than some people realize.

My favorite Stewart western is "Destry." Not typical of the genre, it's light, screwy, and empowers the female in ways few outdoor stories of its time did. But a western it is, and it's one of the great ones. "Wull, I had a friend..."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am coming back around to Stewart, after a year or so of backing off. I think I had seen too many of his movies over and over. Sometimes you need a break to appreciate even the greatest of our actors.

Destry is probably my favorite role too, Red. There's underlying steel in Tom Destry, despite his laid back, comical appearance. Stewart has an ability to give a line a deeper spin - something like Charles Boyer does - he can drop his voice and you get an altogether different impression of the person speaking than you might have had at first. Destry is certainly a deeper character than is first apparent. He has depth, I guess I'm trying to say.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I get annoyed when some comentators say Stewart last great film was in the late 50s, because Shenandoah is IMO a great western.
As is Liberty Valance (1962), but those same critics have never pulled the layers back on that particular film or looked beyond the surface so they tend to disregard the film and Stewart's performance.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese