ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Folks,

Have you heard of this HBO film which will air Saturday, October 20th at 9:00PM??

I hear a touch of Tippi in Sienna Miller's voice.

Just an F.Y.I.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am torn by this movie.... it does look good, but I hate seeing Hitch portrayed in such an unflattering way, even if it's true. In that last scene, Miller did sound like Hedren, and Alma looks spot on... of course, Imelda Staunton is why I would watch this movie.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I love my Hitchie baby. And it'll be a tough watch knowing he might've been a man who used his position as one of films' premiere directors, to control women; women who probably would not have ever considered him for an intimate relationship. As I've read here at the SSO, sometimes knowing too much is knowing...too much. But I'll give it a shot.

Yeeeikes!

Film IS a place where director and actor alike can use it as a psychological catharsis.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I'll be also watching the movie tomorrow night. One wonders what his daughter Pat thinks about all this about her daddy? Why did Tippi wait so long to spill the beans since Hitch has been gone 32 years?
Joseph Goodheart
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

it sounds like it's highly slanted for sensationalism and ratings. as frightening as it seems he was probably like most men with power; both intimidating and difficult yet could be a good husband and father. But hollywood---and many journalists---never credit audiences with the ability to accept two contradictory ideas at the same time even though it's a fact of human nature. i'm hoping the hopkins movie is a little more balanced and realistic.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

mongoII wrote:I'll be also watching the movie tomorrow night. One wonders what his daughter Pat thinks about all this about her daddy? Why did Tippi wait so long to spill the beans since Hitch has been gone 32 years?
I think she probably wanted to protect his image. But if she, Vera, Janet, Doris, Eva Marie and Kim were talking in the ladies' powder room of Radio City Music Hall...Oooh boy. I'm sure the blonde fur would fly!!!

...ANd I hear ya Miss G. I hear ya loud and clear.

Konway

Post by Konway »

If anyone is interested, then here is an interview with Hitchcock (hosted by Ingrid Bergman's daughter Pia Lindstrom and Film Archivist William Everson).
[youtube][/youtube]
First interview is hosted by Ingrid Bergman's daughter Pia Lindstrom. Second Interview is hosted by Film Archivist William Everson. Both are interesting. I like the second interview especially because William Everson loved Hitchcock's early films including No. 17, The Man Who Knew too Much, Young and Innocent, and The Lady Vanishes. We can see Everson's enthusiasm especially on Hitchcock's visual touches in No. 17. Hitchcock was happy about it and explained the storyboard to him. This is the same William Everson who tried hard to save several silent films from 1920s and several 1930s sound films from destruction.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

One of my favorite interviews. Amazing how much Pia looks like her mother.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Every time I see this interview, I just drool over the thought of Hitch directing a version of the Titanic....
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Hitchcock, starring Anthony Hopkins, looks promising, judging from the trailer. Anthony Hopkins is a great actor and always has a strong presence. From what I've seen in the trailer, his performance (and it appears to be a true performance, not just an imitation) is impressive, portraying Hitchcock in all his larger than life glory, yet as a human being as well. The movie itself looks like it will be dramatic, yet witty - just as Alfred Hitchcock's own movies were. Granted, the trailer doesn't show us all that much, but so far, I'm liking what I see.

The Girl, starring Toby Jones, doesn't looks as promising, or at least not to me. Toby Jones is a very good actor, but I just can't see him as Alfred Hitchcock. I've watched the trailer, and he just doesn't convince me at all. He seems more like Peter Lorre than Alfred Hitchcock. He just doesn't have that powerful presence. He seems too weak (for lack of a better term) somehow. The movie itself looks....well, it's hard to explain, but rather like something I doubt I'd like. I rather agree with CineMaven, and also with MissGoddess: true or not, the events of The Girl, and the way in which it seems to portray them, seem somehow unsavory, and likely sensationalistic.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

OBSESSION.

Not a good thing. It doesn’t serve either side of that warped coin any good. The title of this HBO original movie says it all; objectifies. Though it was an uncomfortable watch because of the subject at hand, I enjoyed “THE GIRL.” I didn’t find it exploitative or sensationalized at all, but an even-handed presentation of a man obsessed and a woman dealing with the obsession. I’m not too too familiar with Sienna Miller’s work ( scandal...yes ) but I thought she did a really good job of ( 1 ) playing Tippi Hedren ( many times I thought her vocals were spot on and ( 2 ) portraying an actress harassed by her director. She's not as classically beautiful as Hedren, but her emotions were in the right place. Kudoes to Toby Jones as well. Hitch might be easy to turn into caricature b’cuz his physical presence is so distinct, but I don't think Jones falls prey to that. He showed a man who was a bully...and had demons.

Hitch's reputation as a filmmaker is undeniable and firmly locked into forever. I have no reason to doubt Hedren's veracity. What would she have to gain with these revelations in this day and age. Many women have been harassed without speaking up about it ( can you imagine Carole Lombard being harassed? Ha! :oops: I heard she could redden the face of Merchant Marines. ) Fear of retribution or fear of not being believed probably left many others silent.

ImageImage

SPOILERS

I thought the movie did well on two fronts: referencing & recreating moments from "THE BIRDS" and "MARNIE" and showing the slow escalation of harassment and obsession. It had a sedate, even pace. I wasn't bored. Watching. There's already such a voyeuristic element to "watching" movies, movie stars; maybe we're all complicit? "The Girl" shows that Hitch's crew knew of his predilection but did nothing. Well...what could they do...without losing their job? I was surprised to see two female staffers actually suggest to Tippi to be a little "nicer" to Hitch. Yeeeikes! In an abusive family there's always one who takes "it" for the team: "be nice" "play along" "don't upset the applecart and spoil it for EVERYbody." ACK!! Poor Tippi, salacious limericks, belittling comments, the stares, unwanted advances and top of all that being new to movies and having to trust the very man that's taking advantage of his power.

The third leg of the triangle is Alma played by Imelda Staunton. Not a showy role but an important one in Hitch's life. I imagine the Hitchcocks had a very typical "power couple" marriage; creatively...supreme, but suffering bed death ( romantic turned platonic...an ugly way to die. ) Tippi pleads her case to Alma but she is like the "absent mother" turns a blind eye to Tippi's suffering. It couldn't have been very emotionally satisfying for Alma to be made to fee l like the third wheel in her marriage. But what did she do about it. What a trade-off. How many basketball wives or "Housewives of...The Rich and Famous" can relate. The crew trades off too with their silence. No one really speaks up in her behalf. Well, the D.P. tries to no avail. And his assistant Peggy does too. Tippi out and out asks Alma:
"You can stop this. You're the only one who can stop this with one word. Won't you? Alma, please."
And Alma walks away.

Why doesn't Tippi walk away? Who is using whom? Tippi gets all the benefits: fame, fortune, accolades. Hitch made it possible. He plucked her from modeling. Then again, it's the director's job as pseudo Father-figure ( Or Mother figure if it's Lupino or Arzner ) to support the actor, give them the tools to shine, let them go; do your best for your star who'll do their best for you and it's a win-win for everyone. I felt a little sorry for Hitch. He worked with some of the most beautiful women in Hollywood but alas, it was water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. He wanted her so badly, couldn't help himself. But no means No. He put her in danger with some scenes in "The Birds" especially the attic scene. In the end the film is a success. Hitch picks her to play "Marnie." I know why he picks her, but why does she accept. Working with Sean Connery is a plus.

TIPPI: "The Sean Connery that just got out of 'Dr. No'?"
HITCH: "You have a problem with that?"
TIPPI: "No. But Marnie's supposed to be frigid."
HITCH: "It's called ACTING, my dear."
TIPPI: "I'm going to have to give my best block of marble."
"Marnie" is still no picnic for her. Hitchcock is jealous of her new success. Galatea fights Pygmalion. Hedren finds inner strength to fight him; to challenge him. No means no.

Tippi to Hitchcock:
"You took a living breathing woman and you turned her into a statue."
Obsession. It's a bad business all around. Alfred Hitchcock is still my favorite director. He's just not my favorite person. But I still like him.

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Spot-on review, CineMaven! I watched the movie but didn't want to believe some of what I was seeing.
If true, I couldn't believe Hitch could be so cruel. Also surprised how much he liked the bubbly.
Bad boy, great director.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

what an intricate write up, Maven! I like you talking about watching WATCHING. Perhaps this film will be available at some point for some of us who don't get the cable station. If so, I'll have to gear up for it. save it for a rainy day when I am feeling strong enough for some discomfort.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I do hope you get to see this one day. And I don't think you'll need a rainy day. You're strong enough. As Tippi has said, Hitchcock ruined her career, but he didn't ruin her life. Always curious about your thoughts.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

We may never know the whole truth, so I prefer to focus on the movies he made, rather than the movies made about him. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... klash.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... s-all.html
-- Will Rogers