50s tv westerns aimed at kids

stuart.uk

50s tv westerns aimed at kids

Post by stuart.uk »

As a kid I grew up on 50s tv western repeats. I think it's fair to say before Gunsmoke and Wagon Train most of the films of the genre were aimed at kids.

Of coures there was The Lone Ranger, but it didn't look so convincing when it was rerun in the UK in the 80s, it looked like it was shot in someone's back garden. At the same time a UK shashbuckler from the 1950s also repeated was Conrad Phillips in William Tell, both shows were introduced by the William Tell Overture, which was slow down for the UK show.

In the UK it was called Champion The Wonder Horse (In reality Gene Autry's horse), where a free Stallion allows a kid called Ricky to ride him. In their adventure's when things got tough Ricky's Uncle Sandy and dog Rebel would come along and save the day.

The actor who played Uncle Sandy also featured in a small role in the tv series Casey Jones. It starred Alan Hale jnr as the famous engineer, who knew how to look after himself. He also had a wife and a son

I only saw Wild Bill Hickock briefly, but it was the first time I saw the talented underrated Guy Madison, who played U.S Marsahal Hickock. Andy Devine played his side-kick and fellow Marshal Jingles.

I know it was the 60s, but I wanted to add Bronco, which starred Ty Hardin to my list
RedRiver

Re: 50s tv westerns aimed at kids

Post by RedRiver »

I grew up watching that stuff too. Not to mention YANCY DERRINGER, KIT CARSON and CAPTAIN GALLANT. You're right. Most of the adventure shows targeted young boys. I haven't seen any of this in more than fifty years. I have virtually no recollection of it. But I can assure you, at four years old, credibility was the least of my concerns!

There was a THREE MUSKETEERS show of some kind. JIM BOWIE. SIR LANCELOT. You name it. TV had it. SIR FRANCIS DRAKE. THE BUCCANEERS, with Robert Shaw. I, also, watched WILLIAM TELL. Opening, of course, with the "apple on the head" scene!

These shows make Clint Walker's CHEYENNE look downright sophisticated!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember seeing reruns of William Tell when I was a kid in the seventies. That's literally the only one of the shows I've even heard of.

except of course for the Lone Ranger. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There was "The Cisco Kid" but I wasn't all that fond of it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

OOOOHHHHH, SEEESCO! OHHHHHH, PANCHO!

I loved the Cisco Kid! :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I watched that one! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Duncan Reynaldo was HOT!!! Even as a 5th grader, I could see his 'hotness'...and that was my introduction to the fabulous Leo Carillo. Don't know anything about the man, but the actor is a favorite. ooooooooh Seeeeesco........
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! I felt the same way, Nan! and I still absolutely love Leo Carrillo.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I met Reynaldo and Carillo when I was 8 or so. And even have an autographed picture of Reynaldo on his horse somewhere. Among Cisco, Hopalong and Roy, I'll go with Cisco. (But the Lone Ranger trumps them all. And, no, Knitty, let's not discuss the tightness of apparel or the mask. That would only take us to Zorro -- who really was the coolest. Black is flattering.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

aw, you're no fun...too many nights spent in a darkened theater watching darkened souls misbehave...