LONE STAR

mrsl

LONE STAR

Post by mrsl »

I am quite sure this was not the way that Texas was inducted into the Union, but who am I to say? Clark Gable is cool as a cowboy, and I also think he makes a great riverboat gambler. Ava Gardner out West helping to tame a city with a newspaper (?), I don't know. One thing I do know is Broderick Crawford is best when he plays the evil one. In Lone Star he's an old boyfriend of Ava's, who is still hoping to get to first base, but, please Brod, after she's seen Clark (???. . . ), wake up Buddy. Besides, the image of Crawford and Gardner as a couple is kind of humorous in the first place. But enough of my picking at small stuff, taken as a plain old western, this makes for a good movie. I don't think you should quote it as a basis for historical proof for a dissertation however. One thing I liked about this film is the clothing and hair. Sometimes they go to extremes with the ladies day dresses. Ava was a newspaper owner and was usually in a blouse and skirt which seems quite normal and appropriate. To put me into gales of laughter and falling off my chair giggles, I love the frontier women on ranches (poor ones, not the Barkley kind), who have perfect manicures. The other day I saw a movie with an Indian girl who had better looking nails than me.

I'm amazed at myself at how much I'm watching the movies I've DVR'd this week. I'm saving The Longest Day for tonight during the wee hours, to enjoy when all is silent and calm.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Re: LONE STAR

Post by RedRiver »

LONE STAR is an exciting, romantic, fun filled adventure! The first half is more interesting than the wrap-up. Yes, it's about as believable as, well, a Hollywood western! But for simple entertainment, saddle up and join the fracas. "I am Geronimo. I will be a great warrior one day."

Whenever this film is discussed, I feel compelled to tell my story. A friend of mine calls John Sayles' unrelated movie of the same title THE very best movie she's ever seen. Wow! Sayles' clever ensemble piece is wonderful. But...Wow!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Red River: Are you talking about the one with Chris Cooper in the lead? Is there another Lone Star I haven't heard about?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Red and Anne,

I love the John Sayles movie Lone Star! Chris Cooper is so good in that film and Kris Kristofferson is quite effective as well. It's a cracker jack story well-told, well-acted and well-directed.

One of my faves.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

John Sayles does the "various people interweaving a story" thing well. SUNSHINE STATE, CASA de los BABYS. The exceptional LONE STAR is the best example. With it's intriguing characters and complex, yet clear story, it's edge of the seat material.

My sincere apologies to Mrs. L, as this is NOT the subject of your interesting thread. I am Geronimo. I will be a leader of my people!