The Hard Man

stuart.uk

The Hard Man

Post by stuart.uk »

The Hard Man is an above average minor western starring Guy Madison, fresh from his stint as Wild Bill Hickock. The film's main bad guy is played by Lorne Greene just before he began playing Ben Cartright in Bonanza. So impressive was Madison, one wonders why he wasn't able to build on his performance in the classic post war film Till The End Of Time.

Spoiler

So hard was Madsion's character, he had to leave the Texas Rangers, he was to tough. He takes on the job of a deputy Sherif, who bullies the fastest draw in town, to scare him into going for his gun. He also was strong enough to resist the strong sexual advances of the main female character in the film, which was just as well because she was just as much a villian as Greene. The film is on you tube
RedRiver

Re: The Hard Man

Post by RedRiver »

I'd like to see this, simply because it provided work for the stars of TV westerns I loved as a child. I was little more than a toddler when I followed the adventures of Wild Bill Hickock and Jingles (Andy Devine). I thrilled to every gunshot!

The failure of handsome Guy Madison to become a lasting star is baffling. Hair out the wazoo. Enough talent to get by, if not win an Oscar. What happened?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The Hard Man is on you tube in full. I watched it last night!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote: The failure of handsome Guy Madison to become a lasting star is baffling. Hair out the wazoo. Enough talent to get by, if not win an Oscar. What happened?
I've a friend of mine who happened to be a Guy Madison Fan ... and he was some sort a rebel with "certain directors and producers" and made some enemies along the way that Guy would not submit to their "creative mode of things" ... I really do not know much about him because I don't consider myself a Western Fan at all. For what I heard from him that Guy was somewhat blacklisted in movies (meaning he was difficult to work with) and when he got into Television later on ... he was much, much, better because the fast pace of Television was easier for him to work in. This is all I know of ...

Hopes this help!