Best and Worst Lines in Movie History

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Re: Best and Worst Lines in Movie History

Post by mrsl »

BEST:

It's the closest thing to Heaven we have in New York. (Deb Kerr - An Affair to Remember)

WORST:

Mother Dear; do something, please do something (Little Mary all packed and ready to go to grandma's during the divorce process - The Women), 1939 - I've probably mis-quoted but my DVR is recording right now and I don't want to mess it up.
Last edited by mrsl on August 17th, 2012, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Everyone,

This movie line in Titanic starring DiCaprio and Winslet can qualify for both Best and Worst Lines in Movie History because it's can qualify for that. Many women friends thought it was great; many of the guys that I know thought it was too corny to listen to it.

"I'm the king of the world!"
JACK DAWSON (Leonardo DiCaprio) with young ROSE DEWITT BUKATER (Kate Winslet) in Titanic (1997)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Do you have a license for your monkey?" Inspector Clouseau. (It does sound better with a French accent.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

This might also qualify for the BEST and the WORST depending upon your opinion of the Duke:

"The hell I won't!" (Usually said right before he socks somebody.)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

betcha cant say that 3 times....fast.... :lol:
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

Best:

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make!" (Dracula)

Worst:

"I'm going to kill you all kinds of dead." (The Spirit)
Last edited by hbenthow on August 20th, 2012, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

My most favorite movie line of all time is also one I think would be a contender for one of the best ever movie lines in history (because I think when you take this line in context.. it has to be one of the most profound statements about human nature ever spoken on film).

Jamie from Empire of the Sun: People will do anything for a potato.

PS: Mr Movieman.. ha.. I LOVE that bit with Cyril and the Tiddlywinks from TQM.. too funny. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ImageI don't know from best and worst, but I'd like to share with you all some of MY FAVORITE LINES from classic films. The photos I’ve attached do not indicate exactly when in the movie these lines were spoken. These pix are just meant to evoke the film. Whether it was the way the line was read ( tenderness or ferocity ), or the scene the line played in or simply the words themselves...these lines resonate for me...and I literally wait to hear them spoken in these films. Image

These are my TOP ten favorites:

“With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”

( It’s simply the most devastating line I’ve ever heard in a motion picture. Where do you go from there? Oh, I know: the top of the Brooklyn Bridge...and then jump. )

“Don’t ask a dying man to lie his soul into hell.”

( The enormity of the crime she is about to commit to get a false confession... that would even affect the hereafter...is astounding. You go girl!!! )

“And get this. If anything happens to my sister...I’ll get you. Even if I have to crawl back from my grave to get you.”

( Again, from beyond the grave, revenge will seek you out. And if anyone can do it...it’s Bette! This diva will put you in the grave and then kill you. Don't try it buddy. You cannot escape those Bette Davis eyes. )

How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is, to have a thankless child:

“Get out Veda. Get your things out of this house right now before I throw them into the street and you with them. Get out before I kill you!”

( Veda has said some awful things to her Mom 'till Mildred can't stands no more; hence, one of my all-time favorite quotes. Watching the movie again, I replayed this scene several times over. I watched for Joan. I watched for Ann. There is not one false note, twitch or gesture between these two. Their eyes lock. It's on! It is truly chilling to watch the core relationship: Mother and Daughter...go to Hell in a handbasket. The squeaky wheel...is the hand that rocks the cradle.M is for the many things she gave me.” )

“You touch me and you won’t live till morning.”

( Ava’s feline. She doesn’t need a gun. She is a cat, a tiger, a leopard...lion... panther. I have no doubt she would have torn Albert Dekker to shreds. )

There is Vesuvius & Fuji, Krakatoa & Mt. St. Helens, Stromboli and Mt. Etna. But you ain’t seen a volcano until you’ve seen the volcanic eruption of IDA LUPINO:

“I commited murder to get you.”

( Somehow even THAT line doesn’t say it all. Click on Lupino’s photo to see the eviscerating tongue lashing - and not in a good way - that Lupino gives George Raft. Frankly, I don’t know why her rage didn’t melt the flesh off his bones. )

“Call her. He has dragged her back to ancient Egypt. Call her. Her love for you will bridge the centuries.”

( It didn't help that I spooked myself by seeing this at a Midnight show at The Egyptian during TCMFF'11. But this is one of the most romantic lines I’ve heard...even if it does come out of the mouth of crotchety old Edward Sloane. It really shows the true power of love. It can cross time...and without texting. )

“I don’t notice you shrinking away from a fifty dollar bill because it happens to smell of grease.”

( Oh Monty, Monty, Monty. You silly mongoose. You've been dissed! I think this is one of the great withering put-downs. But Monty's a Beragon of virtue and doesn't miss a beat. He STILL took the money...ha!! Gigolos, beware! Mama bear on the warpath! )

I LOVE this exchange:

CORA: “Don’t wipe it off Mr. Keats. You look stunning in my lipstick.”
KEATS: “This kind tastes good too. What flavor do you call it Frank?”
FRANK: “I can’t remember that far back.”
CORA: “As far as I’m concerned, you imagined it even then.”

( I love one-upsmanship in movies. And this is one of the best. Boys, beware of blondes in white turbans. )

Going off to war:

“Kiss me, Scarlett. Kiss me. Once.”

( The embrace, the close-up, hisonceis barely audible. It’s tender, gently pleading. It’s Gable! He’s asking for a kiss that he’ll live on forever. Is it hot in here, or is it just hot in here? Perhaps it is merely hot in heeere? )
Last edited by CineMaven on August 20th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Although I agree with all of your likes, I have to say that the last one with Gabel is definitely the best love scene ever photograohed for the silver screen.

Although I'm not crazy about Gabel, I must admit he did a smashing job of that kiss - - every voice inflection, every blink of his eye, even the muscle twitching in his cheek said volumes.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
hbenthow

Post by hbenthow »

CineMaven wrote:
Going off to war:

“Kiss me, Scarlett. Kiss me. Once.”

( The embrace, the close-up, hisonceis barely audible. It’s tender, gently pleading. It’s Gable! He’s asking for a kiss that he’ll live on forever. Is it hot in here, or is it just hot in here? Perhaps it is merely hot in heeere? )
Interestingly, Vivien Leigh said that she hated kissing Clark Gable, because he had horrible breath.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've heard that, but who cares? :D
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Matron Harper: "Come on, you tramps -- line up for christmas."

So bad it's good. From Caged.
moira finnie
Administrator