UPDATE ON THE BLACKLIST BACKSTORY...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

UPDATE ON THE BLACKLIST BACKSTORY...

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

SINCE KIRK DOUGLAS IS A VERY POPULAR GUEST AT THE LAST TWO TURNER CLASSIC FILM FESTIVALS, I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE THE APPROPRIATE FORUM FOR THIS NEW TOPIC.

FROM SALON.COM:

TUESDAY, AUG 7, 2012 01:20 PM CDT
Trumbo family: Kirk Douglas overstates blacklist role
"Spartacus" helped end the Hollywood blacklist. The actor takes too much credit, says the screenwriter's daughter
By Mitzi Trumbo

In 1947, my father, screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, appeared before the House Un-American Activities Committee in Washington, D.C. He, along with nine other writers, directors and producers, who became known as the Hollywood Ten, refused to answer questions about his political associations, and he was later convicted of contempt of Congress and served 10 months in a federal prison. We lived in Mexico City for two years, and following our return to Los Angeles in 1954, my father scrambled for work to support his family, writing screenplays under assumed names and behind fronts, for fees well below his pre-blacklist salaries. He hoped to find a way to use the black market to undermine the Hollywood blacklist, which had destroyed so many careers and lives. His goal was partially achieved in 1960 when his name, Dalton Trumbo, appeared on the screen for the first time in 13 years, on not one, but two films  – “Exodus” and “Spartacus.” For my father, the blacklist was over. But for countless others, it was not.

In Kirk Douglas’s new book, “I Am Spartacus!,” which has received much recent media attention, this small piece of history has been distorted. For years Douglas has claimed to have single-handedly broken the blacklist — he has accepted awards, written books and given speeches. Last December, in a letter to the New York Times, Douglas stated, “In 1959, when I broke the blacklist and gave Dalton Trumbo screen credit for writing ‘Spartacus,’ it was one of the proudest decisions of my life.” In his book, Douglas has not only inflated his role, but there are incidents that did not happen: For instance, my father did not have lunch with him at the Universal studio commissary, did not disguise himself to attend a screening, and Laurence Olivier did not have dinner at our house. He has also asserted a brand-new claim — that he, not my father, wrote the iconic “I am Spartacus” scene from the film.

The “Spartacus” back story is more complex than Douglas’ account. In 1959, Trumbo was under contract to Bryna, Douglas’ production company, writing “Lonely Are the Brave” (which would be released in 1962), using the name Sam Jackson. Producer Eddie Lewis, who had hired him, asked my father to switch his efforts to “Spartacus.” Lewis needed a swift revision of the script, and he knew that my father was fast and good. His hiring became an open secret in Hollywood when Anthony Mann, the director, brought Peter Ustinov to our house in Highland Park for consultations. After the “Spartacus” script had been completed, with many rewrites along the way, Otto Preminger came to Trumbo with another problematic script, “Exodus.” My father and Preminger spent all of December 1959, and much of January 1960, writing and conferring 12 hours each day, including Christmas. Preminger became a fixture at our house.

My father, of course, wanted screen credit on both these films. He had been laying the groundwork since 1957, when “Robert Rich,” one of his pseudonyms, won the Oscar for best screen story for “The Brave One.” When no Robert Rich could be found, my father leveraged the fiasco brilliantly, spreading the idea that the blacklist wasn’t working — that blacklisted writers were, indeed, writing films, and that perhaps all recent films of any merit had actually been written by blacklistees. In January 1959, both Trumbo and the King Brothers, the producers of “The Brave One,” announced that Trumbo had written the film. By then, anyone who read the trades knew that blacklisted writers had written “The Defiant Ones,” “Inherit the Wind,” “Bridge Over the River Kwai” and “Lawrence of Arabia.” The American Legion, the Motion Picture Association of America, the major studios, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences all became embroiled in the drama.

Ring Lardner Jr., one of the Hollywood Ten, said it well in a New York Times article from 1982:

A decisive factor in the ultimate collapse of that evil system was a campaign initiated and orchestrated by Dalton Trumbo that employed ridicule as a major means of demonstrating how unfair and contrary to American democratic principle the blacklist was. He saw to it the media were made aware of every contradiction in the process, especially every time an Oscar or some other distinction was awarded to a pseudonym, and when prominent movies were attributed to him, he refused to confirm or deny his authorship. Finally, even the executives who had instituted the blacklist came to see how foolish and disruptive it was.

In early 1960 it was clear that neither Douglas nor Lewis could guarantee my father a credit on “Spartacus”; it was a decision that had to be approved by Universal Studios, and the studio executives were extremely cautious. Otto Preminger, however, did not need the approval of his distributor, United Artists, to put the name Dalton Trumbo on “Exodus.” When Preminger announced that he was putting Trumbo’s name on the film, it was groundbreaking.

My brother Chris Trumbo described the sequence of events:

On Jan. 20, 1960, the New York Times carried the story that Otto Preminger had hired Dalton Trumbo to write the script for “Exodus,” and that he would start shooting in April. On August 8 of the same year Kirk Douglas announced in Variety that Trumbo had written the script for “Spartacus” … Both pictures opened in the winter of 1960. Finally, my father’s name was seen again on the American screen — without having cooperated with the Committee, without naming names, without recanting previously held beliefs.

Thirty years later, in 1991, the Writers Guild of America invited my mother, Cleo, to attend its annual awards dinner, where the Robert F. Meltzer Award was to be presented to Kirk Douglas for his role in Trumbo’s screen credit for “Spartacus.” Cleo wrote back: “It is important to remember that it was Otto Preminger who first announced that Dalton Trumbo’s name would appear on his film, “Exodus” … This observation is not meant to diminish Mr. Douglas’ actions, for what he did required courage, but merely to put them in perspective … It is rarely, and only after deep consideration, that I presume to speak for my husband, but I am certain, if he were still living, that he would think it unconscionable that Otto Preminger would be ignored and only Kirk Douglas honored by the Guild for his contribution in helping to destroy the blacklist. I am also certain that he would not attend a ceremony which sanctioned such a distortion of the actual events.” The award was presented to Mr. Douglas alone, as planned, and my mother did not attend.

(To see the original story on Salon.com, go to: http://www.salon.com/2012/08/07/trumbo_ ... list_role/ )

Years later, in 2002, in another attempt to bring the facts to light, my mother wrote to the Los Angeles Times:

While it took men of principle and courage like Preminger and Douglas to at long last defy the Hollywood studios, it is my unwavering conviction that it was primarily the efforts of blacklisted writers themselves that caused the blacklist to be broken. For more than 12 years these men and women continued to write without credit at a fraction of what they had earned before. For more than a decade they brought lawsuits, gave speeches, wrote articles, published pamphlets, and pleaded their cause on television and radio. By the time Trumbo’s name appeared on “Spartacus” and “Exodus” the ground had been well prepared by the ceaseless efforts of blacklisted writers.

In the preface to his play about our father, “Red White and Blacklisted,” my brother stated that Trumbo never claimed to have broken the blacklist. No one person did. “When Trumbo’s name appeared on the screen again with the release of ‘Exodus’ and ‘Spartacus’ in 1960, there were some who credited Trumbo with ‘breaking the blacklist,’ although he certainly never claimed to have done so, notwithstanding his decade-long dedication to destroying it. Others, producers Frank King and Kirk Douglas come to mind, claimed the distinction of breaking the blacklist. They didn’t break it, either. The demise of the blacklist was slow, like a giant balloon in a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade which has sprung a leak and finally collapsed. As in T. S. Eliot’s vision of the world, the blacklist ended not with a bang, but a whimper.”
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: UPDATE ON THE BLACKLIST BACKSTORY...

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, Kirk Douglas is trying to take more credit than is deserved for a change that many people--not just the star--precipitated? All I can say is something that his co-star Peter Ustinov (who was also an unsung contributor to the script of Spartacus) once observed:

"At the age of four with paper hats and wooden swords we're all Generals. Only some of us never grow out of it."

Perhaps this Salon article by Dalton Trumbo's daughter Mitzi will encourage others to look at the "foot soldiers" as well as the "commanders" in the ongoing struggle for freedom and tolerance in the aftermath of this tragic period in our history. If this dialogue stimulates people to see the complexity of history and the need for individuals to work toward inclusion, rather than just pointing out the flaws in others (or demonizing them because we disagree with them), then Douglas and Trumbo will have made another valuable contribution to civil discourse.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for posting this story! It makes things much more clear, and I think that it's fair to say that although Douglas certainly helped to nail the coffin shut on the blacklist, there were many others who also helped.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for this story Christy, it's interesting and puts a different spin on the events that Douglas lays claim to. I love the Peter Ustinov quote Moira, I've never heard it before but it sounds apt.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thanks, Allison. Moira, I also enjoyed that "Peter Principle" from Ustinov. And Jackie, you are right. There were many others.

Such a revelation from Trumbo's family is not necessarily a revelation if their position is one that they have maintained all along. It's just slipped from relative anonymity to the media platform so kids like me in Palookaville are finally allowed access to the facts, which have been buried for decades. Oh, Marshall McLuhan...the internet HAS connected your vision of the global village!

And such news has not altered my opinion of Kirk Douglas' participation as much as it has elevated my respect for Otto Preminger's contribution and Dalton Trumbo's own struggles, as well of those of his family.
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:And such news has not altered my opinion of Kirk Douglas' participation as much as it has elevated my respect for Otto Preminger's contribution and Dalton Trumbo's own struggles, as well of those of his family.
It's funny, but you made me pull out my copies of both Foster Hirsch and Chris Fujiwara's biographies of Otto Preminger, (both great reads, btw). In both books the information about Dalton Trumbo's credited work for the director was mentioned as significant, but when the director and UA announced that Trumbo had been hired to work on the Exodus script the press was not inflamed by this news, in large part because a.) it was already an open secret in Hollywood that blacklisted writers were contributing to scripts, b.) enough time had passed in American life for this to be regarded as "old news" and c.) by that time Preminger was becoming well known for his somewhat manipulative 'publicity stunt' news conferences for projects, which only reinforced the intellectual laziness of the naturally blasé Hollywood reporter pool.

Both books also mentioned that many of the blacklisted writers, including Trumbo, Albert Maltz, and Abraham Polonsky were represented by Otto's agent brother, Ingo Preminger. Polonsky is quoted as saying that "throughout the entire blacklist period [Otto] Preminger kept someone employed who was officially on the blacklist."

But Otto was not an actor (well, he was...but he hated acting, especially since his best known roles were Nazis). He did not live to be almost 100. Nor do audiences still have a great image of a youthful, athletic Douglas in their heads from older films, projecting that strangely wonderful, aggressive blend of chutzpah, talent and raw, needy charm that Kirk Douglas still reminds us of today.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I read this about 3-5 times already and I still don't quite understand all of this at all. Can anyone can simplify this for me?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Kingme, Kirk Douglas claims/does not refute that he was, in some ways, single-handedly responsible for breaking the Hollywood Blacklist of writers, actors, and directors in the 1950s when he had Dalton Trumbo publicly credited for the screenplay of Spartacus in 1960. He states so in at least one of his autobiographies.
moirafinnie wrote: It's funny, but you made me pull out my copies of both Foster Hirsch and Chris Fujiwara's biographies of Otto Preminger, (both great reads, btw).
And I am so glad you did! Thanks for this timely skullduggery and archival Moira material that I always relish.
moirafinnie wrote:the intellectual laziness of the naturally blasé Hollywood reporter pool.
Here, here!
moirafinnie wrote:Both books also mentioned that many of the blacklisted writers, including Trumbo, Albert Maltz, and Abraham Polonsky were represented by Otto's agent brother, Ingo Preminger. Polonsky is quoted as saying that "throughout the entire blacklist period [Otto] Preminger kept someone employed who was officially on the blacklist."

But Otto was not an actor (well, he was...but he hated acting, especially since his best known roles were Nazis). He did not live to be almost 100. Nor do audiences still have a great image of a youthful, athletic Douglas in their heads from older films, projecting that strangely wonderful, aggressive blend of chutzpah, talent and raw, needy charm that Kirk Douglas still reminds us of today.
And so Ingo Preminger was almost as responsible, if not more so, than Otto.

Kirk's chutzpah, and his willingness to self-propogandize, has never been much of a secret, in Hollywood, or otherwise. That's why I didn't feel particulary overwhelmed by the Trumbo family revelation, but was intrigued and interested in the other side of history not generally pandered about by the " intellectual laziness of the generally blase Hollywood reporters." :-)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I felt the same way, Sue Sue. It's not like they are saying Douglas had nothing to do with the breaking of the blacklist, just adjusting the history back to a more all encompassing view. I think that's a fair thing to do, and it did not strike me as a particularly strong slam against Douglas, just setting the record straight.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:

Kingme, Kirk Douglas claims/does not refute that he was, in some ways, single-handedly responsible for breaking the Hollywood Blacklist of writers, actors, and directors in the 1950s when he had Dalton Trumbo pubicly credited with credit for the screenplay of Spartacus in 1960. He states so in at least one of his autobiographies.

I read it and I got some sense out of it and still a bit confused ... but, I just don't have the time to read all these autobiographies to get the full picture here. But, thanks for the rundown here and using Moira's quotes. Thanks Christy!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since I've never been a big Kirk, or even Michael Douglas fan, I'll try to keep this as unbiased as possible. One of the main reasons I have hated when anyone pulls out an older person for interviews is they don't seem to insure that the older star is fully capable of answering questions completely and without embellishments. Has anyone noticed how in the past 10 years or so, Kirk has turned his comments to nearly 100% 'I, me', and very little 'we'. Shortly after his first stroke I noticed a definite increase in how he was the one who discovered this star, or wrote that dialog or scene, etc. The same holds true for Tony Curtis, Betty Hutton and others. In Betty's case, she seemed to feel as if she had been ill-treated by many of her co-stars, including the Annie Get your Gun crew. On the other hand, others exaggerated their importance to many of their working programs. I seem to recall Bette Davis had this same exalted impression of her worth, but I'm not carving that in stone. It would be nice though if the host would be sure the guest was in full capacity of their brain power. I'm talking about these wonderful stars of yesterday who are in their 90's today. Some are still sharp as tacks, like Jane powell and Ernie Borgnine, but I know from my own family that my Dad, and a couple of Aunts who at one time kept us all in rapture with stories of the trip across the ocean when they were children, in 1920, today in their 90's admit they cannot remember anything much about it. I myself have trouble recalling childhood adventures from only 50 years ago.

I'm only saying we should not expect our older stars to be as alert and sharp as they once were, and when, after 10 or 20 years of retirement, being brought back into the limelight for one night, you can't blame them for trying to make their memories as exciting as they can. I love the old guard and want to remember Mitchum grabbing MM off that piano in that saloon and carrying her over one shoulder and dumping her in the wagon next to Tommy Rettig and stating "We're going home!" That is happier than seeing him with Jane Russell and RO when he had his oxygen tank with him and looked like a ghost. That's all I'm saying.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Yes, Mrsl, I would rather remember Bob that way, too!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hadn't heard much about Kirk's book. I have to admit, I AM SPARTACUS is the perfect title. I would almost read it just for that!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This story confirms my preconceived image of Kirk Douglas as quite an ego, the other star I have the same preconceived notions about is Burt lancaster. Were they great buddies and rivals or did they both star in the noir genre and flourish from there. I have more respect for Burt without being able to back much of this up. Two talented guys though, I'd love to know they were different or that there was a softie in there somewhere.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

I don't think Burt was as vocal as Kirk, and he hadn't written an autobiography or two, as I recall. He seemed to be more private. But Shelley Winters revealed much more about Burt than I think he wanted discussed!