The September Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: The September Schedule for TCM

Post by JackFavell »

Something weird happened today. The Secret Fury which was supposed to star Claudette Colbert and Robert Ryan(?) was replaced with some British film starring Terry Moore??? I'm disappointed.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh, wow...i didn't even know about that. i can't remember if i ever saw the secret fury either. i'd MUCH rather have seen that one.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

wow, so the most happy fella was married to the most unwholy wife? makes sense. :D :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:wow, so the most happy fella was married to the most unwholy wife? makes sense. :D :D
:wink: :wink: :P

The Secret Fury is fun in a nightmarish "better her than me" way, but...
Okay, we all like and respect Robert Ryan, but who cast him opposite Claudette Colbert? She's great, good at comedy and drama, but gosh, even though the lady was only 6 years older than the fella, the two of them seem to belong to different generations and worlds, don't they? Some producers must have been off the beam. Hey, now that I think of it, maybe it was the same thinking that paired him with Hazel Shirley Booth. But About Mrs. Leslie has a lovely performance by both Shirl and Bob. FYI: If you have Netflix About Mrs. Leslie, a flawed but memorable little movie, is streaming online there.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I loved The Sid Saga, kingrat. I was awake, (thank you, 24-hour bug!!) so this fascinating slice of life was right up my alley. Mr. Laverents amateur movie-making engrossed me thoroughly with all sorts of events great and small being documented in family snap shots that had an unexpected eloquence. Sid lived a kind of quietly brave American Dream we rarely hear about--with equal parts optimism (despite everything), work, lifelong learning, financial ups and downs, the bumpy road of love, war, peace (of sorts since his postwar career was shaped by America's eternal readiness aka the military-industrial complex). At the end of the film, it was the ability of Sid and his last wife, Adelaide to cope and keep looking forward that I kept thinking about.

I have no idea if this played out with any impact on the big screen, but I would like to hear what others experienced when they saw this film. There's an interesting assessment about Sid Laverents' movie here at the UCLA Film & Television Archive. The only part of Sid's many documentaries that I could find online is the charming Multiple Sidosis (1970):
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well - BUMMER:

There I was with my BBQ'd chicken wings and diet coke and all settled in to watch "The Fallen Idol" with one of my favourite British actors, Ralph Richardson, and the credits come on - MGM (?) Robert Donat (I didn't know he was in this movie??) Rosalind Russell (huh?) and then "The Citadel"......

No "Fallen Idol" or even "Fallen Angel"!!!!!!! but Roz and Bob in a movie I saw once and couldn't care less if ever again. Love Roz and Bob but not this picture - BORING.......

So, I watched the news - all bad and rotten and nothing good to report....

Why can't Canada get with it and run these films??? Stupidity of the CRTC is why.... Dolts and dunces = idiots all......

Larry