Rio Grande

pvitari

Re: Rio Grande

Post by pvitari »

Batch 5

I love this shot of Claude Jarman, Jr. with the post children. He barely looks more than a couple of years older than the children and the way he's standing with them, it's as if Ford is saying he really is still one of them, despite his height and his uniform and the way he seems to be protecting them. He is still in transition.

----->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 6 (last one!) ;)

Finis.... though only for a bit! I will have a few extra goodies to post here when the screencaps are finally published on the Ben page. :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

pvitari,

:D ... A big thank you! ... For posting all these wonderful images ... it was like watch a movie in slow motion of which these wonderful screen caps captures the best moments of the Rio Grande film. It's a masterpiece of how well you put this altogether and I enjoyed it very, very much!

I'm definitely going to start again from the beginning (of this thread) to relieve the passion (all over again) of Rio Grande ... Starring John Wayne.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm not on my home computer, and can't copy and paste the picture, but in the top one on this page, where the children are grouped around Claude Jarman, has anyone else noticed the little guy on the lower left corner is Patrick Wayne?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My god, knitty, what an eye you've got! That's amazing. I only noticed how cute the little boys were...

Not to belabor the point, but gosh, Rio Grande is the most stunning movie! Those last batches are even more gorgeous than the others.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

And the little girl who plays Mary Margaret is Karolyn Grimes -- who also played Zuzu in It's a Wonderful Life. "Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings!"

That kid couldn't get away from bells, could she. :)

Another credit is the daughter in The Bishop's Wife.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms. Grimes lives"just down the road" from me in Paola, KS (Unless she's moved) She doesn't really grant interviews (and I would be rude enough to want to know about Jimmy and Ben, and Cary and Loretta and David and Monty)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

wonderful work, Paula, thank you so much for posting these lovely works of art!

p.s. there is an interview with Carolyn Grimes floating somewhere on the internet that I read a few years ago. she had lovely things to say of Grant.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

FINALLY... all the Rio Grande screencaps -- 5,281 of them -- are now up at the Ben Johnson website, in the "John Ford Films" section. http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

The little essay I wrote is late night, "I GOT to get something posted!" ramblings but I hope at least some of it is comprehensible. Shutterfly is not helping either as I had a lot of trouble uploading the screencaps, though I finally found a work-around that let me do it.

Here are a few extra screencaps, from the "Making of Rio Grande" featurette on the DVD. I don't know what happened to the videotape they used when interviewing Ben, it looks like it's been dipped in day-glo paint!

Michael Wayne

Fingerpointing!

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Super job, Paula, as always, and thanks for sharing caps from the documentary. You got quite good quality images from it.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh I love that one of Ford clasping his hands together! And of course Ben fingerpointing...not to mention Harry Carey, Jr....
tinker

Post by tinker »

Thank you Paula for the screencaps. They are beautiful.

One thing you can see in the cap with Ford and John Wayne is in the background, standing alone watching and no-one paying attention to him, Wayne certainly did not play the star needing an entourage or make a fussof the crew being near him.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)