Rio Grande

pvitari

Rio Grande

Post by pvitari »

I looked for a thread on Rio Grande and couldn't find one, so I'm starting one. If this is a duplicate thread, I don't feel too bad about it, because in perusing the Westerns board, I found double or even sometimes triple threads on various titles and actors. ;)

I am working on screencaps from Rio Grande -- the whole durn movie. The more I watch it, the more I admire it for its simple complexity, if that makes any sense. Or complex simplicity. Take your pick. :) What I mean to say is, it is a profound film but crafted with the lightest of touches and with the most wonderful comedy -- not a wasted shot, not a moment that's wrong. It's almost deceptive. One might not realize how great it truly is until watching it a second or third or fourth time. And like any John Ford film, the visuals are most marvelously "painterly," with sublime interplay of light and shadow. I am especially taken with Col. York's tent with the shadows of the trees swaying back and forth on the canvas. And, of course, those soulful close-ups. When I think of John Wayne, the word "soulful" indeed comes to mind.

Here are several batches of screencaps from approximately the first 20 minutes.

pvitari

Re: Rio Grande

Post by pvitari »

Batch 2.

Fingerpointing!

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 3

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 4

I cannot tell you how much I love that tubby little guy in the middle. What a character! Anyone know his name?

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 5

Well, that's it for now. I'll have more... eventually.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey Paula, SPECTACULAR caps! Thanks so much for posting them! I've been waiting for some really good ones since I capped a bunch of it from a TCM copy years ago that were all blurry and faded.

I think Rio Grande is my favorite LOOKING Ford film. It's just beautiful, I agree. One of my favorites in it that you haven't yet posted is the My Gal is Purple dusk scene, with Wayne's closeup as he walks from the river up towards the camera.

I have always loved Dobie's introduction - the scene where he takes off his cap for a second, I have an identical screencap of the one you posted with that fresh faced smile and Ben looking sideways at him.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Great caps,Paula. This is, I confess, my favorite of the trilogy. Dobie was such a young pup in this one, wasn't he? Again, thanks!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Sorry, JackFavell, I've got a ways to go before I get to the Wayne by the river scene... hang in there. Glad you like the screencaps. I'm now wrestling into shape the initial scenes between Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I could look at her sublime face all day long. ;)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Paula, Incredible Display of Screencaps from one of John Wayne's Enduring Films ... I loved it!
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Paula:

Like everyone else, all I can say is how great the photo caps look. Also, how young all of the guys look, I think this is the film that the Duke felt he was too young for that particular part, or am I thinking of Yellow Ribbon?

Great Job!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

if one movie ever made me wish i had a blu-ray player, it is this one. it's always been my favorite, too, of the "trilogy". and you've posted the clearest frames i've yet seen of the roman riding, thank you so much! i can't wait for the river scene, too, as there is one particular shot i have as my desktop wallpaper on my PC, though of course it's kind of blurry. i'm hoping i'll get a good one here from you to replace it. :D
The more I watch it, the more I admire it for its simple complexity, if that makes any sense. Or complex simplicity. Take your pick. :) What I mean to say is, it is a profound film but crafted with the lightest of touches and with the most wonderful comedy -- not a wasted shot, not a moment that's wrong. It's almost deceptive. One might not realize how great it truly is until watching it a second or third or fourth time.

you've brilliantly summed up my whole reason for loving ford's films.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sometimes I wish "Yellow Ribbon" had been in black and white, giving the trio a more uniform look. But who's complaining?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have never ever wished for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon to be in black and white... in fact, er, the mind boggles.:)

However, here is some more black and white, a whole bunch of pictures from approximately the second 20 minutes of Rio Grande.

Batch 1.

----->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 2.

----->

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch 3.

----->