HEAD's up tonight -- on TCM Underground

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

John M and Mr Arkadin,

Good morning gentlemen. You sure do have a knack for making a guy feel even older than he is! I did get the chance to see the Beatles in Philly in '64 when they played at Municipal Stadium (later renamed JFK Stadium if you recall John) and it was much like the film you see from the Shea Stadium shows in NYC but the seating capacity was 102,000 so it didn't look or fell quite as confined plus it was only a two tiered stadium in a horseshoe shape similar to the LA Coliseum. I went with my next door neighbor and her mom who provided the transportation and acted as chaperone, after all I was only 12 at the time. As I remember, and the memory has faded to a degree, the girls were screaming and crying and the guys were just trying to hear the music, no mean feat. I think they opened with "She Loves You" and then went into "I Want to Hold Your Hand." I wonder what the ticket stubs or original poster artwork would be worth had I hung onto them? I'm only glad I can't say I saw Elvis during his Sun Records era!

Thanks for the memories!

Hollis

p.s. John, I'm a little surprised to hear you say that you don't care if you ever hear another Beatles tune. There are some that are just plain hauntingly good. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a prime example along with "Yesterday" which only happens to be the most recorded song ever written. By anyone, at any time. And how prophetic that John Lennon should write "Happiness Is a Warm Gun." Eerie in a way. You're right Mt Arkadin, you can definitely hear the influence of the Beatles on the King's X song ""It's Love." The voice is in fact reminiscent of John Lennon especially the way he sounded recording "Sun King." Are they known as "King's X" or as "King's Ten?" Thanks for the hookup.
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

movieman1957 wrote:Sugarpuss:

I heard even The Monkees couldn't stand "33 1/3." Retroplex showed it recently, not in widescreen so I've seen a little of it recently. I'll be watching it all soon.

Anybody:

If you're a fan (closet or not) which is your favorite album?
Brace yourself for 33 1/3. It's not in widescreen, since it was made for tv. And I'm not sure which version they're showing, but I know there are multiple versions out there where the sequences are all mixed up. Honestly, it doesn't matter at all, because it's just bad.

From the other "Head" thread (hey, that rhymes!): like you, I'm partial to the Nez songs as well. His songs were just better, whether he wrote them or just sang them, they were just better than the other guys (Davy's were just *too* sweet for my tastes). My all time favorite song is "Love is Only Sleeping", followed by "The Door into Summer", "Sunny Girlfriend", "Tapoica Tundra" and "Sweet Young Thing." His solo stuff from the 70's is pretty great--the early 70's is very country, but the later half veers towards rock.

Album-wise:

--Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones (I LOVE this album. Even the Davy song is listenable.)
--Headquarters
--The Monkees Present (released in 1969, right before Mike left)
--Head

The rest of their albums are really hit or miss: some good songs and some tossaways. The old "Listen to the Band" boxset is fantastic for a greatest hits type package. The only album I've never heard is "Changes" which is just Micky and Davy.
Hollis wrote:
Has a finer album ever been released?"
"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill". Please shoot me now. That and "Revolution 9" are the two songs that keep me from really enjoying The White Album.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Sugarpuss,

I will give you that one. "Revolution #9" does take a bit of getting used to, but it has to be viewed (listened to) in the context of the times. There may indeed have been the occasional use of illicit substances during its' production. That might help explain it. But "Bungalow Bill" is more than listenable, if that is in fact a word, but I'll also give you that it too is far from a mainstream song. I still think it may be as fine a studio album as has ever been released. Put it right up there with "Led Zeppelin" (the first) and Santana's first and 2nd ("Abraxas.") It says something when almost every song on an album still enjoys air play after all these years.

Hollis
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mr. Ark - Thanks for that link to Kings X - hugely enjoyable. Never heard 'em before! Your music links are always outstanding!!

Hollis and John - Always great to hear recollections about 60s music from those who were there. As for the Beatles, I too vote for the WHITE ALBUM as personal fave, although I always felt that if RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER had somehow morphed into one LP it would have been their finest. I never saw them in person and really never had a desire to attend a concert of theirs given the screaming and the chaos that generally went along with it. I did, however, manage to see The Stones when they came to Detroit in the summer of '64. They were still a year away from "Satisfaction" and hadn't really developed a substantial fan base yet in the States. But a very hip friend who was a couple years older than me dragged me along with some of his pals. There couldn't have been more than 200 people in a venue (Cobo Hall) that probably accommodated at least TEN times that number! But what a great show it was! At that time their big hits was "Tell Me" and "Time Is On My Side" and they're still my favorite songs of theirs.

The only other significant concert I attended from that period was when Bob Dylan came to Detroit in October '65 (Cobo Hall again, only this time it was packed!) Dylan was now riding high with his new electric sound (BRINGIN IT ALL BACK HOME and HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED had both been released earlier in the year) and his show was unbelievably exciting. "Like A Rolling Stone" dominated the charts all that summer and by the time he came to town "Positively 4th Street" was all over the radio. That show was, without a doubt, my most memorable 60s musical moment. His next LP, the double disc BLONDE ON BLONDE still ranks in my personal top three rock ablums of that decade (along with PET SOUNDS and THE WHITE ALBUM). And maybe of all time.

John, it's funny you should mention Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66's version of "Fool On The Hill" -- they're one of my favorite pop groups of the period and their versions of "Norweigan Wood" and "Day Tripper" really cook, too!

Hollis and John, I won't belabor the point by insisting you give The Monkees' HEAD another chance. Sugarpuss and Ben (thanks, too, Ben, for that tres cool Davy Jones link!! -- Don't get me going on Nilsson!), I think it's up us to do our best to preserve the dignity of The Monkees. At least here at The Oasis.
-Best to you all -- Dewey
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I watched A Hard Day's Night on a double bill with For Those Who Think Young and had to sit through it twice to actually get to hear the music. I felt it was worth it, and I'm still (and will always be) a Beatles fan. (Born in '51.) 8)

For Those Who Think Young was maybe one of the last "beach" movies. One could form a lot of trivia questions from this movie. The cast had a lot of interesting connections to TV and classic movies. :!:

Much of the appeal of the Beatles music is the nostalgia factor. Many of the songs take me back to major events in my "days of discovery" - if you know what I mean. :wink:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

John - I do admire your intentions!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

sugarpuss wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:
Brace yourself for 33 1/3. It's not in widescreen, since it was made for tv. And I'm not sure which version they're showing, but I know there are multiple versions out there where the sequences are all mixed up. Honestly, it doesn't matter at all, because it's just bad.

Album-wise:

--Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones (I LOVE this album. Even the Davy song is listenable.)
--Headquarters
--The Monkees Present (released in 1969, right before Mike left)
--Head

Hollis wrote:
Has a finer album ever been released?"
"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill". Please shoot me now. That and "Revolution 9" are the two songs that keep me from really enjoying The White Album.
I expressed myself badly. I knew "33 1/3" was TV. I actually meant "Head" when I spoke of Retroplex. Sorry about that.

I'm with you on the albums up until No. 3. I've never heard "Present." My No. 3 is "Instant Replay" which is the one after Peter left but before Mike. A couple of songs aren't all that good but overall I enjoy it.

Your comment about "The White Album" rings true as well. I don't even consider "Revolution 9" a song. Nobody wanted it on the album but John got his way.

I'll take "Revolver" and "Abbey Road" as favorite Beatles albums. Are we going to get "Help" on DVD?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Here you go:

I don't think it comes with a can of red paint though. :wink:

Death to he who wears the ring!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for the link. As one reviewer wrote it does seem odd a picture from two years later would be used on the box.

I can say no more! (P. McCartney)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

[quote="movieman1957]I expressed myself badly. I knew "33 1/3" was TV. I actually meant "Head" when I spoke of Retroplex. Sorry about that.

I'm with you on the albums up until No. 3. I've never heard "Present." My No. 3 is "Instant Replay" which is the one after Peter left but before Mike. A couple of songs aren't all that good but overall I enjoy it.[/quote]

"Present" is the really good Monkees album that no one's really heard about. Each Monkee was supposed to get their own album side, but since they were the equilivant of box-office poison to the music industry by this time, it was whittled down to 4 tracks apiece. It's a very good late 60's album though--the reissue had a sublime version of Mike's "Calico Girlfriend Samba" as well. It's not in print to buy anymore, but if you have iTunes, it's available there.

I forgot about "Instant Replay"! The first time I heard "Shorty Blackwell" I was completely freaked out. I was a little kid and that was not the Monkees sound I was used to! I've heard it's about Mickey's cat, but there's a few lines on there that are supposedly digs at Mike as well.

I really wish someone would re-release "Help!" I love that movie. "Magical Mystery Tour" as well--it's not a great story, but I love the "videos" for "I Am the Walrus" and "Hello Goodbye", especially the latter during the "Hey-la, hey-hey-lo-a" part. I like when bands act goofy. It's very endearing to see.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since I have absolutely no idea who or what any of you are talking about, I can at least
contest one statement that was made. I did not, ever, like the Beetles. As previously
stated, I was a C&W fan from my pre-teens. When I ventured into R&R, it was Avalon,
Fabian, Rydell, (all those Philly boys), and the older standards of Sinatra and Martin.

In later years, my 40's and 50's, I DID become aware of SOME of John Lennons lyrics,
and do give him credit for some beauts, like Imagine. The Beetles, as a group
were never for me, I stayed loyal to the American singers and groups like Gary Puckett
and the Union Gap, and all those English would-be Beetles like the Monkees
never fazed me. I will say this though, there is nobody who can play rock guitar like
Duane Eddy did, especially his Rabble Rouser!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne wrote: "I will say this though, there is nobody who can play rock guitar like Duane Eddy did, especially his Rabble Rouser!"

Anne, were you ever a fan of guitar wizard LINK WRAY? Back in the late 50s and early 60s he scored with tracks like "Rumble," "Deuces Wild," and "Raw Hide." Now THAT cat could rock!