Soon to be playing- Our own MoiraFinnie

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Soon to be playing- Our own MoiraFinnie

Post by Lzcutter »

You were absolutely terrific, Moira!!!

So cool, so sophisticated and so knowledgeable!!!

No one would ever know that you were nervous!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Agreed!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I love how Gabin was so secure in himself and his character that he wasn't afraid to be seen with a woman who is taller than he is! No wonder Marlene chased all over a war-ravaged Europe looking for him.
Much to his embarrassment when he was riding in a tank with thousands of others watching Marlene run over to him.
Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Perfect fashion colors! The Queen of TCM Technicolor!!!
If you mean the colors worn on camera, I think a pair of media-savvy dames from Texas and California had something to do with that.
Sue Sue Applegate wrote:That was one of those movies that makes me nostalgic when it's over.
Probably 'cause it's more fun to visit than live in that world, huh?
Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Any more Jean Gabin selections to suggest?
Well, there are the pre-war and the post-war ones. Most of the pre-war movies are very well known, though I really like the movies he made when he was older too. Aside from Grisbi....there are several I've never seen, though I am trying to catch as many as possible. Thanks to TCM I saw several of the other movies he made in the '50s and the rarely shown Remorques from the early '40s, which was very haunting.

La Grande Illusion (1938)
Pépé le Moko (1937)
Gueule d'amour (1937)
La Grande Illusion (1938)
La Bête Humaine (1938)
Le quai des brumes (1938)
Le jour se lève (1939)
Remorques (1941)

Le Plaisir (1952)
Their Last Night (1953)
French Can Can (1954)
Les gens sans importance (1956)
Les Misérables (1958)
and several others, such as Maigret (wish I could find more of Gabin's '60s movies with decent subtitles)

One very enjoyable late entry in a way--esp. if you like to see Alain Delon on-screen (and who doesn't?)--the American-European financed The Sicilian Clan (1969). I swear Gabin never opened his mouth in this movie. He glared at that upstart Delon for about 124 minutes.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, I absolutely loved you and the movie and cannot tell you how many erotic moments there were for me with earthy sexy lion Jean Gabin in this terrific and cool movie. I was also thinking the same thing about the Nazi occupation of France in regard to how the characters viewed their loyalty to each other as opposed to society.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thanks, Moira. I have seen Grand Illusion, and Pepe Le Moko, but many moons ago. More for the bucket list.
Jean Gabin is just so sexy!!

And I think the titian-coloured mane had a bit to do with the Technicolor extravaganza!
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Moira,

Well, I am pissed!!!
We here in Calgary didn't get to see your movie; but were replaced by Gene Kelly - so I didn't get to see you - BUMMERRRRRrrr......
I was looking forward all day and even bought some gooey tarts (3) to go with my diet coke - and then "The Cross of Lorraine" came on. I used the 'F' and 'S' words out loud...
I wish this country would get with it and stop blocking what we want to see.

Has anybody recorded our Moira and her introduction? Please kindly post it here, so pauvre moi can view it; thank you et merci beaucoup!!!

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:And I think the titian-coloured mane had a bit to do with the Technicolor extravaganza!
Yeah, and thanks to that great lighting, you couldn't see the gray ones shot through the mop!
Vecchiolarry wrote:Has anybody recorded our Moira and her introduction? Please kindly post it here, so pauvre moi can view it; thank you et merci beaucoup!!!
Oh, Larry, I am sorry, but thanks--though I am feeling as though obscurity sure has its virtues this morning. :D TCM kindly sent me a DVD of the Morlocks' appearances with Robert Osborne. I will see if they might be posting it online or if I can get permission to post it.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

We could also mention a latter day entry (1966), where Gabin appeared with George Raft (both playing aging gangsters). The American title is THE UPPER HAND. Kind of a hard film to find.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

I stayed up long enough to see you after the movie. It sure made me smile. I wanted to wake up The Bride and tell her "There's Moira" but those segments are too short. It was grand to see you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, you were a shoe-in. Looking vibrant in your striking red hair, you were cool, calm and collected.
You handled Robert's questions with ease and I liked the way you pronounced the title of the movie.
Unfortunately my eyes didn't stay open to watch all of it. Next time.
Congratulations on a job well done. It was nice to see you sitting there with Mr. Osborne. I remember it well.
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

I awoke this morning and realized it all wasn't a dream. Moira was chatting with Robert Osborne, she was regaling us with facts about Touchez Pas Au Grisbi, and the film was the wonderful dream with Jean Gabin! Thank you, Moira! And thank you, TCM, for finally bringing us Moira in all her lovely splendor! :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Congratulations Moira, I'm so happy so many people saw it, I do hope TCM will let you share the recording here, so many of us would like to see it. Such a good choice of film too. Has anyone mentioned Two Men in Town or Deux Homme Dans La Ville with Alain Delon and Jean Gabin, Gabin is an educator in this one, he helps men get parole and helps them stay on the straight and narrow, it's a good film, a great performance from both men and has a very memorable ending. Why does Gabin remind me so much of Spencer Tracy, I think in part it's later roles like this one and one or two of the earlier roles, they have great similarities as actors to me but also diverge at one or two points too. I have never seen a Jean Gabin performance I didn't like and I've watched him act in french with no subtitles and no knowledge of the language and still I've stayed with the movie. It would be very hard to pick a favourite Gabin movie though, there are too many good ones.

I have a decent copy of The Cross of Lorraine, a fine film and quite an eye opener for me a long time Gene Kelly fan who hadn't seen him handle straight drama before, this movie along with Marjorie Morningstar and Inherit the Wind show he was more than a fine dancer.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira,

You were simply wonderful. I wish I could get my hair to look as good as yours does! You were so poised when RO asked you about your family and how you became a classic movie fan. You were as usual, brilliant, while all the time appearing relaxed and confident. The great thing was how you seemed right at home there on set, discussing Gabin and the film. I felt you could have gone on for much longer, had they just given you more time, and it was so interesting. Did you picture RO in his underwear to calm your nerves? No wait, that would make you even more nervous. :D Anyway, you were fabulous!

Grisbi SPOILERS

I loved what you had to say about the quietness of the film, it was my first time seeing it. To me, it seemed like a film that is always moving, but it has this still center that is Gabin. He's sort of in stasis, is that a word? His character is at a standstill. He commands your attention, like Tracy, by doing the most unexpected thing you can think of, even if that means he does nothing, or is looking down. He seems only just to have realized his mistakes in the last month or so and there is a sort of disquieting but resigned feeling that he must now live with the consequences, because he's just plain tired. Plus, he can't change now, even if he wanted to. He's left having to carry Riton, who is almost not even a friend anymore, a stupid man. He takes care of him more out of habit than of genuine feeling. And isn't it funny, those gold ingots, so weighty in their heavy cases, going up in a puff of smoke like they were nothing at all. Only blood sweat and tears, not to mention human life. I'm just glad he was able to keep Pierrot alive to get back to Madame Bouche... (yes! I see Panama totally, Sue Sue!)

I could not take my eyes off of Jeanne Moreau. It's funny, I saw her name in the credits, but I was absolutely sure she was in a bit role. So as I watched Josy, I said to myself, "She just draws the camera to her! I wonder who she is? I'm going to have to look her up after the movie." Duh. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I loved the ending. It came up too quick for my liking but it was perfect. The blankness of losing the money in one fell swoop, then Riton didn't even make it. Tell me something, Moira... what do you think of the title? It sounds simplistic, but I felt like it was a warning, not just to Angelo, but it came around to Max himself. His whole life pretty much went up in flames because of a simple twist of fate... or a friendship which he knew was almost completely one sided. It's so fatalistic.

I'd love to know where the term "GRISBI" originated.

Thanks for programming it, and also, thanks for blogging again! It's so great to see you writing!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, again for your generous comments, gang.
JackFavell wrote:Did you picture RO in his underwear to calm your nerves?

I was very interested in Grisbi's theme of time passing and the sorting out of what is of value. It didn't hit you over the head with those observations. Thanks to Becker's abilities to keep a story moving it never seemed ponderous--especially with that explosive ending and remunerative ending. Nothing was going to faze Max too much, and he kept his regrets to himself. A model for our times, I suppose! If you like this movie, you might like to check out other Jacques Becker movies as well as Gabin movies.

That Gabin-Delon film Two Men in Town sounds good, based on your description and the trailer I found on youtube for it. It kills me that there are so many Gabin movies out there without English subtitles or even releases on DVD, but maybe that is changing? When listening to the films in French I can usually understand Gabin without the subtitles in almost all of his movie, but the rest of the characters are not as readily decipherable for me. I keep trying to watch some without the subtitles hoping that it will help my French, but I can read it, but not always understand it well.

I would recommend Casque d'Or which is available on DVD as well as Le Trou as two of Jacques Becker's must-see movies.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Congratulations Moira for your class act. You looked very elegant and you exposed very articulately your points of view and you chose a film that Robert Osborne had not seen! Way to go girl!