The November Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

The November Schedule for TCM

Post by CineMaven »

Wow is it November already? 2012 is about ready to close. Another year gone...but TCM always makes time pass by so nicely. Here is their schedule for November:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

I’m sure there’s a slew of films everyone wants to see ( again. ) What do you guys want to see? I’ve got to slosh through some favorites and bide my time until the Morlocks come to town. THE MORLOCKS ARE COMING!!! THE MORLOCKS ARE COMING!!! which I can’t wait to see. But until that time comes, I have to make do with some of these films. Well, they say patience is a virtue.

TCM throws a nod to one of my favorite actresses on November 4th:

CAPUCINE.

Among the days and films I'm looking forward to are:

NOV. 3rd - MON.

MERLE OBERON

One of the most unusually beautiful women in Hollywood, she hasn’t had the “A” list career of Crawford, Stanwyck, Hepburn and my other ‘go to’ girls; but Oberon ensures her place in cinema history with the towering “Wuthering Heights.” I’m glad she’s being spotlighted and shown some love by TCM.

NOV. 4th - SUN.

“STAGEDOOR”

This movie is the perfect barometer to see who your real friends are and if their sense of humor is in tact.

Kate, Ginger, Lucy, Eve, Gail and a good supporting cast sharpen their tongues and lash, slash and gash in this great ensemble movie.

NOV. 5th - MON.

VIVIEN LEIGH

TCM honors Vivling on her 99th birthday. Among her chameleon appearances on the 5th, she’s a mistress, a ballerina, a delusional Southern Belle and a cougar this day.

She’s got the prettiest smile and the most expressive eyes in Movies. In fact she can do more with her eyes, than some actresses can do with their whole body. You can see her go from ingenue to older woman in the slew of films TCM airs for Leigh’s birthday. Even at the end, ( "...Mrs. Stone" ) she’s still got it. She is intense.

NOV. 8th - SUN.

“NETWORK”

Paddy Chayefsky looked into his crystal ball and said, "I'm mad as Hell...and I'm gonna WRITE about it!!" What he came up with, was this prescious prescient gem.

What looked far-fetched back then, is NOW a reality of television and corporations. It is a black comedy and the more serious they play it...the funnier it is. My favorite scene is during the Black Revolutionaries’ meeting going over their contracts. When the Big Black Kahuna Grand Pubah shoots off his gun, I fell off my chair. ( And so did some of the characters sitting in the scene; one is on the floor...papers, flying. ) Watch this movie! That’s an order!!

NOV. 9th - SUN.

Naaaaawwww, not that Hedley...

It’s the other Lamarr; ...the drop dead gorgeous, jaw droppingly beautiful one. Her looks often overwhelm her talent. But I think she pulled out a couple of good performances in her career, “H.M. Pulham, Esq.” for one.

NOV. 12th - SUN.

“LOLITA”

EEeeeew!! It’s always been a discomforting watch for me, ever since I was teenager. ( “Go away you creepy old man!” )

TCM aired this movie a few scant months ago. I haven't seen it in its entirety in forever! So I watched just a little bit. Then a little bit more. Next thing I knew, I watched the whole thing. What the haaaaaay...Once again another movie creeped up on me and changed. ( ;-) ) This movie is really a very black comedy. Now a little bit of Peter Sellers does go a long way for me. But that notwithstanding, the cross-purpose of motives between James Mason and Shelley Winters ( poor Shell...on the losing end of love once again :( ) is sadly hilarious. And Sue Lyon does a helluva job. I think the actress was fourteen at the time. Don't think little Lolita doesn't know what she's doing. Oh Humbert Humbert...you silly goose. Can't you see she's got you wrapped around her like a hoola hoop? The scene where the cot is delivered into the hotel room cracks me up. That was the last thing he wanted. The screenplay walks a razor thin line between comedy and tragedy. I cut myself laughing.

Creme de la Grace.

She didn’t make a lot of movies, but what she made was cherce. Spend the morning with Grace Kelly, especially with “Mogambo” and “Dial M for Murder.” She glistens like a diamond.

NOV. 14th - WED.

"...But lord help the sister, who comes between me and my man."

The theme this morning is sisters. And probably not a one of them look like they share the same gene pool. I’m lovin’ Margaret Lindsay in “Fog Over Frisco” (with her "Jezebel" co-star" ) but my big focus will be with that big league blonde with the distinctive voice.

“BORN TO KILL”

He’s Just Not That Into You. She gets herself into a little noir trouble, falling for rough trade Lawrence Tierney. He looks like he was born in a trench coat, fedora...and a gun in your back. Yeah, he’s got a couple of screws loose. All sorts of drama ensues. It’s put together nicely. And Esther Howard is outstanding as the old lady. "Tall In The Saddle" actress, Audrey Long is in it too.

NOV. 18th - SUN.

“HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT”

Children of the night. What great chemistry they ( Boyer and Jean Arthur ) make.

And what a romantic tale Borzage wraps around them. They meet cute, but it goes much deeper...and more sinister. For you Colin Clive fans...well, he takes the cake. If you haven’t seen it, you ought to. I didn't want to see it at first, but I did. And now...I want to see it again. I want to wrap my mind around Borzage. And I want to wrap Borzage around my heart.

NOV. 20th - TUES.

“JULES et JIM” / “BONJOUR TRISTESSE”

Ahhh the French. More specifically, French girls. They sure know how to live, don't they? We American & British girls could take a lesson from them. See, I think we would be content to choose one from a menage-a-Tom, Dick and Harry or Peter, Paul and Mary or Spanky, Alfafa or Wheezer. But not the French. You doubt this? Why look at Jeanne Moreau:

Not only does she have two men in “Jules and Jim”; she could simultaneously juggle a Belmondo, Trintignant, Montand, Delon, Aumont, Gabin, Boyer, Chevalier, Jourdan and they’d all be happy. ( I'm not suggesting she made movies with all these guys...I was just trying to think of every French actor I know, off the top of my head. )

ImageImage

The French Riviera...where a young girl’s Oedipal fancy lightly turns to deadly mischief. I like this movie, the stars ( Seberg, Niven & Kerr ) I like seeing the Beautiful People. Lalalalalala...Champagne, STAT! BRILLIANT!

NOV. 21st - WED.

Yes, Rita was sensual with her swing and sway, and Cyd was elegance & grace; yes Ann was athletic and could spin like ZZ Top! But for my money...there was no dancer like Eleanor Powell.

She had a million-watt smile ( always kind of reminds me of Irene Dunne ) and she could do anything, dance any style in gowns or tux. Powell twirls and spins and taps in the early part of Wednesday in a couple of Broadway Melodies, on gigantic soundstages. What Esther could do with water, and Sonja could do with ice... Eleanor could do on a black lacquered dance floor with competence and flair. My money's on the Terpsichorean talent of Eleanor Powell. I love to watch her dance.

“GONE WITH THE WIND”

Simply a masterpiece of filmmaking. It really is just enough to watch the machinations of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, the most perfect casting of leads I’ve seen. They’re stunning and they give one of the two or three best performances of their career. It’s a sweeping epic, covering lots of territory. But you can really boil it down to just these mere two people:

ImageImage

But I've got to tell you Miss Katie Scarlett O’Hara, there’s headstrong...and then there’s downright crazy! I declare you gave Cap'n Butler a hard way to go. I swear on a stack of DVDs...I don’t know HOW our mothers and grandmothers slept peacefully after seeing a Gable film. ((Sigh! )) And how do YOU sleep?

NOV. 23rd - SUN.

HITCHCOCK

ImageImage

Yeth, Mathter.

No doubt Vera Miles, Eva Marie Saint, Joan Fontaine, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman and the mighty Roman ( Ruth ) could each tell us a different story about the Master of Suspense. But there are those films he's left us with...

Yeah yeah, we've ALL seen 'em ALL before. But I'll betcha there's one of them today where you'll discover something you hadn't noticed before: "Strangers On A Train" "The Wrong Man" "North by Northwest" "Suspicion" and "Dial M for Murder." Watch "Under Capricorn" at your own risk. ( Yikes! Okay...alright...I know some of you like it. :oops: )

NOV. 25th - SUN.

“THE WOMEN”

The sheen, the polish, the timing. Man oh man...what a way to end the thirties! Estrogen Power!!

ImageImage

Here is where you give your friend one...last...chance. If he or she does not laugh at the high-tone shenanigans of this M-G-M classic with its all - star cast...there is no hope. I say dump ‘em!!

“THE MORTAL STORM”

Okay, if I have to take my medecine ( Margaret Sullavan ) like a big girl, what better way to wash it down but with Frank Borzage.

I’m going to really give this a serious shot. No distractions. No computer on. Just Maggie and Jimmy and Robert. My friend Bob promised me I would like her...but was it for this film?

NOV. 26th - MON.

“THE NARROW MARGIN”

See...now we’re talkin’! Try to get a witness to trial. On a train. Where the killers are after you. And there's no where to go. Taut. Tense. And then there is...Marie.

NOV. 28th - WED.

GLORIA GRAHAME

Oh the days of waxing on with some of the boys at TCM City ( Molo and Grimesy and Lafitte ) extolling the tarnished virtues of Glo-lo. But alas and alack I am in the here and now, and if you don't know Gloria...now's your chance! I can't teach you everything. Here:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TCM is showing the glorious Gloria Grahame in all her incarnations in seven movies: "BLONDE FEVER" "CROSSFIRE" "MERTON OF THE MOVIES" "ROUGHSHOD" ( which stars another blonde worth watching: Claude Jarman Jr...Oh, and Myrna Dell ), "A WOMAN'S SECRET" ( where I may test out how strong my new-found love for Melvyn Douglas is ) "MACAO" ( the only time a guy's attention might be pulled from Jane Russell, but then there's always rough, rugged and burly Robert Mitchum to feast on ) and "THE BIG HEAT" where my avatar comes from. Most of these films might be variations of her "...heart of gold" persona.

What? Uhmmm...no "IN A LONELY PLACE" TCM? I would've switched out "Merton..." for Gloria with Bogie. But that's okay I guess. We wouldn't want anyone o.d.'ing on Glo-lo. And if you can wait until sometime in 2013, I have a "MovieCHAT" episode where we discuss "In A Lonely Place." One point up for discussion in that episode: "Could Gloria be a Hitchcock Blonde."

Did I hear you say you wanted to see a two-minute sneak preview? Well your wish is my command...here: "MovieCHAT."

What will you enjoy about November?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Re: The November Schedule for TCM

Post by ChiO »

A few others of special interest from the first half of the month:

Nov. 3 -- The Stranger on the Third Floor (Boris Ingster 1940) – Now generally cited as the first film noir. I tend to disagree, but it probably is the first American film noir of the Classic Age of film noir (see me split that hair?). A newspaperman gets a guy convicted for murder based on circumstantial evidence. His subsequent doubts and nightmares send him chasing after another murderer. With Peter Lorre, John McGuire & Elisha Cook, Jr.

Nov. 7 -- The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1954) - An under-appreciated Luis Bunuel film (probably because it's in English and, therefore, must not be Arty Bunuel) that TCM seems to be showing with some regularity.

Nov. 8 -- Breathless (1959) - Sorry...Belmondo, not Gere. Did someone mention Jean Seberg? Godard returns the film noir favor.

Nov. 8 -- Diner (1982) - I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Barry Levinson's first movie. A March 2012 article in Vanity Fair said it is the most influential movie of the '80s. Never argue with Vanity Fair.

Nov. 10 -- The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Now this is Comedy! The Luis Bunuel film that I find easiest to watch repeatedly.

Nov. 12 -- Phantom Raiders (1940) - No great shakes, except...this is Jacques Tourneur at the start of his U.S. career (this is his third U.S. feature). Two years later...Cat People.

Nov. 14 -- Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich 1955) - The French love it, I love it, and Mickey Spillane hated it.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Another Great Month in Turner Classic Movies ... Great Lineup of Stars!
Thanks CineMaven for starting us on the right foot!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And Moira on the 30th.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Some great movie choices in November on TCM topped off by our very own Moira. You're all so lucky.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Alison...I'm sure some kind American soul here at the Oasis will create and send you a DVD of the Morlocks' nite of programming.

[u][color=#0040FF]ChiO[/color][/u] wrote:A few others of special interest from the first half of the month:

Nov. 3 -- The Stranger on the Third Floor (Boris Ingster 1940) – Now generally cited as the first film noir. I tend to disagree, but it probably is the first American film noir of the Classic Age of film noir (see me split that hair?). A newspaperman gets a guy convicted for murder based on circumstantial evidence. His subsequent doubts and nightmares send him chasing after another murderer. With Peter Lorre, John McGuire & Elisha Cook, Jr.
ChiO, what would you cite as the first film noir? No splitting hairs...tell me what you would put first.
Nov. 7 -- The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1954) - An under-appreciated Luis Bunuel film (probably because it's in English and, therefore, must not be Arty Bunuel)...
THAT made me laugh out loud!!!
Nov. 8 -- Breathless (1959) - Sorry...Belmondo, not Gere. Did someone mention Jean Seberg? Godard returns the film noir favor.
Aaahhhh Belmondo. Belmondo. Belmondo.
Nov. 10 -- The Exterminating Angel (1962) - Now this is Comedy! The Luis Bunuel film that I find easiest to watch repeatedly.
I'll have to give this a chance. When I took my Film classes in college, the first Bunuel I saw was "Viridiana." That scared me off Bunuel for life. Should I go back to him?
Nov. 14 -- Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich 1955) - The French love it, I love it, and Mickey Spillane hated it.
The Meek(er) shall inherit the earth. I thought of him as James Bond in this film. And the apocalyptic ending was devastating.

Thank you Kingme.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

So excited about November! Capucine, a good Luis Bunuel , Hedley, Glo-Glo, and our own lovely, dimpled red-haired girl....MOIRA!

NOVEMBER 30!

Can't wait to see your next MovieChat, Theresa. Looks delightful!

Paddy Chayefsky---The Hospital is good, too, but Network is the masterpiece!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Burn Witch Burn (1962) Nov. 10
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Cinemaven kindly asked:
ChiO, what would you cite as the first film noir? No splitting hairs...tell me what you would put first.
I have no idea. UNDERWORLD (Josef von Sternberg 1927)? That's the earliest film listed in Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style (Silver & Ward). But I'm convinced that film noir existed, as a descriptive term for certain movies, prior to 1940. James Naremore points out in More Than Night: Film Noir in Its Contexts that French critics of the late-'30s used the term to describe various French movies of the '30s, including PEPE LE MOKO (Julien Duvivier 1936). So while I'm willing to concede that Ingster directed the first film noir (and a fine one it is) of America's great period of film noir, that does not make it the first film noir.
Cinemaven gently asked:
I'll have to give this a chance. When I took my Film classes in college, the first Bunuel I saw was "Viridiana." That scared me off Bunuel for life. Should I go back to him?
Absolutivilly! I find it hilarious in that perverse surrealistic way. Besides, seeing it provides context for the funniest exchange (I think) in MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I never thought of Pepe Le Moko as noir before, but it completely works! Gueule d'Amour struck me very much as noir.

Thanks for the rundown of November movies, guys!

Maven, you are such a tease... you've got me waiting on tenterhooks for that installment of Moviechat. (what are tenterhooks anyway?) And I'm so glad you mentioned GG's day, I HAVE to get a copy of Roughshod (with all those blondes) this time around.

I'm dying to see Tourneur's Phantom Raiders, I never would have noticed this on the schedule, s thanks for that. There are a few other Tourneur's showing that day. Any thoughts on Easy Living?

I'll second Death of a Scoundrel, what a great, amazingly fun, dark movie! You simply can't go wrong with George Sanders, doing what he does best. Make sure you catch the opening credits which I find hilarious in that same perverse way ChiO does Bunuel.

I've been dying to see some Vigo, he's been on my 'to see' list forever. Anybody have any thoughts on him, to get me warmed up for L'Atalante? I don't think I've ever seen a discussion of him here.

Not too crazy about Breathless, but there are worse things than devoting several hours to the great Jean Seberg.

If they are showing Diner on the 8th, I really wish they'd take that next step and show Avalon on Thanksgiving. These two Barry Levinson films show how the funny can be all mixed up with the tragic - leading to two very different, but very good movies.

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm looking forward to Pandora's Box on Sunday the 5th, and The Age of Innocence (1934) on the 6th, starring Irene Dunne. Pandora's Box boasts not just the fascinating Louise Brooks, but also a fine performance by Francis Lederer.

Cornered, on Saturday the 10th, is a nifty little noirish thriller with an emotional Dick Powell facing off against Walter Slezak, trying to find the man who killed his wife.

Sunday the 18th has an interesting lineup late in the evening. Dreyer's Master of the House at midnight, followed by the German version of Anna Christie, and two Ramon Novarro films after that - Daybreak and Son of India, both directed by Jacques Feyder.

Joseph Calleia will have a chance to shine this month. In Tough Guy, he plays a gangster (surprise!) redeemed by his rescue of wealthy kidnap victim Jackie Cooper and his dog, Rin Tin Tin. Calleia is excellent in this programmer. Later on, the ubiquitous Jungle Book will air again. How can you go wrong with the Kordas and Sabu? Calleia has a juicy double role and is supported well by John Qualen.

Thursday morning the 25th has two really good western films, 1925's The Vanishing American, with Richard Dix in a surprisingly modern take on Native American/white relations, and The Last Hunt with Robert Taylor as a viciously racist buffalo hunter. Not for the squeamish. Taylor is extremely good in a role that has him as a villain for a change.

I guess my favorite thing about this month is the fact that Constance Bennett is SOTM! Every Tuesday, Connie will be flaunting her smarts, showing off her figure, and co starring with some fine leading men - at her best with Joel McCrea, Cary Grant and Gilbert Roland. After Office Hours has Connie as a society newswoman hot on the trail of Clark Gable. I've never seen it and I can't wait!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

JF asked:
Any thoughts on Easy Living?
As one who loves all things Tourneur, I'll just say you should see because it is Tourneur, but don't expect anything at the level of CAT PEOPLE, OUT OF THE PAST, STARS IN MY CROWN or (for me) even THE FEARMAKERS (which I like a lot, but many don't, and I wouldn't put it in his top tier). In fact, of his 1942-58 movies, EASY LIVING would be near the bottom for me (and Tourneur was displeased with it, too). It does have worthwhile moments, but the script just doesn't engage me. It's great that TCM is showing two of his lesser and lesser-known movies, but I hope that first time Tourneur viewers don't take these as representative.
JF further asked:
I've been dying to see some Vigo, he's been on my 'to see' list forever. Anybody have any thoughts on him, to get me warmed up for L'Atalante?
Let's see...some words that come to mind: Masterpiece. Brilliant. Best French film ever made (maybe not, but close enough for government work).

For goodness sake, Truffaut even loved Vigo, ranking him with Renoir and Gance in terms of importance to French cinema. Godard dedicated a film to him. It is tough to think of a movie that combined realism (poetic or not) and surrealism any better than L'ATALANTE.

Yeah, Vigo is pretty good. I suggest watching.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Let's see...some words that come to mind: Masterpiece. Brilliant. Best French film ever made (maybe not, but close enough for government work).

For goodness sake, Truffaut even loved Vigo, ranking him with Renoir and Gance in terms of importance to French cinema. Godard dedicated a film to him. It is tough to think of a movie that combined realism (poetic or not) and surrealism any better than L'ATALANTE.
Yay! That's what I wanted to hear. I'm so excited!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Do watch Vigo, his work is excellent, I love L'Atalante, a fabulous work.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I almost bought Criterion's Vigo set, sight unseen, on sale, but chickened out of spending the money. I probably should have gone for it.