The December 2012 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ChiO

Re: The December 2012 Schedule for TCM

Post by ChiO »

Immediately followed by a wonderful Charles Burnett triple-feature (well, actually one feature and two shorts), starting with the incredible KILLER OF SHEEP.

And Wednesday morning brings us WRITTEN ON THE WIND and the great lovers-on-the-run romances, THEY LIVE BY NIGHT and GUN CRAZY.

Thursday night gives us DAYS OF HEAVEN.

They're all readily available, but well-worth recording. I, too, am looking forward to LA PROMESSE, which I haven't seen.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I just finished watching this excellent documentary, kingrat.

Thanks for mentioning it here. I've read Diana Serra Cary's book on child stars and it is heart-rending and made me angry at the thoughtlessness of people. Baby Peggy: The Elephant in the Room, should be required viewing for any parent to see before putting their kid on the stage or screen. The note of triumph that you mentioned is quite real thanks to the change in legislation prompted by Paul Peterson as a child actor advocate, but especially since Ms. Cary seems to have been so insightful into her own situation at such an early age that she was able to figure out a way out of that eternal dilemma in what was called her "sick little family." That term was used by one of the several people who were victimized by this setup--Louise, Peggy's older sister, whose life seems truly tragic since no one ever seems to have believed she had any intrinsic value as a person since she wasn't an actress.

Just a horrendous story, and incredible that the step-grandfather and grandmother who stole millions from their own family could apparently get away with it. I have Capt. January (1924) recorded, but it will be a few days before I can watch this after that doc. She was a darling little girl. Too bad no one spoke up for her more.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/5543 ... ginal.html

The link above will take you to the TCM Media Room where you can view the TCM Holiday promo!

It's quite fun!

The song is Now is the Time by the band, A Fine Frenzy.

Enjoy!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Watching They Live By Night and Gun Crazy again today, what really got to me was the sound of each movie.

They Live By Night has what is possibly the sweetest musical score ever to be used in a crime drama or noir film. Based on the song, "I Know Where I'm Going", Keechie and Bowie's bittersweet romance is underscored by some of the loveliest accompaniment to ever grace a film. Ray really knows when to bring in the score, and when to leave a scene bare. The scenes with the "grownups" - Chicamaw, T-Dub, Mobley, and the minister are all starkly quiet. Only when Keechie and Bowie are alone does the theme come in. The one exception is in Mattie's second scene, When Bowie asks her for a pen in which to write his farewell note to Keechie.

An undercurrent of the film, outside of the initial love story, but one that makes it even more tender, is the way that adults lie to themselves in order to live with what they have had to do or what they have become. Every character, outside of the two lovers, deludes themselves into thinking that they are right in betraying someone for money or power, or even for love. From Mobley, Keechie's drunken father, to the preacher man, who tells the kids he's taking their money in order to "give the people what they want", to Chicamaw, who tries to kill Bowie because he's jealous, all these poor people delude themselves that they matter most in the world, so it's OK to betray, to take, to hurt, or even to kill. This to me is what gives the movie its depth, the incredible heartfelt acting of all the performers, ambiguous and changeable, well its still a top notch, emotional film no matter how many times I see it. Every monster has his reasons, and in this film we are asked by Ray to look deep into our hearts and feel sorry for these people, they never had a chance, any of them.

In Gun Crazy this time, I was drawn to the sounds - the click of a gun, the flick of a match, the crying of a little boy who has just shot a baby animal. The center of the film, the robbery from the car especially, has a strange feeling, as if the whole thing were ad libbed right at that moment, it's almost like the Blair Witch Project stole from this movie. Annie Laurie talking to herself as the cop refuses to leave the front of the bank. We know he's just a friendly guy, joking around, but the fear aroused in us watching him is enormous.When Annie knocks him senseless, it's a release, and though we are glad he wasn't hurt badly, we are also glad that Annie and Bart get away. The sound of sirens follows these two wherever they go. At the end it's the rustling of leaves, the wind in the rushes, the unearthly quiet, and then again, the sounds of dogs on the trail. It gives the film the smell of fear, an animalistic feel, as if we are the hunted.

John Dall is just marvelous, the more I watch, the better he gets. His scene with his chikldhood buddies when his sister has been locked in the garage, has some really fine acting, he just blows everyone else away. And of course Peggy Cummins is incredible as the wild, emotionally stunted Annie Laurie Starr, who strikes out in hatred but finds love with Bart at the end. Dall is so protective, and Annie needs protection, mostly from herself, it moves me so.

I know where I'm going
And I know who's going with me
I know who I love
And the dear knows who I'll marry.

I have stockings of silk
Shoes of bright green leather
Combs to buckle my hair
And a ring for every finger.

Some say he's poor
But I say he's bonnie
The fairest of them all
My handsome winsome Johnny.

Feather beds are soft
And painted rooms are bonny
But I would leave them all
To go with my love Johnny.

I know where I'm going
And I know who's going with me
I know who I love
But the dear knows who I'll marry.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Tomorrow night, Friday the 7th of December, TCM will be showing the 1921 Loves of Pharoah, a recently found and restored Ernst Lubitsch film. This is the third of Lubitsch's historical epics, full of spectacle, starring German actor Emil Jannings. The director would travel to Hollywood in order to promote this film, and liked what he saw, though he was not received warmly here. By 1922, he would make the move to the U.S. and start work, at the request of Mary Pickford who wanted him to direct her next picture, Rosita.

[youtube][/youtube]

This will be the first time this 'lost' movie has been seen on TV, available finally after 80 years, so get your recorders ready.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm glad you had a chance to see this particular Private Screenings, Kingrat.

Dickie Moore's book Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (But Don't Have Sex or Take the Car) is an impressive semi-biography as well as an honest account of what life was like during and after life in the spotlight for a generation of young actors. This book and Growing Up on the Set: Interviews with 39 Former Child Actors of Classic Film and Television by Tom & Jim Goldrup are two of the best accounts I've come across on this subject, avoiding the pitfalls of maudlin or hyped-up tales of "the good old days." Sad, funny, and puzzling accounts of casual and hard-won success, and the kindness and cruelty experienced by children in this environment is so compelling.

Does anyone know if a Podcast of this Private Screenings program with the Child Stars is available on the TCM site or youtube? The unedited nature of the podcasts often makes them fascinating listening. Thanks in advance for any guidance on this matter.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

LOVES OF PHAROAH looks exciting. Besides Emil Jannings we also have Paul `The Golem` Weggener.

RE: PRIVATE SCREENINGS: CHILD STARS. Excellent program. My only regret is that the show did not include Jackie Cooper. Then again, after reading his autobiography, he would have been a whole show in itself.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#4040BF]JackFavell[/color] wrote:Watching They Live By Night and Gun Crazy again today, what really got to me was the sound of each movie...
Wow...you've artfully and poignantly made the case for why movies should be seen, heard...and listened to. The intangible tangibility of sound.

Poor sweet misguided lovers...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was looking at the cast of Loves of Pharoah too, WG, and I saw Wagener's name...so it's a historic film for a couple of reasons. iIt also has Albert Bassermann and Mady Christians in it.

I am really excited about this premiere! I hope it's good, I wasn't thrilled with his epic Anna Boleyn, but so far that's been the only Lubitsch film I haven't liked.

P.S. Maven, I love those two movies, thanks for responding to my little musing.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Jackie, I was able to meet Peggy Cummins, and she is a delightfully lovely lady who currently lives in England. She is so sweet, and so amazed at how Gun Crazy has such a following. Eddie Muller just adored her, and sat and chatted with us while she discussed how she enjoyed being a part of the TCMFF 2012. Cummins attended the final evening gala and chatted, posed for photos, and had such a luminous smile that we all were charmed.

Alexa Foreman(TCM Archivist), the lovely Peggy Cummins, and Darcy Hettrich (Vice President of Talent Coordination)

To enjoy her interview with Eddie Muller, follow this link: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/about/video-gallery.php

A link to one of my photo essays about Gun Crazy here at the SSO: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... &start=195
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh thanks for those links and the photo, Sue Sue! One of your photo essays? How did I miss these?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Whoops! I guess I didn't miss it, I just went back and looked and there I am, telling you how great it was. I love having a mind like a sieve. Everything seems brand new! :D