George Sanders - Dear Boy in Exile

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

George Sanders - Dear Boy in Exile

Post by JackFavell »

"Where on the screen I am invariably a sonofabitch, in life I am a dear, dear boy."

- George Sanders

"George Sanders had a great capacity for understanding in-between values, being an in-between person himself."

- Douglas Sirk

He played a god named Indifference.

For most classic film fans, this describes George Sanders to a T. But over time, watching many of his films, I find that there is an entirely different George Sanders. I'll call him The Dear Boy. This is the George I wait for, in movie after movie. Only given full screen time in three or maybe four movies throughout a career spanning over a hundred... Dear Boy is soft, perhaps even weak. He isn't always nice, in fact, he's sometimes very naughty. But he's vulnerable, oh so vulnerable. He masks the vulnerability with wit, ascerbic and poisonous, or with possessions, the love of money, or simply with introverted attention to work. In just 4, well, maybe 5 movies, he's allowed to show himself, naked and scared. But that emotion, the need, it leaks out unexpectedly, even when he's playing that most cunning of critics, Addison De Witt, or the vile Lord Henry Wotton in The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Sanders was born in Russia, one source says of British parents, another says they were Russian with pretentions at British nobility. In 1917, they escaped Russia, and ended up in Great Britain. Many biographers and friends of Sanders made much of his Russian, 'dark' side, but I think maybe his being an exile explains his "broken identity," and his "haughtiness and blasé attitude hiding the rootlessness of the personality." - quote from Douglas Sirk again, see Dan Callahan's great article at Bright Lights Film Journal here:

http://brightlightsfilm.com/61/61georgesanders.php

My favorite performances are all the ones where Dear Boy gets to shine.

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry - George is completely invested in such a different character here. He's shy, a milquetoast, soft, weak and scared to go against tradition. If you think Sanders only knew how to play one role, well watch this movie. I am quite sure he wanted to be a good actor, despite what he pretended. Harry is so torn up, he wants love, but is so afraid he'll make a wrong decision. He simply can't bring himself to stand up for what he wants, he's trapped within himself. George's finest work, as far as I am concerned. Make sure and watch when it's on. The film had five endings, and the studio picked the weakest one, causing producer Joan Harrison to leave and start a long and productive career with Alfred Hitchcock.
This Land Is Mine - Heartbreaking. Another great tragic performance, very underplayed, filled with terror and remorse. Guilt eats away at him for something he's done, the payback for collaboration. George is brilliant and incredibly sad.
Death of a Scoundrel - Oh, my, I just love my Georgie in this one. It's a perfect little movie. He's got a mysterious background, he bilks rich women out of their money, but in the end, he just wants forgiveness, and his mommy.
Voyage to Italy - This movie was absolutely awful for George, he hated every minute of it. Rossellini kept him off balance. But his performance is exceptional. He breaks apart as the movie continues, revealing fear and loneliness, and most of all helplessness.
Summer Storm - Oh this one brings his beautiful Russian background to the fore. He can't help himself, and of course, I love George best when he's tortured and wracked by guilt and shame.

All About Eve - well this one just has to be on a plane by itself. Sometime check out the teary eyed 'indifferent' cad, accepting his academy award.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - there's something pathetic about Miles Fairley, something sad and lost.
The Moon and Sixpence - this one has grown and grown on me with each viewing. His character has more depth each time I watch it. Yes, he's a cad. But those scenes on the island are beautifully done and very touching.
Scandal in Paris - he's rather sweet in this one, and has just the right amount of disillusion and charm.
The Light Touch - I saw the end of this film just recently and he had well...such a light touch. Hope to see the rest soon.
Ivanhoe - there's something incredibly sad about Brian de Bois Guilbert
Rebecca - my favorite scene, well it isn't the great one where he pops up in the window to Joan Fontaine's chagrin, and it isn't the great one where he devours Max and Mrs. II's lunch. It's actually the scene at the doctor's office. He's bad, but he's not so bad as to not have feelings finding out about Rebecca's real state of health.
Foreign Correspondent - Oh, Ffolliott, if only Joel McCrea weren't your co-star! Again, surprisingly agile and expressive here.
The Fan - he's marvelous in this offbeat version of Lady Windermere, and he gets to portray an aged character, perfectly I might add.
Samson and Delilah - probably my earliest exposure to Sanders. I still LOVE this movie. And Sanders pain and jealousy has a lot to do with it.
Assignment Paris - I like his love/hate relationship with Dana Andrews, his jealousy
While the City Sleeps - I like the interplay between him and Ida Lupino
The Picture of Dorian Gray - he is icily cold, but the look on his face when he sees the disfigured portrait.... well, he's surprisingly expressive, and it's not the emotions you expect.
The Strange Woman
The Private Affairs of Bel Ami - cold, almost too cold for my liking. He saves it somehow at the end.
The Falcon series - suave and funny, love his humor in these films
Allegheny Uprising - He;s the epitome of the British redcoat, stuck on rules so much that he doesn't realize he's losing the war
The Saint series - dashing and light
Call Me Madam - oh lordy his singing voice. If that doesn't give him away as a sentimental fool...
Man Hunt - I wonder if he thought he'd be stuck as a Nazi for his whole career?
Lured - swoon
Hangover Square - swoon
The Lodger - swoon
Village of the Damned
Rage in Heaven
Confessions of a Nazi Spy - so effective as Nazis for some reason.
The Last Voyage I like him here even though he practically kills everyone on board, he is deluded enough to believe he's done right
Sundown - not much for him to do here
Forever Amber
- he's such a jerk in this one!
Moonfleet - no redeeming characteristics
The Son of Monte Cristo - I remember seeing this one at a young age, along with Love is News and Lloyds of London, but I remember nothing but his evilness. I'm pretty sure he made up to Joan Bennett, and I'm pretty sure I thought he was sexy. I'd love to take another look someday.
The Man Who Could Work Miracles - Indifference personafied, and he's funny.
Things to Come

The thing that's sort of amazing about this list is that I like almost every one of these movies, even down to the bottom of the list, and George makes them all infinitely better.
ChiO

Re: George Sanders - Dear Boy in Exile

Post by ChiO »

WITNESS TO MURDER. Coming soon to the Stanwyck Salute night of your (bad) dreams. George at his most adorably slimiest.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

YES! A movie I haven't seen yet, I was just looking it up. I literally can't wait to see George and Stany face off, he's a stalker of some kind, no?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Of some kind, yes. Think GASLIGHT with better direction and with some REAR WINDOW tossed in.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

excellent summery of the fabulous cad, Wendy.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks very much, mongo!

Gaslight AND Rear Window? WOW, how come I've never seen this one before? It sounds great. Whoopee!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My favourite George film is Voyage to Italy, an absolute nightmare for him but he rather sheds the dear boy persona of Rebecca and other films and becomes a husband in a decaying marriage with Ingrid Bergman, it's a fine film and one that needs to be revisited.

I read his autobiography last year, he was a man who knew profound sadness in parts of his life, a shame he couldn't enjoy his talents and fortune without the ennui. A fantastically talented man and much missed.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on December 15th, 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Was that his autobiography or the newer bio on him? I've been wondering whether I should try reading that bio, Alison, if you read the newer book, can you give it a recommendation?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

First of all: YAY YAY YAY and HURRAY for a thread on our Dear Boy (LOVE your title!)

Second of all, Witness to Murder must be seen, if you can't wait or miss it on TCM it's here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Third of all, great listing (in order of your preference, I presume?) of Georgie's movies.

About some of his lesser known roles:

THE BLACK SWAN, where George has a field day swashing his buckle and shivering his timbers with Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara.

SON OF FURY - George plays the thoroughly vile picture of an archtypical English lordling who thinks he owns the world and everyone around him. Really odious character even more distasteful than his Nazis somehow. Perhaps because of the unquestioning "entitlement" he invests the character with; such a modern disease, too.

THE STRANGE WOMAN, one of George's straight romantic leads and very effective opposite siren Hedy Lamaar.

THE SEVENTH SIN, this version of Maugham's tale of adultery isn't the best, but George is a saving grace. He invests his ne'er do well expat with a seedy neediness that steals the show. You can definitely see the "dear boy".

I love him as "Indiff"!

Fourthly: THERE'S A NEW BIO ON GEORGE?????? (Moira! Moira! Moira! That's an author we need to visit us! :D )

Fifthly: The George Sanders Movie I Want to See the Most: CAPTAIN BLACKJACK, written and directed by Julien Duvivier. Anyone here seen it?????

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh boy! THANKS SO MUCH for the link Goddess! I literally can't wait for the movie.

My movies ARE listed in order of preference, I occupied my mind with it all day long yesterday, I needed something to get my mind off other events.

I don't think the 'new' bio is all that new, I think it's by someone named de Beets. I thought it came out a couple years ago.

I've never seen any of those movies, though I could have kicked myself for missing Son of Fury when it was on recently, I caught a smidgen of it and it looked fantastic. Captain Blackjack sounds and looks glorious!

I really like The Strange Woman, it's a total guilty pleasure, just a whole lot of fun. Hedy gets a bad rep but she did some good movies. Gene Lockhart is so sleazy in this one, he and George are a wonderful pair, I'm glad they got to work together in a few movies anyway.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Son of Fury was recently on YouTube, but Fox yanked it. :(

It's based on a true life person and events, though of course dramatized. I remember it inspired me to read up on the real "Benjamin Blake".
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't know that! Now I HAVE to watch it when it comes round again. And maybe I'll do some reading too. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is a link to the reading thread when I read about George Sanders http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ers#p91283 I like him in movies but I don't think he came across for me in words as well as I had expected. I think the reason is two fold, I think he masked a great deal of what he was feeling, nothing wrong with that and he's feels very upper class English to me which doesn't carry a great appeal for me. He is an actor I enjoy and I've realised an icon, I mean that voice, it's lucious but I haven't watched him in very many films.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember you writing that now I've read it again.

Was he actually upper crust though? I am quite curious as to what his upbringing was. I really should read the book I guess, I just don't want to come out of it not liking him.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Dear Boy was an exceptional actor. As is sometimes said of athletes, he had control. The emotions he presented were precise. Maybe not easy to describe. But we don't have to explain the character. We just enjoy the performance. This man's work was almost always good.