Funday Night

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Funday Night

Post by mrsl »

I missed the first 5 minutes, but sat and watched Wizard of Oz all through, and caught Spongebob and the kids at the end. Looks like it may be a good idea, but I do think they should stick to kids' movies more than films like Bringing up Baby next week. As a second week entry, I feel Lassie would have been more appropriate, or On Moonlight Bay, where kids are more entwined in the story because as I said, kids are drawn to kids and animals in movies and I'm afraid Cary and Kate will just seem foolish to kids. If I'm wrong, and you've had your kids watch, please feel free to correct me.

Sprited Away:

Being in a youthful state of mind, I continued to watch this animated Japanese film. Well, even though I watched the whole thing from start to finish, I'm not sure if I liked it. I was a little horrified, but mesmerized. While watching, I realized our own fairy tales are quite violent, but the violence seemed to stand out more in this than in say, Beauty and the Beast. I have to give the creator credit for somehow making you 'feel' for the characters. Just as in that one about the Japanese boy trying to take care of his little sister after the bombing, I felt fear and empathy for Sen, or Shariko. The sight of the parents turning into pigs shocked me so much that I uttered some kind of surprise at the TV. I kind of laughed at the black cloaked figures, they reminded me of the figures in Scream.

What do the rest of you think of these 'anime' type of films?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
vallo

Post by vallo »

Most Kids now-a-days love anime. Do to the Video Game culture. Alot of the games stem from anime and their characters. I watch some Adult Anime of IFC on Friday Nights (when nothing else is on the Tube) it can be quite violent.
I think TCM is really trying to get a younger audience that cover the 14 to 30 yr. old demographic.

Kids see things different then we did as kids. We only had Black & White films at home. So we accept classics black & white today.
Last night Mr. Kenny (who voices SpongeBob) had to say to the kids that with his machine he'll turn B&W into color.
We watch (and loved) what was on TV years ago . But with Cable, computers and Video Games. It's hard to keep a kid concentrated on one thing at a time.
But sitting around with the family ,watching a film together is great and hopefuuly it works.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster