Loretta Young: January Star of the Month on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Loretta Young: January Star of the Month on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Anne--I think you caught the overnight Me-TV mini-marathon of Loretta Young Shows that were shown in Christmas week last month. I forgot to record it, darn it!

Larry--Thanks for adding your comments about Loretta Young and her family here. What style of decor did her mother Gladys lean toward? I have read that she was quite successful as an interior decorator.

Christy--Thank you so much for all those Loretta links, the surface of which I have only begun to scratch.

I would add my praise to others' enjoyment of Life Begins and found my movie-hatin' sis's comment that "the movie could have been used as an argument for birth control or chastity" was pretty accurate (and funny). Even though it was startling to see a film that was truly an ensemble piece, trying for verisimilitude and less glamour in that period, it was Loretta Young's sensitive performance (which was not affected by that horrible blond wig) and that of Eric Linden that became more moving by the end of the film, even though I knew I was being completely manipulated. That throb in his voice always made Linden sound as though he was about to burst into tears, but that quality was essential to his part here. His natural tendency toward anguish fit the role of husband of an expectant convict (Loretta, who seemed to be the least likely felon ever) perfectly in this case. This was enhanced by the fact that neither half of this couple looked older than 19 to me. Here are some clips from youtube of the two of them, which also features the great Aline MacMahon at her salty best:
[youtube][/youtube]

Did anyone spot an incredibly youthful-looking Paul Fix in the first moments of this movie as an anxious Dad? Did Preston Sturges have more than one line? I loved kingrat's comment about Gilbert Roland's unmistakable leading man air in his brief moment on screen, even though he never spoke a word of English.

I winced when Glenda Farrell's character kept guzzling gin (fetal alcohol syndrome may not have been known by that name, but the effects were already noted medically)--but kept hoping that she would give at least one of her twins to the heartbroken Gilbert Roland and Dorothy Tree's Italian couple. I also wondered if Farrell actually named the twins after her favorite low down tune, Frankie (Francesca?) and Johnnie eventually when motherhood softened her brassiness. Elizabeth Patterson's heartless adoptee sure was enough to make anyone sober up. BTW, Patterson's equally snobby friend was played by Mary Philips (aka Mrs. Humphrey Bogart the Second & a very well known theatrical actress in her day).

Loose Ankles (1930) made me think that the filmmakers behind this early talkie may have been dipping into some of the illicit hooch that is central to the plots of such films. Frothy is too substantial a word to describe this story of a sassy heiress (Loretta Young, whose shapely ankle--complete with slave bracelet--is featured prominently in the first shot). Her inheritance of scads of moolah is dependent on some stodgy relatives (led by Louise Fazenda and her enormous bosom, which did not prevent her from demonstrating some comical wrestling holds). I loved the gaggle of gigolos who tried to tutor the comically virginal Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in the art of courting older, monied women, but best of all was the genteel yet decadent night club with the circus theme (and a female cat being tamed by guy with a whip). This is the best night club I've seen since Madam Satan (1930), though much less lavish than the DeMIlle film.

Too bad Loretta's cousin in the film and companion in crime, Inez Courtney, the gamine flapper with the voice like a rusty gate, didn't have a better written role in her debut film. A bit of a Broadway musical legend in the '20s, Inez was in the original casts of Good News, Spring Is Here, and one of the last Ziegfeld shows, America's Sweetheart, featuring immortal tunes from Rodgers & Hart, Henderson, DaSylva and Brown. She went on to appear in over fifty movies, usually as an annoying pal to the heroine with allegedly comic undertones. You can see Inez smoking furiously in this clip set in the night club while Loretta and Doug bill and coo a bit:
[youtube][/youtube]

I Like Your Nerve (1931), teaming Young and young Doug again, was another head-scratcher in terms of plot and motivations, with a story about a forced marriage set in a mythical Latin American country with a script that seemed composed of discarded bits and pieces of Rio Rita, The Coconuts, and (hey!) Loose Ankles. Maybe the movie would have made more sense if the first scene, which IMDb says was missing was included:
The opening scene is missing in the TCM print, according to synopses reported in contemporary reviews. In that scene, the Douglas Fairbanks Jr. character is a bookworm who goes to Central America when advised to do so by a fortune-teller. The missing scene may account for the TCM print being shorter than the reported running time.
The best part of the film: Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., whose only assets in this movie appear to be a grand looking touring car, a well-cut blazer set off by some dazzling white flannel pants, and a beaming smile. He only seems to have been directed to use that smile as much as possible at all times, even if it hurts. I believe that Warner Brothers thought that Loretta and Doug could have been a good team on screen, though I don't think these two charmers could have done it without some better scripts.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Gladys Beltzer mostly decorated in the "California look" and a formal outlay; although she wasn't glued to any one style, I don't think.

When William Haines presented my grandmother with his modern plastic look and everything rather stark (Joan Crawford like this style), Nell told him she didn't want Modern USA or Early American, But "Early Winter Palace!!".... And, Gladys gave it to her.
Gladys often told me that Nell's politics were to the right of Catherine the Great - and she was right...

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Moira,

Gladys Beltzer mostly decorated in the "California look" and a formal outlay; although she wasn't glued to any one style, I don't think.

When William Haines presented my grandmother with his modern plastic look and everything rather stark (Joan Crawford like this style), Nell told him she didn't want Modern USA or Early American, But "Early Winter Palace!!".... And, Gladys gave it to her.
Thanks, Larry. I admire some of the individual pieces designed by Haines and think he was sensibly reacting to the over-decorated interiors that were once in vogue, though living in his designs would require more care than most of us are capable of maintaining in our daily lives (Of course, most of us don't have Joan Crawford to show us how to do this either). I haven't found any images of any Gladys Beltzer designs along the lines of "Early Winter Palace" though there are lots of images of Gladys around, with the evidence of the big eyes and large cheekbones that made her daughters so photogenic.

BTW, if anyone has a chance to see TCM The Show, found here, the program about this month on TCM presented by Robert Osborne, the host tells an amusing story about a visit he paid to Loretta at her home when he was a young journalist. Let's just say, the lady had stage savvy to spare!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've asked the same question about Cary Grant in the past, he did change the side his hair was parted on the advice of Von Sternberg but this was earlier on in his career. I think he had a nose job, controversial thought perhaps but his appearance does alter in the mid thirties, not much but he unmistakeably becomes the Cary Grant we know and love. Born to Be Bad isn't the best precode but it is quite fun.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

A beautiful girl:

Read about the work behind her glamor, by clicking on her photo.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I need an entire course with Ms. Young.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

(( Sigh! )) You and me both, Bub!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's more my style sense.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

HA!!! BUB!!!!

I see your little brother on the left.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

In a nod to Loretta Young's Centennial Celebration, Me-TV is showing four hours of The Loretta Young Show on Sunday, Jan. 20th beginning at 3pm (ET). The network reports that they will also be including comments from her family during this lineup as well as a visit to the exhibit of Young costumes and memorabilia currently open. You can see more, including some clips at the link below:

http://metvnetwork.com/streaming.php?se ... annelID=23

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yay! Thanks for the info Moira! I'll have to banish myself to the upstairs tv to get a look.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It looks like I'll miss this presentation, as I'm at the library right now. I commend this offbeat TV channel for digging so deep in our cultural history. A lot of people don't even remember the shows of the 1960's and 70's. This little anthology is from even farther back. I was lucky to enjoy a few episodes on Christmas Eve. A lovely way to spend a late night holiday!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Just saw part of the "Inga" episode and it was sweet. Reminds me a little of The Farmer's Daughter.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor